IGNORED

Crash in my backyard

tallman

Friday night my brother in-law was scheduled to arrive, by plane, at 8:45.

A bit before that time, loud sound.

At 8:45 we got a call that a plane had crashed at one of the major intersections, about a par 4 distance from our house.

eek.gif

Fearing the worst we headed out, using cell phones to communicate.

It is populated, but woodsy, between our house and the intersection. Power was out, police lights everywhere, intersections and roads blocked.

Coming over a hill we saw this.

DSC00876-1.jpg

DSC00880-1.jpg

DSC00883-1.jpg

DSC00882-1.jpg

DSC00879-1.jpg

We could tell it was a private plane, not the small commercial flight he was on.

Our concern turned to the pilot.

Kudos to the Tallahassee Police, Fire, EMT, and citizens who assisted, and then maintained an orderly vigil. thumbsup.gifApproximately 1,500 people were there. No one interfered with or hindered the situation.

We headed home, contacted Beth’s brother by cell and directed him around the closed roads to our home.

Needless to say we were glad to see him.

The pilot survived, update today says broken knee and collarbone, some small punctures and cuts.

A lucky man. clap.gif

I guess the advantage of a small plane like that is this: it's one large crumple zone. The disadvantage is that it's obviously not going to buff out. grin.gif

Awhile back a pilot ran out of fuel about 3 miles from us. He glided to Thompson Lane, touched down hard, right behind a Ford Expedition, then bounced, clipped the roof rack, and settled back down for the second landing in front of the SUV. That would definitely wake you up.

Pilot reported "dead stick" just before hitting the tallest utility pole in the city.

He is employed by Homeland Security.

This is not a test...

Pilot reported "dead stick" just before hitting the tallest utility pole in the city.

He is employed by Homeland Security.

This is not a test...

"Dead Stick" ?????? Probabally ran out of fuel. The #1 reason small planes fall out of the sky. I've pushed the tank on occasion, but less as I gained hours. 8000 plus ATP now...no freaking way. I KNOW how to use a calculator.

Bystanders reported no lights on the plane.

Perhaps an electrical problem?

External electrical power (like from an alternator or battery) is not necessary for running the engine or for anything having to do with flying the plane, so that's not likely the culprit. And if he "reported" something on the radio, he had electrical power of some kind anyway.

When little planes like this go down, you can assume that most of the reasons given are bullshit meant to CYA. tongue.gif It was probably a fuel issue, he got lost, ice on the wings, he went VFR --> IMC, or he stalled it (for another reason besides ice).

i found this update from the Tallahassean Seminoleun..."Pilot error has been ruled out...it was determined that the pilot, a Mr. O. Wright, had pressure washed the aircraft prior to the flight. In addition the flight path was embedded with numerous rainstorms. Apparantly the aircrafts HES needed replacing and was impacted by the moisture. One of the first responders was concerned citizen Mr. T Tallman, who stated that the crash occured a 4 par from his house. Mr. Tallman would not elaborate on whether it was Tiger Woods 4 Par or actually a 5 Par for mortals. Mr. Wright was able to repair the aircraft after a rush order from BeemerBoneyard arrived containing a new HES....late night pizza deliveries were able to resume shortly thereafter... "

"Dead Stick" ?????? Probabally ran out of fuel.. ...8000 plus ATP now...no freaking way. I KNOW how to use a calculator.

Famous last words tongue.gif. Never say 'Never!' my friend, 'cause that's just about the time when it will jump up and bite one in the butt wink.gif

"Dead Stick" ?????? Probabally ran out of fuel.. ...8000 plus ATP now...no freaking way. I KNOW how to use a calculator.

Famous last words tongue.gif. Never say 'Never!' my friend, 'cause that's just about the time when it will jump up and bite one in the butt wink.gif

Amen to that!

It never ceases to amaze me the number of pilots who die because they tried to stretch the fuel a bit too far...

(Source: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/month.asp )

i found this update from the Tallahassean Seminoleun..."Pilot error has been ruled out...it was determined that the pilot, a Mr. O. Wright, had pressure washed the aircraft prior to the flight. In addition the flight path was embedded with numerous rainstorms. Apparantly the aircrafts HES needed replacing and was impacted by the moisture. One of the first responders was concerned citizen Mr. T Tallman, who stated that the crash occured a 4 par from his house. Mr. Tallman would not elaborate on whether it was Tiger Woods 4 Par or actually a 5 Par for mortals. Mr. Wright was able to repair the aircraft after a rush order from BeemerBoneyard arrived containing a new HES....late night pizza deliveries were able to resume shortly thereafter... "

I don't know about that, it was reported in The Capitol Crapper that his final drive failed.

Archived