IGNORED

Way Too Wet Ride '04 with a few Pix

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

The Weather Channel, the local news, and even my knee was predicting the Mother of All Rainstorms for Southern California...probably not big news for those of you who live in places where there is weather, but for Southern Californians like me, this was big news-after all, the predictions were for 12 inches of rain in the local mountains. That's a lot of rain, especially for So Cal standards!

So, it seemed the most likely thing was to go for a ride. After all, how wet could ya get, right? My friend Mark U rode down from Fairfield with the intent to ride Southern AZ. "Wanna come along?" he asked, knowing full well that there would be no way I could refuse a long ride, even if half of it would be underwater...

So, Tuesday morning we struck out from Glendora. It was raining furiously. Fortunately, both of us were spendidly attired in Roadcrafters, rainsuits, and waterproof gloves. Even Shadow, the traveling schnauzer had on her "Patapoochie" riding gear...

To ride anywhere fun from my house usually requires you do the penance of an hours drone on the superslab. Unfortunately, the rain came down in sheets. Mark and I geared down and rode a steady 25 mph down I-10, weaving between the crashed and spun out vehicles that apparently never thought to slow down.

Labouriously we continued east into Palm Springs. Buckets of water were being dumped on us, but fortunately our R11RTs never skipped a beat, even when fording a jug high river to make our first gas stop!

While filling up, a CBS news van from the local CBS affiliate in Palm Springs pulled in for gas. We struck up a conversation which led to some TV footage and a sound byte for the 11 pm news. Hey, it's not everyday you see two guys riding in a monsoon-especially on matching BMWs and packing a schnauzer as well! The CBS guy asked the usual questions, shot some film, shook our hands, and bade us a good trip. I think in his heart, he wanted to be part of our little adventure!

100 miles later, the storm edge appeared and we popped into ferocious winds and intermittent downpour. Hey, at least we could see where we where going! Since our plan was to ride backroads into Gila Bend AZ our spirits were lightened. After all, the rain couldn't last forever, could it? grin.gif

Salome Rd and old AZ 80 were awesome two lane roads that had Eye Ten beat by a mile. We finally pulled into Gila Bend for coffee and to stretch our legs. Check out the roadside art:

13537278-M.jpg

Sure, it would have been fun to stay in Gila Bend, but the road beckoned us. We jumped onto AZ 85 and made our way through the Barry Goldwater Bombing Range. Now it was dark, and I took the lead with my PIAA 910s blazing a path. Still we kept our speeds down it WAS DARK and I kept getting intermittent KA band hits. A few minutes later my V1 got a full shot KA hit and I watched a hidden AZ HP officer execute a U-turn to nab a Ford F 150 that was running fast about 1000 yards in front of me. I loove my V1, and my "rabbits" too! thumbsup.gif

Being pretty tired by now, we made our way into Why AZ where Mark's parents had parked a humongous fifth wheeler. We welcomed hot food and I got a chance to catch up with Kurt and Lorraine since I hadn't seen them since our Alaska adventure four years earlier...

Wednesday morning we woke to an angry sky and whipping winds.

13537284-M.jpg

It was a bit breezy, but, hey, would you let 40 mph wind gusts stop you from riding So AZ? I think not!

Now we pushed back onto AZ 85, once again under threatening skies. We did want to visit Organ Pipe, an incredible desert park, so we continued to motor south. We stopped at the Visitor Center, where once again, it started to rain...

13537265-M.jpg

We checked out the exhibits, talked to the Rangers, and answered the obligatory "What are y'all, nuts?" questions. And, since we were only five miles to the border, I had to see it...

13537269-M.jpg

Now, we turned around, and were rewarded by an amazing ride back up AZ 85...The sun popped out occasionally, lending incredible richness to the red rock and green cactus. This is truly a place I want to come back and visit when the weather is better-spring break might be the ticket! The wildflowers will bloom, and the desert will be a riot of color!

But, for this ride, it was time for God to turn the spigot back on...we rode to AZ 86, intent on seeing Kitt Peak. Well, we never actually SAW it, mind you because the observatory is at 7k feet. We were wrapped in clouds, rain, and the very faintest freezing slush. What were we, nuts?!

13537272-M.jpg

I'd like to publicly thank Widder and Aerostitch for keeping us from freezing to death up there... confused.gif Not a minute too soon, we headed off the mountain, and back to the desert floor where it was positively tropical!

13537281-M.jpg

We had a bite to eat here:

13537264-M.jpg

And then we pressed on through Arrivaca (sp?) and finally down to I-19 and a warm room in Nogales, AZ. To me, Nogales is an interesting place. On one hand it seems a dirty, rough border town bustling with action, but on the other hand it is a place were the residents are proud of their city. There are beautiful things here, and one day I'll come back and explore both sides of the border more closely! I've been down there a couple of times now, and I've never met so many smiling people anywhere. You feel at home in Nogales, and that's a nice feeling.

Mark and I were pretty hungry so I took him to "Los Tacos." In Spanish this means "The Tacos." grin.gif Sorry. At any rate, this was the restaurant were I ate on my "In Search of the Perfect Taco SS 1000." I think that ride tale is buried here on the DB somewhere... After dinner, we retired back to the Best Western for a little conversation, then TV, and then much needed sleep!

