IGNORED

Bobby Knight resigned

WestTX RT

Who's Bob Knight? (Not joking.)

That's what I was wondering, so I Googled him -- he was the basketball coach at Texas Tech.

Heard about this and all I can say it to bad for the players. I hate it when coaches ditch the players. These kids want to play for this guy because he wins. These kids go to a school for the coach and when they leave it mess them up. Oh well I just feel sorry for the players.

As others have said, he's an a-1, classless, no honor, jack butt. Nice stunt with the grand baby on his lap. To leave his players mid-season just shows what we've all known for a loooooong time...He's a freakin crybaby and it's all about him all the time.

Yeah, but for classless, he's no Bill Belichick!

Matt my friend, I disagree with ya, Knight is worse.

Oh, BTW, I don't like him.

You'll find a boatload of fellow coaches and players who have a lot of respect for him.

I know a couple men that have met him and they were very impressed.

If I had a son that played b-ball. BK would be one of the coaches I would want him to play for.

Whip

You'll find a boatload of fellow coaches and players who have a lot of respect for him.

I'll give you the fact he's brilliant in his coaching schemes and I think that's what they respect. But as a man and human being, I don't know their opinions, but having met the fool on several occasions, I found him to be a self centered, egotistical, a-hole. Others may not and may find me to be that way. Who's to say.

To each his own I guess.

Me too. Discipline. Growing up. Doing well in school.

I don't condone some of the antics, but I don't believe he's the demon some people think. I'd call him more of a polarizing fellow.

Like most of the others here, I'm not a big fan of Bob Knight, but the accounts I've heard indicate that he always placed a lot of emphasis on his players' academics, resulting in one of the highest graduation rates among Division I programs (98% since he started coaching back in 1965). In an era when college athletic programs--and by inference the universities they represent--abandon their player/atheletes' educations for the sake of generating revenue, that deserves some mention.

Some may also recall that a few years ago Knight voluntarily forfeited his base salary because he was not happy with his performance at Texas Tech.

Yep, the guy's a jerk, but he also has some deeply held principles that he's acted on in a positive way. It's a shame that he allowed his asinine behavior to tarnish an otherwise incredible career.

It sounds like what several people here are implying is that you can behave badly as long as you recommend to other people that they behave well. First and foremost a good leader sets a good example.

It sounds like what several people here are implying is that you can behave badly as long as you recommend to other people that they behave well. First and foremost a good leader sets a good example.

You've got to be a tad careful in rating sins. He has a terrible temper, which gains notoriety because it's so visible. But to my knowledge, he didn't cheat, lie, back stab, pander to fans, or think money was too important.

The local sports station has had a litany of former players and coaches extolling how much he taught them about life, so it might be a bit simplistic to make that sort of statement.

It sounds like what several people here are implying is that you can behave badly as long as you recommend to other people that they behave well.

That's pretty much the opposite of the way I feel, but I'm willing to look beyond the public antics to the substance of what lies beneath. In part, I'm willing to cut him some slack because of my feeling that college sports, at least at the Division I level, are a corrupting influence that diminish what should be the core values and missions of our universities. Somehow Knight managed to overcome that corruption, emphasizing winning and education at the same time.

You've got to be a tad careful in rating sins. He has a terrible temper, which gains notoriety because it's so visible. But to my knowledge, he didn't cheat, lie, back stab, pander to fans, or think money was too important.

The local sports station has had a litany of former players and coaches extolling how much he taught them about life, so it might be a bit simplistic to make that sort of statement.

Most of the people I've known who have been critics of Knight only knew him from his infamous moment - not as a long time fan of college basketball. As a coach he demanded the best of his players - both on and off the court. He expected the same of officials and journalists and wasn't afraid to let his opinions be known. He is principled, disciplined, and driven to win.

Has Knight made mistakes? Certainly, but before you condemn Knight show me a single person who has never made a mistake.

There are few college coaches who have done so much for so many players - Bobby Knight stands among the finest. Period. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

He's certainly been a polarizing figure, and I suppose he will continue to be. I respect his record and that so many of his former players and assistants regard him so highly, but I have a hard time looking past his bad behavior. Knight might be at the top of the mens coaching list in wins, but there's a long list of great coaches, including John Wooden, Dean Smith, Pat Summit, Mike Krzyzewski, Lute Olson, Roy Williams and more, who have proved that you can win and be well-respected without being a jerk.

so it might be a bit simplistic to make that sort of statement.
Fair enough... we get enough overly simplistic comments in these threads as it is... grin.gif

And fans as well - I being one of them. Never liked the teams he has coached but as Whip mentioned, I would have no qualms about having my kids play hoops for him. He has contributed a great deal and affected many players in a positive way - certainly more than he has 'hurt'.

The original poster child for bad behavior in sports. Good riddance. They should have baned him a long time ago in my book.

Coaches are sort of unique in sports in that the only opinion of them that really matters is that of their players (sure, there's the win/loss record, but that speaks for itself). The same doesn't hold true for athletes, who are judged by their teammates, opponents, parents, fans and of course their coaches.

I'm an addict of sports talk radio, and listening to the Jim Rome show this morning, it was apparent that most people don't get this. There's a tendency to view coaches as players, as performers or entertainers, as if our opinion of them somehow mattered. But it really doesn't.

Apparently Knight's players -- past and present -- hold him in the highest regard. When you combine that with his win/loss record, that's all that matters. The question I have about his seemingly abrupt resignation is what do his players think about it? Do they feel abandoned, let down, angry, etc., or is this something Knight has talked over with them and prepared them for? No players called in and I haven't read anything yet about their reaction.

So true Sean. Many of these players came to Tech because of him and him alone.

He sure gave the basketball program a nice boost while he was there.

Now that this thread seems to have finally exhausted itself, I need to ask, can we please talk about Brittney now? Oh uhm, looking back over this thread it seems maybe we already have. Killed two birds with one stone. I guess this thread can just continue on it's way... nothing more to say here.

lmao.gif

Archived