IGNORED

Elliptical trainer question.

steve.foote

A couple of weeks ago, I bought an elliptical trainer from Sam's Club (Reebok RL 10.0). It looked like a fairly well constructed machine and worked well, but immediately began to creak, clank and groan. No matter how much lube went in, it started up again in another place the next time I used it. Needless to say, the noise was driving me crazy (I like to watch TV while I use it) and I ended up taking it back for a refund.

I really like the way elliptical trainers exercise, so I'm going to get another one. I'm seriously looking at two models which keep showing up in reviews on various websites, and I'm almost certain I'm going to get one or the other of the following:

Smooth Fitness - Smooth CE 3.2 Elliptical

Sole Fitness - E95 Elliptical

I would be interested to hear about anyone's experience with either of these units.

Thanks in advance. smile.gif

A couple of weeks ago, I bought an elliptical trainer from Sam's Club (Reebok RL 10.0). It looked like a fairly well constructed machine and worked well, but immediately began to creak, clank and groan. No matter how much lube went in, it started up again in another place the next time I used it. Needless to say, the noise was driving me crazy (I like to watch TV while I use it) and I ended up taking it back for a refund.

I really like the way elliptical trainers exercise, so I'm going to get another one. I'm seriously looking at two models which keep showing up in reviews on various websites, and I'm almost certain I'm going to get one or the other of the following:

Smooth Fitness - Smooth CE 3.2 Elliptical

Sole Fitness - E95 Elliptical

I would be interested to hear about anyone's experience with either of these units.

Thanks in advance. smile.gif

Are you sure the "creaking, clanking, and groaning" were coming from the machine? lurker.gif

Sorry, but you left yourself open for that one. grin.gif

Check the local health clubs as the folks who work there usually have good experience with the brands which work best. Many times one can find a model which is a "de-featured" version of what the clubs use. These will be solid, durable, and quite - but expect to pay a lot. Also consider buying from an exercise equipment dealer who's been around for a long time AND who services the units. Unfortunately I've had similar experiences to what you found with the Rebok unit from Sam's - sometimes it's "cheap" instead of "inexpensive".

Join a Gym, they will have more equipment for you to use as you may get bored with just one, it is less expensive and if you don't use it and it gathers dust, you will never notice! thumbsup.gif

Are you sure the "creaking, clanking, and groaning" were coming from the machine? lurker.gif

Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. wink.gif

Lone_RT_rider

Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. wink.gif

I have the Nordic track and have for at least seven years (It's working, can you tell? lmao.gif ). The creaks and groans in mine tend to come from the shock like sliders that are hooked to the rotation wheel. The key to reducing the noises in mine is proper lubrication of the sliders. Get this, and no this isn't a joke but the best lubricant for the sliders that I have found is chain wax!

YMMV.

Shawn

... Get this, and no this isn't a joke but the best lubricant for the sliders that I have found is chain wax!

YMMV.

Shawn

I thought for sure you were going to say KY. blush.gif

I really appreciate the feedback guys! I ended up ordering a Smooth CE 7.4 from Smooth Fitness. After testing a bunch of machines at various stores and reading more reviews than I care to admit to, it was the judicious use of ball bearings in the Smooth which pushed me over. Having not actually tested one, and though nobody here reported having any experience with one, I hope the decision turns out well. eek.gif

Oh, and I'll be sure to pick up a can of chain wax. lmao.gif

I bought one from a sports store, Dick's. It is a Horizon Fitness machine. Very nice compared to others I saw. Listed for around $1,200 and they sold it for around 1/2 that. They have 2 or 3 models with differing levels gadgets. Mine has heart monitor and distance and speed. It is quiet and feels well made as you use it.

Archived