IGNORED

Coming from midwest- N. Dakota , Is it worth a look ?

90RedRider

I am familiar with S. Dakota and have favorite routes. Are there great scenic roads thru N. Dakota I should try. Will likely be followed by friends in a motorhome. Coming from the direction of Duluth . Would typically drop down and cross S. Dakota below I-90 on secondary roads that I like.

We're thinking of a similar venture. What South Dakota roads would you recommend? My dad was born there in Webster.

I wish I could help with the N.D. question, but I'm wondering the same thing tongue.gif

You will have to work harder to find interesting routes in ND compared to SD. I find it interesting in that the state shows very well the dying small towns and farms that made up much of the US of 100 years ago. Similar environment to my cousin's 5000 acre farm in SK, where they struggle to break even. You can see much of the same in SD with more variety. If ND is on your way, it is worth seeing. Prepare to be "blown away", literally! The wind never seems to stop.

Fightingpiper

The furthest west I have been is Carrington, ND so I am not the best for info. If your gonna be in Duluth probably the the best bet would be to take hwy 2 across MN,ND, and MT and hit Glacier National Park and then head south to John Day. Not much to see across ND but the destination would be worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Let me answer your question with a question:

Have you ever known anyone to go for a vacation to ND?

There's your answer!

Except for Theodore Roosevelt National Park (the Badlands) in the west of the state the rest is like, well......North Dakota.

The Seattle area is filled with ex-North Dakotans. In fact, I'm not sure anyone lives there any more....

• 2 weeks later...
Davitt_Potter

Do that again. Bend south and come on back through the Black Hills. The best part about North Dakota is when you leave it. smile.gif I've looked for good roads in North Dakota. Nada. AND the NoDak HiPo is *very* anal about speed limits... blush.gif

Sorry, South Dakota/North Dakota have this rivalry. They're just upset because we're tropical compared to them!

I am originally from the Midwest and have spend a significant amount of time in North Dakota. This is a great state to ride through if you like flat wide open planes and farmlands that allow you to see for miles and miles. You will have great scenery of combines, swathers, and other great John Deer tractors! clap.gif

Archived