IGNORED

An unwanted passenger

eddd

I took off work Friday to meet my sister and brother-in-law in Del Rio. He was entered in a fishing tournament. Great day for a ride, and a nice destination.

While sitting at a light in Carrizo Springs, I attracted about half a dozen bees. I'm kind of used to bees being attracked to my jacket since it is black and yellow, but one of the bees decided to hitch a ride. As I drove away from the light it quickly became clear that one of the little buggers was inside my helmet. It was crawling around on my face.

Riding down the road, I lifted the front of the helmet and my passenger was took off. First time I'd be two-up on my RT.

I thought I had a bee crawling about on my neck once. Left it alone and after a bit I casually moved my hand along the collar of my jacket and pow, right in the neck. Glad I'm not allergic!

Then the little dying bugger crawled down my shirt and started doing laps arond my armpit. Had to pull over and rid myself of that nonsense.

My father tells the story about getting a bumble bee in his T-shirt when he was out on Harley in the early 50's. It stung him 7 times on the chest (bumble bees apparently don't lose their stingers). He said other drivers that he had gone nuts because he was pounding away at his chest...

I got stung once on a ride also. I had the collar of my jacket open and unzipped a bit because it was hot. I felt something hit me and then felt the sting on the side of my neck.

eek.gif

Glad to hear your incident came out alright.

One of the first posts I read here was about someone that found a spider crawling on him at a stop light. It was one of the funniest posts I have ever read. I can't remember who posted it but I'd sure love to get a copy of that one!

Great story, as I read I could picture that jiggy dance like it was happening in front of me. grin.gif

No jiggy dance for my little old bee. I've become very comfortable around bees over the years. When killer bess first started appearing in the US from Mexico, someone genius or geniuses decided that the fire department would be the ones to handle "bee calls". Of course local media scared the c*** out of everyone, and we ended up purchasing bee suits, carrying dish soap and hoses, and making mdifications to apparatus to be able to respond to hundreds of calls. Most calls were for a small swarm that was moving and had settle for the night on a tree limb. Of course we also found cases were it was wasps, mud daubers, flies, kind of anything with wings. There were some attacks and those still continue from time to time, but luckily the media has moved on to other topics. We respond to all attacks just as we would any rescue, except we are in bee suits.

I once got nailed right on the adams apple while riding at my relative's farm. Swelling started immediately. I went back to the house and my Grandma made a paste with baking soda and water. Held that on the sting for 10 mins.

Swelling went away and it was as if I had never been stung at all. Granny magic!

I had one go up the cuff of my jacket. Pulled over, took the jacket off...no sign of the culprit, but I was able to recover its stinger from my forearm.

The first time I rode in the N. Ga, TN and NC area - I bee flew into my helmet and stung me under my eye.

I was on a two lane road with no where to turn off.

My eye swelled up so much that the only pair of Rx glasses that would fit over it was my Rayband Wayfarer sunglasses.

One fine spring day in 1983 I was riding through the mountains of North Georgia on a red Honda CB250 and bright orange shirt. I was sober so it concerned me when a rock seemingly levitated from the road and suspended in mid-aireek.gif . The last thing I saw before it hit me right between the eyes was wings and antennaeeek.gifeek.gif. The next to last thing through the bug's head was "That flower is moving really fast". lmao.gif

Archived