IGNORED

Major powertrain failure survey.

steve.foote

Ok, just a quick reminder. Please only report major powertrain failures. Specifically, we are after hard-part failures of the clutch splines, transmission, driveshaft and rear drive. Even though failures of clutches, seals, swingarm bearings, etc. cause obvious grief, they are not what we're collecting data on.

Also, when reporting a failure, make sure we get the following info:

Model Year:

Model (R1150RT, R1100GS, etc.):

Last 5 digits of SN:

Mileage at time of failure:

Date of failure:

Description of failure:

And finally, please continue to keep discussion out of this thread. If you need to discuss something, either PM me or start a new thread.

Thanks for all the responses so far! As we continue to collect data, the picture will continue to become sharper.

You are going to remember us with the old 1150 engines and the even older 1100s aren't you?

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

Anything to report on your GS?

confused.gif

YET? grin.gif

steve.foote

Don't worry, Dan. I'm keeping up with this thread and Oilheads in general. smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I got bitten by the powertrain failure bug on Sunday, 4/10 while riding in Rhode Island.

Model Year: 2001

Model (R1150RT, R1100GS, etc.): R1100RT

Last 5 digits of SN: 70030

Mileage at time of failure: 25,800

Date of failure: 4/10/2005

Description of failure: sudden loss of all power transmission to rear wheel accompanied by a loud noise "bang" and subsequent grinding/chattering noise (my son was following on his bike and heard the bang). The engine runs fine, but intermittently makes a screeching noise when idling in neutral, and more so when the clutch lever is pulled. With the motor off the rear wheel is easily turned with the transmission in any gear, with a rough grinding kind of feel. No power is transmitted to the rear wheel in any gear with the engine running.

I have not yet had the bike torn down to learn the root cause (estimated 6 hours of labor), but I suspect an input shaft spline failure, or perhaps a broken transmission shaft (given the loud "bang").

I had it towed to Razee's in R.I. - left it there in the night. Nice folks, they are letting me store it there indoors for free. Not so nice was Rhode Island Towing's "Ray," who immediately refused to tow it unless I assumed any liability for damage he might cause, asked me to sign so he could get paid anyway, and told my roadside service provider that I had refused the tow. He was extremely rude, borderline violent. I think he may have been drinking. The next tow operator took more than 2 more hours to arrive.

Failure cause confirmed - failure of clutch disk and transmission input shaft splines. Appears to be due to lack of lubrication, or incorrect lubrication at factory.

Note that there was a very dry, powdery, very bright white color substance on the input shaft and clutch disk spline area, that appears to have flung off initially, since there are radial streaks of it on the diaphragm spring. The input shaft splines are worn out, meaning they are thinned out progressively towards the rear of the wear area such that the top profile of each spline is no longer rectangular but rather triangular, and the diameter of the spline area decrease towards the rear of the wear area instead of remaining constant. Interestingly, there is a completely different lubrication compund on the drive shaft splines, which is a grey colored, gooey, sticky material that appears to be a molybdenum-disulfide type spline lube. These splines look new. The U-joints are tight, like new. The final drive input seal is leaking.

BMWNA declined to help in any way unless the bike was being repaired at a dealer, since only the dealer is a "trusted party" with regard to the bike's condition and history (direct quote). The extent of the help would probably be limited to parts. Since I'm doing this myself I'm apparently out of luck.

1150 RT

ZE89077

29,830 it was repaired, noticed at 27000 mi.

replaced clutch/ input shaft splines due to dry & wear, trans housing, and related bearings.

Repaired under factory warranty.

