IGNORED

Seattle to Minneapolis.....in April

michaelpat

Any suggestions, resources or experiences that might help me plan the trip? Bike's in Seattle and I want to enjoy the trip back, rather than ship. I have not made the trip in April and do not have a good sense of the weather between there and here. I can be somewhat flexible on time, but would prefer not to swing through AZ. I have been assured by many drivers (of cars and trucks) that the super slabs and most other routes will be clear, except when a storm blows through. Even then, cleared quickly thereafter.

Thanks

Mike

Minneapolis, MN

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

The PNW will still be wet in April. Possibility of snow in the mountains. Pay attention to the weather forecasts and you can somewhat alter your route accordingly. Any chance you can push back into May?

Michael

It looks like if you were to take the freeway it is 1650 miles to Minneapolis but what fun is that? None right? I would jump on Rt. 2 just north of Seattle and take it to Sandpoint, Id. Then jump on Rt. 200 to Rt.28 and Rt. 93 to Kalispell and then Rt. 2 again. Go thru Glacier Nat. Park. Get on Rt. 89 and take that to Browning, Mt. and get back on Rt. 2 again. Rt. 2 will take you across Montana to Williston, N.D. At that point you go south to I-90 and continue on east. Just a thought if you have the time. If you can get to Glacier Nat. Park. It is absolutely fabulous and worth your time to do it.

We are having a record year of snow, as of February 2 we are at 212% of normal. I would recommend staying on the motorway this time of year and watch the pass reports. You will need to dress warm or better yet have heated gear on top of some good Goretex.

Good advice, all. Thanks for the input. Can't (won't?) push it into May. Want to begin riding back here ASAP. Cold is unavoidable and will plan accordingly.

2 though the northern US is what I would prefer, but I will have to be even more careful with such a route in April. Also will have to plan exit strategies if weather doesn't cooperate. 2 is pretty isolated, last time I looked. But that's the adventure, right?

I am coming back to Seattle to visit family in 3 weeks and should gain some further perspective, then.

Mike

One option to the passes, which as mentioned above are getting record snowpack (Stevens and Snoqualmie were both closed last week due to avalances), would be to reroute south and come along the Gorge. Would be windy but would avoid the risk of pass crossing

Dave_Armstrong

I think your trip is do-able, with some cautions. I would watch temps in AM and especially chance of frost in areas like Montana and Idaho. Also, the amount of sand used in the mountains will still be collected between the lanes of the roadway. Especially in corners where frost might be in evidence overnight. Watch the weather and bundle up, should be a good ride. Be safe. Dave

Can't offer any suggestions to the trip but being that you live in my backyard (Waconia) we should get together. I'd love to see your new bike. thumbsup.gif I've got a trip planned for Port Washington, WI and Chicago, IL in April so I hope the weather is decent. Also taking a trip to the Brick Yard to see Moto GP.

Howdy neighbor!! cool.gif

Thanks to Dave and JM. Both are tips that I will keep in mind. Sounds like the best approach may be to let the sun get into the sky for a while before setting out and paying attention in the mountain shadows. I have also thought about shooting south to eastern Oregon and southern Idaho to come through Wyoming and then up to South Dakota. I can't remember the precipitation patterns and it probably has to be determined on the fly, anyway.

Any good ideas for weather contacts in the area?

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Archived