IGNORED

MicroSoft offers $45 Billion for Yahoo

Bud

Flickr is part of Yahoo and I really enjoy Flickr. Go Microsoft!

I don't know why you think that's good for Flickr. It's not clear Microsoft's the least bit interested in Flickr. My take is that Jon Gruber (Mac fanboy or not) is right on here.

Yawn.

In my mind, Yahoo is kinda like AOL -- lost its luster, had a chance to dominate, didn't seize it. So I kinda see this like Daimler buying Chrysler. Seems like a step backwards for MS (of which I'm not much of a fan, to put it very mildly).

In my mind, Yahoo is kinda like AOL -- lost its luster, had a chance to dominate, didn't seize it. So I kinda see this like Daimler buying Chrysler. Seems like a step backwards for MS (of which I'm not much of a fan, to put it very mildly).

It is sort of an odd purchase. Microsoft already has web-based email. They already have search. They already have an ad network. They already have file sharing and photo sharing and social networking and toolbars. As such, they're really only buying users, but they're buying by way of a company that is losing them.

It does smack of AOL, a lot more than I thought it did when I first read your comment.

Yahoo had considered buying Google when Google was small. Oh well.

Yahoo always knew that their main competitive threat would come not from big players like Microsoft, but from a company focused on a narrow vertical market. Despite being a search leader at one point, they grew large, spread their focus across many products and saw Google eating their lunch when it was already too late.

I don't see how joining with MS, whose core strength is the desktop, will add value to their business. And I think it's misguided of MS to think that adding Yahoo will make it more competitive. There's a lot of overlap in products and little in terms of technology and culture. Still, I expect the deal to go through because YHOO shareholders aren't likely to see anything better in the next couple years.

As for Google, they will end up in this same position if they continue to grow and dabble in various markets without spinning off companies. No luxury liner can turn on a dime.

“It’s like tying the Titanic to the iceberg. It’d keep you from sinking just long enough to freeze to death.”
Nice. From that perspective, I like it. Anything that helps diminish Microsoft's relevance in the world is a good thing, so I'm a fan of the move.
Who needs Yahoo..... they should've bought Google, now THAT would be news wink.gif
Or they shoulda put the money toward developing a "real" OS. Now THAT would've been a good investment! At work we upgrade all new PC's from Vista to XP - yup just like that Apple commercial! dopeslap.gif

Archived