IGNORED

March in the Mountains of California?

Sidmariner

I am riding down to San Diego and back from Victoria BC in mid-March. This will be the third time I'll do the trip in seven months, but this time I am hoping to bring along a new riding buddy.

We'll zig-zag along the coast on the way down but I want to take my pal into the Sierras on the way back, like up through Yosemite and down to Lee Vining and then back and forth through the mountains as we make our way north (Hwy 49 & 70).

Two years ago I rode across Death Valley and arrived to find Yosemite was still closed in late April. Is this normal? How about the Feather River Canyon? Can I expect that to be clear in the last week of March?

Inquiring minds want to know. Any advice would be welcome.

The Pass over Tioga does not try to open until Memorial day. With the snow pack we seem to be developing it may be open later. Subject to global warming changes, of course.

Peter

The only state route open over the Passes south of Lake Tahoe is Rt. 88 until April or May and as notacop says Tioga until Memorial Day. There are only 2 passes south of Lee Vining/Tioga/Yosemite and that is Sherman Pass and just south of that is Walker Pass. Both are about 130-150 miles south of Lee Vining. Your best bet to ride the Sierra's in March would be on the west side of the mountains. Come south thru Lake Tahoe and take Rt. 88 west to Rt. 49 then south on Rt. 49 to Rt. 120 into Yosemite Valley, then Rt.41 to Fresno. Rt. 180 east to Kings Canyon/Sequoia Nat. Park and go thru the park to Three Rivers on Rt. 198. It is a beautiful ride and the park is open in the winter. Be careful on Rt. 49 there are a lot of LEO's and they run radar all the time.

Two years ago I rode across Death Valley and arrived to find Yosemite was still closed in late April. Is this normal?

I too headed for Yosemite early last May after visiting Death Valley, only to find it closed due to snow. I was able to enter Yosemite a few weeks later on my way to Torrey.

I have recently moved to California and I often hear on the radio about snow in the mountains. With my little experience... I'd say March is to early. Come back down in May and come to Torrey thumbsup.gif.

Just used the snow blower to clear another 1 foot of snow from my driveway in South Lake Tahoe. It's getting tough to find room to put all the snow. It looks like riding season at 6200 feet won't start until late April. Would someone explain this global warming thing? I'm not seeing (feeling) it.

+1 for March being too early this year. In drought years you might find passes other than 88 open. The way this year is shaping up (a wet one) it could be May or June before passes like Monitor (hwy 89), Ebbetts (hwy 4) and Sonora (hwy 108) are open. Even once they are, it usually takes a few more weeks before the sand and etc. are off them enough to allow for spirited riding.

Great plan to have your buddy ride the sierras, just the wrong time and wrong year.

As an alternate, I suggest you blast up past LA and then ride some of the coastal mountains near Ojai on 33 or 154 past Santa Barbara and on up the coast to Santa Maria, San Simeon, Big Sur and Carmel.

Good luck whatever you choose and ride safe.

CoarsegoldKid

I live in the foothills near Yosemite south entrance on the western side of Sierras. March is too early for crossing Tioga as has already been said. Sonora is too I think. But overall the area is not too early for riding the lower elevations. It's made for MC riding. Don't tell anyone. Swear.

I want to thank everyone for the great advice.

As they say, time spent in planning is seldom wasted. I've been having a great time marking up my free AAA maps, MS Streets and Trips and Google Earth.

I'll start all over and try to find other interesting ways of avoiding the I-5.

Cheers!

Archived