IGNORED

Devil's Backbone - Up or Down

onmyrt

I'm making plans to ride 'The Devil's Backbone' over in Southeast Arizona sometime in May,

starting and ending in Socorro.

From those that know the route, is there a directional preference,

North to South or South to North?

Any lodging recommendations in Socorro?

TIA

Hi, I rode Devils Backbone going down last May. Had a Blast, We also stayed in Socoro.

Their aren't very many places to stay in Socoro, but We found a great place to eat ooo.gif. I beleive it was called Socoro Springs Pizza, right next to Burger King. Excellent brick oven pizza, highly recomend. thumbsup.gif

We stayed at the motel across the street, about two blocks up from the pizza joint.

Hope this helps.

If you're talking about Hwy 191 (old 666) from Clifton to Alpine, I'd recommend heading north out of Clifton. I alwas like uphill switchbacks better. Once you're on the top, there are many miles of sweepers where either direction is fine. Beware this time of year, you'll find snow and cold!!

El Sombrero, Owl Bar in San Antonio (13 miles south of Scorro) and A+ on Socorro Springs Pizza. They brew their own beer and it's pretty damn good.

US 191 between Alpine and Clifton/Morenci is know as The Devil's Highway (The Devil's backbone is between Torrey and Escalante, Utah, and is a whole different experience, and one you should take if ever possible; it's one of our favorites). Anyway, my preference is to go north on 191 to Alpine, then south on US 180 on the New Mexico side to Mule Springs, then across Rt. 78 back to Clifton (the AZ section is a most worthy ride). If you're using Socorro as a base, just find your way to US 180 and head on south. It's a great time.

When you're heading across US 60, take a little time (if you can) to stop by the Very Large Array. You can't miss it. If you make it to Pie Town, the Pie Town Cafe on the south side of US 60 has excellent pies (you can't miss that, either).

US 191 between Alpine and Clifton/Morenci is know as The Devil's Highway (The Devil's backbone is between Torrey and Escalante, Utah, and is a whole different experience, and one you should take if ever possible; it's one of our favorites). Anyway, my preference is to go north on 191 to Alpine, then south on US 180 on the New Mexico side to Mule Springs, then across Rt. 78 back to Clifton (the AZ section is a most worthy ride). If you're using Socorro as a base, just find your way to US 180 and head on south. It's a great time.

When you're heading across US 60, take a little time (if you can) to stop by the Very Large Array. You can't miss it. If you make it to Pie Town, the Pie Town Cafe on the south side of US 60 has excellent pies (you can't miss that, either).

156559800-M.jpg

Like my man Howard says it is a worthy ride.

Hi Michael,

We are interested in joining you on the Devil's Backbone in May.

Please keep us in the loop.

We are located right next door in Los Angeles

Bob & Dianne Danks

bobanddianne1@verizon.net

2007 R1200RT > Dream Machine

1994 R1100RS > Rocket Ship 142,000 miles... so far

1973 R75/5 > Many Pleasant Miles (sold)

1956 R69 > w/Side Car (sold)

1950 R51/2 > Our First BMW (sold)

Triumph Speed Twin > Tinkerer's Joy (sold)

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW--What a Ride!"

"To steal ideas from one person is called plagiarism,

to steal from many is called research."

In theory, theory and practice are the same,

In practice, they are not.

And the undeniable, "What goes around, comes around."

Hello,

I like to take 180

up the west side of New Mexico then go south on 191 ( after dinner at Molly Butler's in greer).

Many of the riders say they can be more aggressive with their ridding South to North !

Archived