IGNORED

Best Undiscovered Price Performing Cigar?

Limecreek

Prices of my favorite cigars are getting a little out of hand. The Ashtons use to be a wonderful smoke and a great price performer. Even the Macanudo's have gone up by 20%.

I'm looking for the little known, great smokes that are reasonably priced. Are you willing to give up a few of your secret favorites? I promise not to drive up the price or tell anyone else of your discovery. thumbsup.gif

So what is in your humidor?

Just noticed this is in the wrong category. Mod's please move as needed. Thx.

Greg

I'm also a fan of Ashtons... Cabinet, Heritage, VSG, but they aren't inexpensive. My solution is to smoke less and enjoy it more. If I'm going to take the health risk, it better be worth it. I can get Davidoff 2nds that are pretty good, but inconsistent as one might expect.

Goog Luck.

John

As far as my strategy I've taken to smoking more expensive cigars less frequently. I've grow quite fond of the the Cohiba's.

But I may have to rethink my plan if something good pops up here. smirk.gif

I'm better versed in single malt than cigars, but I've heard good things about Ashton and Onyx.

As for single malt - I prefer these two from the isle of Islay... Lagavulin and Laphroig.

As far as my strategy I've taken to smoking more expensive cigars less frequently. I've grow quite fond of the the Cohiba's.

But I may have to rethink my plan if something good pops up here. smirk.gif

If you like the Cohiba's, try Don Thomas cameroon, great cigar for a lot less.

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cigars

Also the Toroao 1916 Comeroon are really good!

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cigars

Gregory, Ever since I've been on this DB. Cigars have seemed to be Bike Related Things, Along with Single Malt, Guns , Oils

Well, I can't argue with that!

Don Thomas cameroon, great cigar for a lot less.

I've tried Don Thomas and was underwhelmed if I recall, however it is worth a second look. The flavor was pretty good, but it burned eradically and I had to keep lighting it.

My favorite cigar is the Cohiba Black Supremo. It is not an inexpensive cigar. If I adopt your strategy I can go buy a box/buddle of those today and enjoy the anticipation.

This may be the best suggestion so far. thumbsup.gif

I've bought a few of the different samplers from Thompson cigar. I don't smoke them often, but I do keep a few sealed in the tube under my sargent seat in event that I get inspired while riding.

I also have a cutter, lighter, and a corkscrew under the seat for camping trips. The rest can wait for beer to chill, I'm pulling a bottle out of the saddle bag and enjoying wine and a smoke!

La Gloria Cubana

La Flor Dominica

Punch

Buy them by the box. I usually order three or four box's and never pay close to retail. Works out to 4-5 per stick.

Ya know I used to get a block of hand made no name Dominican cigars for $12.50. 25 in a block. Then the wave followers caused the price to shot to $89.00. I gave up the Brandy and cigar session after work due to costs.

I found Robusto Rejects...made from the floor sweepings of better cigars,to be a satisfactory fill in. Cheap, plentyful . Perfect while adjusting valves or mowing the lawn.

Now they are a thing of the past. When your cigarette smoking brother is diagnosed with lung problems, one may want to ponder the wisdom of injesting poison for pleasure.... eek.gif

When your cigarette smoking brother is diagnosed with lung problems, one may want to ponder the wisdom of injesting poison for pleasure.... eek.gif

That totally sucks! That is also one of the reasons that I have limited myself to the few cigars I have a year. Celebrate life!

Absolutely!! The daughter used to give me a handful of expensive cigars for Bday/Xmas and I'd really enjoy them. Some more than others. On the rare occasion I 've had real cubans...Superb!

I don't know how guns and oil are combined with cigars and single malts? Maybe somebody confused malt liquor and tiparillos. Those will make you crazy!

I've bought a few of the different samplers from Thompson cigar. I don't smoke them often, but I do keep a few sealed in the tube under my sargent seat in event that I get inspired while riding.

I also have a cutter, lighter, and a corkscrew under the seat for camping trips. The rest can wait for beer to chill, I'm pulling a bottle out of the saddle bag and enjoying w h ine and a smoke!