Model Year: 2002

Model (R1150RT, R1100GS, etc.): R1150R

Last 5 digits of SN: 45211

Mileage at time of failure: 42,750

Date of failure: May 05

Description of failure: FD crown bearing. Rear wheel felt rough when spun by hand. Upon disassembly, there were some metal flakes on the magnetic drain plug, one ball (out of 17) was severely pitted, and part of the outer race was pitted. Total cost of repair: $110. All other bearings, gears, and seals looked like new and were not replaced. Length of repair: about 3 hours. This bearing could probably have gone another 1000 miles or more before disintegrating, slashing the seal, and causing a disatrous end of trip. I believe that catastrophic FD failures might be avoided with occasional checks: just spin the rear wheel and see if there is any roughness.

509658-pitted.jpg.dc6fd9b084831dcc81ed849e11df7cdf.jpg

Well, I got bitten by the powertrain failure bug on Sunday, 4/10 while riding in Rhode Island.

Last 5 digits of SN: 70030

Mileage at time of failure: 25,800

Date of failure: 4/10/2005

Description of failure: sudden loss of all power transmission to rear wheel accompanied by a loud noise "bang" and subsequent grinding/chattering noise (my son was following on his bike and heard the bang). The engine runs fine, but intermittently makes a screeching noise when idling in neutral, and more so when the clutch lever is pulled. With the motor off the rear wheel is easily turned with the transmission in any gear, with a rough grinding kind of feel. No power is transmitted to the rear wheel in any gear with the engine running.

I have not yet had the bike torn down to learn the root cause (estimated 6 hours of labor), but I suspect an input shaft spline failure, or perhaps a broken transmission shaft (given the loud "bang").

I had it towed to Razee's in R.I. - left it there in the night. Nice folks, they are letting me store it there indoors for free. Not so nice was Rhode Island Towing's "Ray," who immediately refused to tow it unless I assumed any liability for damage he might cause, asked me to sign so he could get paid anyway, and told my roadside service provider that I had refused the tow. He was extremely rude, borderline violent. I think he may have been drinking. The next tow operator took more than 2 more hours to arrive.

Failure cause confirmed - failure of clutch disk and transmission input shaft splines. Appears to be due to lack of lubrication, or incorrect lubrication at factory.

Note that there was a very dry, powdery, very bright white color substance on the input shaft and clutch disk spline area, that appears to have flung off initially, since there are radial streaks of it on the diaphragm spring. The input shaft splines are worn out, meaning they are thinned out progressively towards the rear of the wear area such that the top profile of each spline is no longer rectangular but rather triangular, and the diameter of the spline area decrease towards the rear of the wear area instead of remaining constant. Interestingly, there is a completely different lubrication compund on the drive shaft splines, which is a grey colored, gooey, sticky material that appears to be a molybdenum-disulfide type spline lube. These splines look new. The U-joints are tight, like new. The final drive input seal is leaking.

BMWNA declined to help in any way unless the bike was being repaired at a dealer, since only the dealer is a "trusted party" with regard to the bike's condition and history (direct quote). The extent of the help would probably be limited to parts. Since I'm doing this myself I'm apparently out of luck.

Update - Wagner BMW in Shrewsbury, MA is helping to get support from BMW on this - hats off to them! Stay tuned.

jv

Model (R1150RT, R1100GS, etc.): R1150RT

Last 5 digits of SN: 87742

Mileage at time of failure: 47800

Date of failure: July 8, 2004

Description of failure: Final Drive

Model Year:

R1100-RT

Last 5 digits of SN:

Date of failure:

Sep 2000

Description of failure:

Seal leak complaint resulted in final drive crown bearing play detected during 18K service. Crown bearing replaced prior to failure.

• 1 month later...

Last 5 digits of SN: ze86913

1st failure - 17k miles , input shaft slines and other damaga internal in trans, tranny replaced with new one from BMW

2nd failure 36k miles almost a year later - input shaft bearing and seal failure

3rd failure 56k miles, input shaft splines gone again and other internal damaga, trans is getting replaced again ! going to be over 3k dollars this time!!!

Date of failure: 1st failure - april 2003, 2nd failure June 2004, third failure June 2005

Description of failure: input shaft problems all three times

new trans 1st time, repaired 2nd time getting replaced again third time!