Thursday dawned bright and sunny! Finally, I thought. After "desayuno gratis'" or complimentary breakfast, I bade farewell to Mark. He was continuing to tour So AZ, heading to Bisbee, Tombstone, and points east. I, OTOH, needed to get back to home, hearth and family.

I pointed the RT north and rode to Tucson via the Green Valley. Spectacular stretch of highway, fast with awesome panoramas.

Finding myself in Tucson, I headed west mixing with the fast traffic Arizona is known for! Setting my wrist at 85 I cruised effortlessly, enjoying the pleasant hum of the RT's engine! Here is Pichaco Peak, a very prominent landmark outside of Tucson:

13537280-M.jpg

I loved the Saguaros:

13537282-M.jpg

All too soon, the ride was over. The last 400 miles were dry, thank heavens, and the traffic did not get really bad until leaving Palm Springs for the suburbs of Los Angeles. (Hard to believe a suburb can be 100 miles from a city, isn't it)

It was a great ride, full of friends, adventure, and even some good food. It was a ride that made one feel alive and vibrant; the rain, the wind, the scenery all came together to imprint this experience indelibly on my brain! I've never ridden in such harsh conditions for more than a few hours. I learned a lot about rain riding, motorist behavior, apparel and what it takes to be successful in these conditions. It was great!

Ride safely,

Steve

ericfoerster

Another great ride tale Steve and great pics despite the bad weather.

I love that area and it always seems to rain on me there as well grin.gif

aa1.jpg

Nice report Steve, AZ home sweet home. My wifes family are from Ajo, work at the mine and one of her uncals was the Postmaster out at the Why. So I have rode the rode from Gila Bend to Ajo many times, on my old KW 750 twin.

Jim VonBaden

Great pictures Steve!

I grew up in Tucson, and had a job as a short order cook at the base of Picacho Peak! There used to be a truck stop called Nickerson Farms there!

Thanks for the memories!

Jim cool.gif

What a ride tale, Steve! It's wonderful to see scenery so different from what can be seen here. The long stretches, The mountains, the Saguaros.... Excellent write-up. thumbsup.gif

One familiar aspect, though: rain and wind. frown.gif

I don't know, Steve. There's something about other sickos that just keeps my perspective a little left of center as well. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Great trip. Wish I coulda joined you. I've had a few really great serious rain rides myself and there's something about the "difference" that just brings a new challenge and new satisfaction together.

Keep it up!

Dennis Andress

Nice ride Steve. Try Organ Pipe again in April when the desert blooms. I was in Tucson Tuesday night coming back from Texas. At first my old friend EEK was talking about taking Wednesday off and riding out to Ajo with me but the rain dampened his enthusiasim. So, I came across the 8 and cut across through Julian. Sorry I missed you. (I wonder if GPS could incorporate something like IFF [identifaction, Friend or Foe] so people we know would show up on the screen?)

AdventurePoser

I liked Ajo, especially the colonial style shopping center in the middle of town. Plus, there is a fair amount (for Ajo) of building going on in the area.

Probably a good place to buy a little land for retirement if you like the desert!

Steve

Steve!

Wow - what a ride! We were out of town all weekend and just got back. Heard it poured here... and it's starting again as I type this. Funny thing - one of my closest friends here is the news director at CBS-2 (the station that covered you) - and I'll ask her if I can score a tape of the segment they did on you! If I manage to score it, I'll send it on.

Wish I would have been in town to catch the news. Or catch you for a pit stop / meal break in Palm Springs. frown.gif

Anyways - glad you guys made it safe - and I admire your willingness to 'deal with the 10' in that kind of weather. We were white knuckling it in a car - on a bike I can't imagine.

AdventurePoser

Tony, I'd love to have a copy of the tape...the news guy was very friendly and great to talk to!

And, you are right...the first part of the ride was pretty insane-especially from San Bernardino to the "Flying J." That last intersection provided the deepest water I've ever ridden through! clap.gif

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Steve,

Not often am I so impressed by someone who is all wet.

Great story, excellent tale and pics, as usual. clap.gif

AdventurePoser

Tim,

I know that in many places in the US riding in the rain is truly no biggie...however, I'm pretty much a southern California boy, and around here rain is a rarity. Especially sustained, heavy rain...(In fact, it is pouring, again, outside as I write this!)

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I had fun, because I did have great riding gear that kept me dry and warm!

Cheers,

Steve

Steve,

Nice ride report. The 2 dirt loop trails out of Organpipe are great rides when dry and in the spring when wildflowers are in bloom. The desert in the rain is great for the smell of the sage and the cool temps too. Good on ya for giving it a shot, and I wish I was there with you.

Dave

AdventurePoser

The desert in the rain is great for the smell of the sage and the cool temps too.

Dave

The smell of the desert was incredible, and you are right it is the sage....I wish I had time off in the spring-this year it will be a riot of color!

Cheers,

Steve

Dennis Andress

I think your TV footage was shown Steve. My sister told me she seen a Dallas news spot about the rains in California with a guy on a motorcycle talking about riding through knee deep water. She said his bike looked like mine (confused.gifconfused.gif I guess it had saddlebags and a fairing too.)

AdventurePoser

I'm sure that TV footage could have gone just about anywhere. We had to ride through pretty deep water just to get gas at the spot where the newsvan saw us.

Interesting, but not even "fifteen minutes of fame." clap.gif

Steve in So Cal

Archived