IGNORED

You think you could pull 7+ G's?

KMG_365

too old to care

What a lucky guy to get the ride. After my first test ride on a K1200RS I made the comment, “I now know what it feels like to get launched off an aircraft carrier.” This gentleman standing next to me at the shop said, “No you don’t.”

I learned talking to him that he flew for the Navy years earlier and said that nothing can duplicate the actual launch. I guess I never will know and take his word for it.

Thanks for sharing the video.

the pilot in that clip Lt.Cmdr. Kevin Davis was killed in a crash

That is very sad news.

Godspeed, Lt. Commander Davis. Your sacrafice was not in vain.

Nice video - otherwise would have been my number 1 occupation.

But yes - I occasionally get to pull up to about 9 G's in an Extra 300L.

ShovelStrokeEd

I have done 3+ g's on my drag bike and I can tell you, that feels like your eyeballs are getting flattened. If you don't align your head and lower spine it will whiplash you big time. DAMHIK!!

Top fuel guys see 5g pretty regularly and 4.5 seconds later get the same or more in the other direction when the chutes open. That latter is so violent it ended the career of Don Garlits. Detached retina.

7g? Not for this old fart, it would probably kill me.

Wow, Pat . . . how sad to hear that this brave pilot lost his life doing what he loved. I was very impressed with his demeanor and professionalism--no bravado, no trying to scare the reporter, with a good eye towards safety. How sad indeed. bncry.gif

No, the Navy guys don't take us up. I've been on quite a few gnarly medical aids on board the carriers (guy crushed under one of those huge steel blast deflectors that hydraulically pop up out of the launch deck for the planes to push off of, four guys in a small controil room severely burned when a 600Amp breaker exploded, etc.), but I've never been up in a fighter. For those of you who have never been on board an aircraft carrier--it is INCREDIBLE how big these new floating cities are! eek.gif

We've actually got the USS Midway docked here in San Diego as a floating museum and it has one of each kind of plane that ever launched off her deck on board on display. Sounds like a good "In Search Of . . . " Ride in conjunction with the Miramar Air Show next August! thumbsup.gif

"We've actually got the USS Midway docked here in San Diego as a floating museum and it has one of each kind of plane that ever launched off her deck on board on display."

I took the girlies to see that a couple of years back. You're right: It's fargin' BIG! A great thing to visit.

Oh, & with regards to that 7G thing, you should FEEL the G's when I'm really in a hurry in the company car!

Actually, now that my aging memory is becoming coffee-clear, I think it's actually "Gee, we're moving." sleep.gif Sorry. My mistake. Back to your enthralling "How many miles do YOU get from your Pilots" thread.

Yep,

I'm a certified G-Junkie! i got 4 in an old warbird and didn't even sweat! One of these days I'm gonna find someone that will give me a 9G ride!!!

Oh, and a little reminder of when I got to meet Lt. (at the time) Davis:

155892058_eDe8T-L.jpg

I actually got to talk with him a bit, as he was the narrator and media guy at the time flying the number 7 (2 seater) jet:

155892439_6hU2n-L.jpg

We've actually got the USS Midway docked here in San Diego as a floating museum and it has one of each kind of plane that ever launched off her deck on board on display. Sounds like a good "In Search Of . . . " Ride in conjunction with the Miramar Air Show next August! thumbsup.gif
I'd definitely be IN for that ...!

Dr. John Stapp (USAF) accidentally withstood 46.2 g in the rocket sled. Now THAT deserves a 'daaaayyyyyuuuummmm!'.

Do a google on his research on ejection seats and seat belts.

It was a very cool day! Link to story is here.

And MrT, I'm all up for a 9G ride any time. I'm sure I can work out some kind of payment! lmao.gifblush.gif

Be happy to - we can split the cost of the "rent" I need to pay to my instructor friend for the plane, plus a few beers afterwards. Of course, a few beers before hand might make for a more exciting ride!

I've been up in an Extra 300 . The most we hit was 4.5 - 5 gs . I was very close to loosing my cookies at the end of that . I got to fly inverted do loops and 400degree/sec rolls ,spins and hammer head turns . Where I got bad was when I wasn't doing the flying . But at about 5gs I started experiencing tunnel vision .It was weird first the color in my perifriel (however thats spelled) vision was gone just b&w then the vision was gone except right in front . Most fun I ever had off the ground . Dave

I've been up in an Extra 300 . The most we hit was 4.5 - 5 gs . I was very close to loosing my cookies at the end of that . I got to fly inverted do loops and 400degree/sec rolls ,spins and hammer head turns . Where I got bad was when I wasn't doing the flying . But at about 5gs I started experiencing tunnel vision .It was weird first the color in my perifriel (however thats spelled) vision was gone just b&w then the vision was gone except right in front . Most fun I ever had off the ground . Dave

Yep, and even though an Extra can structurally withstand +/- 10 g's, you can generally only exceed 6 for very short periods of time without passing out (one of the limitations of having no g-suit.) And I absolutely get nauseated if I'm not doing the flying, as well.

Archived