YES I'm pissed and done with BMW's if they refuse to step up to the plate and take care of this now.

Tom (just had to add that comment)

• 3 months later...

Model Year: 2000

Model R1100RT

Last 5 digits of SN:

Mileage at time of failure: 64,000

Date of failure:10/05

Description of failure:

Input shaft failure, damaged clutch plate.

Resulted in a new transmission and clutch for $3,500.

Ouch. My enthusiasm for the brand has suffered a serious blow.

YES I'm pissed and done with BMW's if they refuse to step up to the plate and take care of this now.

Tom (just had to add that comment)

Tom:

I don't think anybody could blame you for being pissed, that's a lot of grief for one bike!

Bob

Model Year: 1998

Model (R1150RT, R1100GS, etc.): R1100RT-P

Last 5 digits of SN: ??

Mileage at time of failure: 57,002

Date of failure: Oct 3, 2005

Description of failure: splines worn to the point of failure.

R1150RT

VIN: 96045*

MILEAGE: 1,250

May 2005

Rubber bushing inside two piece driveshaft stripped out.

Replaced under warranty by A&S clap.gif

Last 5 digits of SN: (VIN) 68770

Mileage at time of failure: 35,000

Date of failure: Fall 2002

Description of failure: NO FAILURE! I had difficulty downshifting to 3rd and 2nd. Something had to be lubed which entailed significant work by dealer. BMWNA and my dealer ate all the costs.

Well, at 70,000 miles, my input shaft finally went. That, a new clutch, and some other parts totalled to about $2K by a local mechanic. My faith in the brand hasn't been shaken. If anything, it's stronger because now I know the signs of a failing transmission -- resistance when downshifting.

If you experience a sticky shifter, get it lubed NOW!

Rich06FJR1300

2002 R1150RT

31,960 miles

vin: 86091

date of failure: returning from my trip from the RA rally, October 10th, 2005

Lost clutch release (i know not a critical failure) however, upon getting home thankfully...looked at the final drive and saw the oil oozing out of the inner seal. So the bearing is toast but made it home before it collapsed altogether. Having my dealer pick it up, bike is out of warranty but dealer will do a tear down to see how bad this is and the clutch area. Writing a letter to BMW NA.

Gee i never did do a update on this did I,

anyhow thanks to BMW of Atlanta we were taken care of, they showed BMW NA that this was not due to neglect or abuse and it was due more to inmporper installation the last time,

That dealer went all out to help us on our tranny, it took time but they got it taken care of, we have a new trans at bmw's expense, never have I had a dealer go to bat like they did, and I didn;t even buy our bikes there, but I buy everything from them I poossibly can.

Tom

I have not had a failure (02 1150rt, 28K), but this thread has gotten me worried. Does a spline lube need to be done on 1150's, how often?, prevention for FD failures?, newby, so any input is appreciated.

According to what I have heard and read it;s a very good idea to do it about every 40-50k, a tech tolds me at one time BMW recomended that for a service interval, how true that is I'm not sure

the ibmwr.org list has had many discussions on that

According to what I have heard and read it;s a very good idea to do it about every 40-50k, a tech tolds me at one time BMW recomended that for a service interval, how true that is I'm not sure

the ibmwr.org list has had many discussions on that

I would agree, lube the input shaft every 50K or so OR if you experience resistence when downshifting to 2nd or 3rd gear. That's a sure sign that it's lube time. Fail to do this and your input shaft will unexpectedly fail. My bike exhibited resistance to downshifting for 10K miles before my input shaft went.

So far, my final drive has been fine over the 77K miles I've owned my bike.

Model Year: 1999

Model: R1100RT

Last 5 digits of SN: 65059

Mileage at time of failure: 28,500

Date of failure: 09/05/05

Description of failure: Final drive bearing failure.