Fixed for you. tongue.gif

Fuentes 8-5-8 always work in a pinch.

How about JR's own cigars ?

I use to buy Jr's own by the boxcar load. Loved them. Then the quality went to hell. Wouldn't touch one of their alternatives now for love or money... well, perhaps for money.

grin.gif

I cut back on cigar smoking for awhile, but have gotten back to it now. I'm trying a variety of cigars in the $3.00 to $8.00 range. I've smoked some less expensive cigars, but found that after finishing them, I wasn't that crazy about them. I don't plan on smoking ofter, but when I do, I want something that I enjoyed all the way to the end. So I'm on a never-ending search. Of course, it also means I have to have some good Port, Bourbon, or Scotch to occasionally cleanse my palate, as the flavor of quality cigars does change as they are smoked. Such a chore, but sometimes you just have to struggle through.

Ashton have always been good (I think I turned you on to them, Greg), and I still smoke the Magnums (natural and maduro) occasionally. But as you said, their price has gone up. Their Sun Grown and Cabinet series are getting very pricey.

Rocky Patel makes some very good reasonably priced sticks. I think you'd like some of those. Their Vintage 1990 series is very good, but they may be getting up to around $8 or $9 dollars now.

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Signature is a great smoke for about $7.50. I smoked my first one at DVD, smoked it all the way to my fingertips, and hated to let it go.

But for an inexpensive cigar, I just tried Gispert this week. Smoked the natural and found it to be very smooth and consistent to the end, with a very nice draw. I would actually put it in the same category as the Ashton Magnum, but for a lot less money. The Gispert Maduro Robusto was on the Cigar Aficianado Best 25 list in 2005, and I have one of those to try, too. It's medium to full bodied, while I'd say the natural was more mild to medium bodied (closer to medium). The best part is that you can pick up Gispert for about $3.50. Well worth a try.

I'll let you know some others as I try them. My humidor has been filling up lately, and it's time to start emptying it. I think we need to have a very long chat about this when I see you at Torrey this spring. This may take some time (and beverages). thumbsup.gif

I had started to collect the labels from the cigars the kids gave me and the better ones I got and have a humidor full of them. Unfortunately I didn't write down an evaluation of them at the time. Now they are just interesting reminders of what I had but couldn't justify a rebuy based on the image.

A buddy gave me a presentation box of Torpedo shaped cigars for doing a repair on his bike. Boy, they were good but strong.

All this talk of cigars almost makes me want to raid the local tobaccorie!

UUMMM nicotine..... dopeslap.gif

But for an inexpensive cigar, I just tried Gispert this week. Smoked the natural and found it to be very smooth and consistent to the end, with a very nice draw. I would actually put it in the same category as the Ashton Magnum, but for a lot less money. The Gispert Maduro Robusto was on the Cigar Aficianado Best 25 list in 2005, and I have one of those to try, too. It's medium to full bodied, while I'd say the natural was more mild to medium bodied (closer to medium).

Tried the Gispert Maduro Robusto and was greatly disappointed. Very tough draw, even down to the end. I smoked this cigar longer than I should have, hoping that it would draw easier and taste better, but at the end, it was still hard to smoke and became harsh. Based on this one try, I would have to recommend against this cigar. However, since I liked the natural I will try one of those again. I was really hoping to like the Maduro. Too bad. frown.gif

I am going to post something self-serving here but I sell cigars on-line. The house brand (Calle Ocho) is hand made from Cuban seed tobacco by Cubans who fled Cuba long ago. 4 generations of cigar makers make those. FWIW, the best Cuban cigars are made in Tampa and Miami by the many cigar makers who fled their country. We also have other brand cigars not made by us. www.miamistogies.com

Drew Estates "Liga Privata" #9. About $14 single, drops down to about $10 if you buy the box. Medium bodied, draws like a straw, consistant burn, Sun Grown Honduran filler and Binder. Loveley smoke. Very limited and hard to find.

Archived