IGNORED

Easy Clutch

DiggerDave

Hi Digger Dave,

Your wife has a really nice model bike and I'm sure it was chosen with care and for a lot of good reasons. But perhaps the pain in her fingers wasn't a problem at the time of purchase and now the situation is different. SO at the risk of passing a note without the teacher seeing maybe you could have a look at a sport bike with a selectable tranny over here... http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/10/10/aprilia-850-mana-introduced/

It's a kinda out-of-the-box idea but maybe it's right for her.

wave.gif

Back in the dark days of R100's and such there was a guy making an Soft Clutch. A device that attached to the end of the clutch cable that halved the effort of action. Something like a small block and tackle. Yours probably has a hydraulic action? If it's like some Japanese bikes the a cable pulls on a lever you could make a leveraging pivot to do the same as the old Soft Clutch.

Happy inventing... wave.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. I've seen it on Vech's website for /2's,

Bench Mark Works

they may make them for the newer bikes, as well. The folks at Bench Mark Works are very nice. If you give them a call they would surely sell you what you need or give you contact info for the supplier.

• 1 month later...
Hi Digger Dave,

Your wife has a really nice model bike and I'm sure it was chosen with care and for a lot of good reasons. But perhaps the pain in her fingers wasn't a problem at the time of purchase and now the situation is different. SO at the risk of passing a note without the teacher seeing maybe you could have a look at a sport bike with a selectable tranny over here... http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/10/10/aprilia-850-mana-introduced/

It's a kinda out-of-the-box idea but maybe it's right for her.

wave.gif

Ok..so I'm still old fashioned and like the idea of my clutch and actually shifting gears...But this is pretty damn cool! thumbsup.gif

John Bentall

Try her on a new F650GS to check that it is not just the sporty position of the bars resulting in an odd grip angle (I suspect not, however).

Then try a hydraulic clutch BMW model, which in my view has a light action compared to many, and see if that is any better. Does the pain go away? Could a hydraulic clutch conversion make a difference?

I have an elderly friend who has no regrets whatsoever about going "automatic" with a Suzuki Burgman after a 1150R. The Aprila got an excellent review in a (German-language) magazine recently.

Archived