Guys, I appreciate your comments and discussion, but please adhere to the original purpose of this thread. I'll be updating the stats this weekend. smile.gif

I have been following the various engine / clutch / transmission / drive shaft / rear drive failure threads and have become interested in what kind of correlation there may be within the manufacturing lineage.

My specific intent is to collect information that may become useful. THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BECOME A DISCUSSION THREAD. If you want to discuss this thread, please start another one.

As this thread fills out, I'll compile the info gathered for better analysis.

Please respond only if you have had a major powertrain failure related to the engine, clutch, transmission, drive shaft or rear drive with the following info:

Model Year:

Last 5 digits of SN:

Date of failure:

Description of failure:

Thanks for your participation. With roughly 7,500 members, we may be able to zero in on some batch issues regarding the various failures experienced here. smile.gif

Thanks.

2002 (9/91 build date)

R1150RT

July, 2005

Took apart to do spline inspection/lube. Found out I was too late. Input shaft and clutch plate splines were no more.

Weighed having tranny rebuilt, but believed the "misaligned casings" theory at the time so was reluctant to set up for a repeat failure. Therefore I installed a "real" 6-speed tranny (23 00 7 677 012) which could still be bought from Chicago BMW for "only" $1,595 at that time. Also replaced clutch plate and clutch slave cylinder which was leaking a little.

Ouch! Anyway I saved the $1,000 labor bill. tongue.gif

Steve Kolenda

Model Year: 2000

Model: R1100RT

Last 5 digits of SN: 69401

Mileage at time of failure: 81,000

Date of failure: 07/05

Description of failure: Large ball bearing in final drive failed.

Model Year: 2004

Last 5 digits of SN: 94362

Mileage at time of failure: 18229

Date of failure: 9-03-05

Description of failure: Transmission - Suspect auxilliary shaft bearing failed. Failed bearing broke up causing remaining bearings in transmission to fail. Metal in oil caused gear teeth to break, resulting in catastrophic failure.

BMW SERVICE PHOTOS

R1100RT

VIN: 63991

Mileage: 55,750

Oct. 10,2005

Not torn down yet, but big metal chunks in tranny oil, noisy in gear like a growling noise, quits when clutch is pulled in in neutral. Suspect at least input shaft bearing is toast.

• 4 weeks later...

Model year: 2002

Model: R1150RT

Last 5 digits of SN: 86430

Milage at failure: 35900

Date of failure: 04/11/05

Description of failure: Clutch to input shaft spline failure

• 11 months later...

Model year: 2002

Last 5 digits of SN: 87107

Milage at failure: 30,765

Date of failure: 10/14/06

Description of failure: Clutch to input shaft spline failure

• 4 months later...

Model Year:2002

Model R1150RT

Last 5 digits of SN:87309

Mileage at time of failure:35,000

Date of failure:4/06

Description of failure: Clutch slave cylinder needed to be replaced

(^ Rt input shaft rear bearing 86,000 miles

99 RT

Vin 65378

miles 58695

input shaft and clutch etc

2003 1150 RT is makeing all the same noises at 38k. When running after warm up and ride. Noise from clutch area. Pull in clutch lever and unit gets quite. This is about the same as 99. So its only a time thing. Or luck.

Transmission Failure:

====================

Model: R1100RT-P

Last 5 digits of SN: 69921

Production batch: M K11 ohne R1100RT USA 20001000

Prod. Code: 0418, batch ID: 48862

Prod. Month: 10/2000

Mileage at time of failure: 57,000 miles

Date of failure: 11/07

Transmission & clutch: Intermediate gear assembly, 1 fork, some gear goes damaged; BMW claimed it was a total loss.

steve.foote
Did all of this data ever get crunched?

The data comes in spurts, and I add them to the master list now and then. I'll post some updated stats in the coming week.

• 1 month later...
jimmyz1234

Last 5 digits of SN: 86263

Mileage at time of failure: 75000.

