IGNORED

Researching Metal Buildings

Joel

As the quest to relocate Team Schnauzer's HQ to a more rural site continues, I'm starting to research metal building manufacturers with a view toward soliciting bids for a 1,200 to 1,500 sf building that would serve as a detached garage, workshop and storage area. So far, I'm looking at the products offered by Cleary, Lester and Morton. Anyone care to share their thoughts on these three, any of the other manufacturers, or metal buildings in general? TIA.

As the quest to relocate Team Schnauzer's HQ to a more rural site continues, I'm starting to research metal building manufacturers with a view toward soliciting bids for a 1,200 to 1,500 sf building that would serve as a detached garage, workshop and storage area. So far, I'm looking at the products offered by Cleary, Lester and Morton. Anyone care to share their thoughts on these three, any of the other manufacturers, or metal buildings in general? TIA.

Joel, I can’t help you very much on the comparison but can say I know 2 people with a Morton & they both really like them.. When I built my second barn I looked into the Morton as they have a good reputation but the price kind turned me in another direction..

If you live in an area with changing winter weather (cold-to hot-to- cold) & possible moisture in the air be wary of a metal roof unless you heat it ALL the time as you could run into a moisture & roof sweating/dripping problem..

Twisty

Hi Joel. I built a metal sides/shingle roof building a short time back. I was concerned about condensation, especially from a metal roof, even with an optional vapor barrier package, that's why I chose the wood/shingle roof as it doesn't sweat. The building is super tight even with a full length vented ridge cap. I checked out the names you did. Morton was expensive around here. Cleary gave me a good price. They have built barns/equipment buildings in my area also. I went to the larger lumber centers in my area and got prices from them too. Most of them gave erected prices as well as the national companies. I ended up buying a package from a ma & pa lumberyard 30 miles from me. They gave me a great price, service, and free delivery of all materials. Most pole building packages don't include eaves on the buildings. Make sure you ask about them as I wouldn't have a building without them. They cost a little more.

pic attached!

990762-Barn1.jpg.09f30052997fa6c5b4d213c945a094a0.jpg

Talk to the larger demolition contractors in your area. My brother used to get a call from Penske out here from time to time saying they had a building he could have if he removed it in say 2 weeks. Then he would scramble to find a buyer if he found one he would go tear it down and move it to the new site. If he couldn't find a buyer he would pass on it. Some of these buildings were huge. He called me to to help him look at one at Disney in Burbank it was 350 thousand square feet including a second floor inside 20 x 30 foot roll electric roll up doors. The building was 5 years old. We couldn't find a buyer so wee had to let it go. It would have took 20-30 men to tear it out in the 3 weeks they gave him.

• 3 weeks later...

Last year I built a steel shop/garage manufactured by Future Steel Buildings and I couldn't be happier. I had over the years looked at the standard type metal pole barn type buildings and the main negative feature is the use of wood framing and poles. You can get them all metal, but then the price really goes way up. Future Steel buildings are all steel, no wood involved, and had the reputation and know-how that I was looking for. At the time I was shopping for a building, Future Steel had some buildings that were on sale and they made me a deal I couldn't refuse, roughly a 30% savings. The savings paid for my foundation. I went ahead and also purchased an insualtion package and that was well worth the modest additional cost. The construction design makes their buildings nearly impervious to snow loads and hurricane force winds, if that may be a consideration.

How are you making out on your building? You might check out www.Lesterbuildings.com as they are sold out in your area.

We haven't made a decision yet. We've gotten helpful information from and about Morton and Cleary. Nothing yet from Lester, but we'll be checking in with them. So far, I'm leaning toward Cleary, as their pricing seems better than Morton's, their lead times are shorter, and the quality seems comparable, plus there are a LOT of Cleary buildings in the area. We've still got some research to do, and we don't have the site under contract yet either.

Greg, thanks for the link to Future Steel Buildings. I like their clear spans, and the pricing seems competitive, but I'm not too keen on their exterior styling. Maybe it will grow on me.

Greg, thanks for the link to Future Steel Buildings. I like their clear spans, and the pricing seems competitive, but I'm not too keen on their exterior styling. Maybe it will grow on me.
I understand the aesthetics issue. They are not conventional buildings I'll grant you that. You can put a front fascia on them, pictures of such are on their website. I can say that after a very short time, the style becomes a non-issue, at least for us. I felt the value was really good. We really like the clear-span interior, available up to 100' wide. Whichever way you go, I'm sure you will be happy. thumbsup.gif

Archived