Date of failure: 5/1/07

Description of failure: Cruising at 65 mph, heard a pop, then a grinding noise. Lost all connection between engine and the real wheel, regardless of gear. Haven't torn it down yet but is almost certainly the transmission input shaft (BMW mechanic concurs). This is the same bike reported earlier when I replaced the shaft at 50000 miles because it was somewhat (maybe 25%) worn.

I would be very interested in the summary of this survey, although it doesn't tell us anything about the rate of failure because there's no data on bikes which have not failed.

steve.foote

Ok, the MPFS is now officially updated. Interesting trends are beginning to form. The discussion thread and findings can be found here. Please stick with the intent of the quote below and keep the discussion out of this thread. Thanks. smile.gif

I have been following the various engine / clutch / transmission / drive shaft / rear drive failure threads and have become interested in what kind of correlation there may be within the manufacturing lineage.

My specific intent is to collect information that may become useful. THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BECOME A DISCUSSION THREAD. If you want to discuss this thread, please start another one.

As this thread fills out, I'll compile the info gathered for better analysis.

Please respond only if you have had a major powertrain failure related to the engine, clutch, transmission, drive shaft or rear drive with the following info:

Model Year:

Last 5 digits of SN:

Date of failure:

Description of failure:

Thanks for your participation. With roughly 14,000 members, we may be able to zero in on some batch issues regarding the various failures experienced here. smile.gif

Model Year: 2003

Model (R1150RT, R1100GS, etc.): RT

Last 5 digits of SN: I keep forgetting to look it up

Mileage at time of failure: 28K

Date of failure: 10/2005

Description of failure: Transmission Input shaft seal leak which contaminated the clutch. Replaced seal and clutch under warranty. When the dealer got it apart they had mentioned the splines were a little dry.

I just want to say thanks for taking this effort on Steve. Regardless of whether this represents an ideal accurate sampling or not the information so far has been very interesting. The most notable thing to me is that the cluster around specific build dates would seem to suggest that the spline/final drive issues are more related to assembly rather than design issues.

R1150RT

05/2006

Crown Bearing in FD replaced... Clutch Slave rebuilt after leaking

1999 R1100RT

36000 miles - clutch lever (at transmission) snapped

43000 miles - Camshaft snapped (thank god no bent valves)

Model Year:2002

Model R1150RT

Last 5 digits of SN:86863

Mileage at time of failure:70,000

Date of failure:5/06

Description of failure: Gearbox boiled. Spline failure imminent.

Model year 1999

Model R1100RT

Last 5 digits of SN.20555

Mileage at time of failure. 79,000

Date of failure. Nov 2005

Description of failure. Gearbox would 'snatch' as if engine was misfiring violently. Would only occur intermitently, and only in 2nd gear. Bike was maintained regardless of cost via BMW main dealer. But when I removed gearbox, oil was totally emulsified. So this problem was due to very poor maintenance. Main dealers?

Model Year:1996

Model (R1150RT, R1100GS, etc.):R1100RT

Last 5 digits of SN:41324

Mileage at time of failure: slightly less than 24,000

Date of failure:Sept 2006

Description of failure: skipping in and out of 3rd gear when shifting either up or down.

Never bothered rebuilding the bad transmission, just bought a new one from BMW and had it installed.

Model Year: 2003

Last 5 Digits of VIN: 55020

Mileage: 63,142

Date of Failure: May 21, 2007

Description of Failure: Input Shaft Bearing. This is just an assumption based on some sound advice. Have dropped bike off with service dealer so will update once confirmed. Transmission making noise while in neutral but once clutch is pulled the noise stops. Leaking gear oil.

Sheepherder

Model Year:1997

Model r1100 rt

Last 5 digits of SN:62150

Mileage at time of failure:37614 miles

Date of failure: June 7 2006

Description of failure: plastic cam chain tensioners failed

required complete tear down

Expensive.

Archived