IGNORED

Utahns: ltljohn will be in SLC

Twisties

Dinner with ltljohn at the Cancun Cafe, 1891 E. Ft. Union Blvd (in the strip mall with the state liquor/wine store) Tuesday February 5th at 6:30 PM.

Who's IN?

Jan

Hi guys... Suz and I will put it on the calendar, but its a 50/50 plan. We have a house full of Florida people arriving to make trails in the snow.

Depending on their schedule we might be able to break away.

OBTW the best beer in town is either at FUGU's house, or Mine.... We have already heard about Squatters and Bohemian, but do not rule out Desert Edge Cafe and brew pub.

OBTW the best beer in town is either at FUGU's house, or Mine....

Truer words have never been spoken although I might be a little biased. You win my "best brewpub patio" award. I also forgot Desert Edge, and I do like their beer.

I still need to have you and Suz up to our place when your dance card frees up a little. If we give it a couple weeks, my barleywine should be ready- I have high hopes for it.

Hopz and Suz are IN... as fate would have it, our house guests arrive later in the day (actually night) thus we can do dinner with you all at the Cancun...

Looking forward to it, and hope the weather cooperates.

Fugu, if your barleywine is as "spirited" as your IPA, I think we may need to reserve a room nearby...

my barleywine should be ready- I have high hopes for it.

Hey ltljohn, ship me one of Fugu's barleywines if they're ready? Sounds mighty yummy!

It's a small place. We'll figure it out. I'm the one drinking Mike's (Fugu's) barely wine (I wish). wink.gif

There are some pics of Bullett (Sharon) and me in this thread:

Some Monday's Don't S___!

We'll probably be in a white '02 Maxima.

Don't be shy, most of us have only met a few times ourselves, and none of us, that I know of, have met ltljohn.

Fugu, if your barleywine is as "spirited" as your IPA, I think we may need to reserve a room nearby...

Yes, I kinda suck at subtlety grin.gif. It's going to be a whopper. 20+lbs of grain for~ 5 gallons. I pitched a half gallon starter of White Labs ultra high gravity yeast.

By the way, I took a page from your book - I mashed and sparged that monster batch of grain again after I boiled the barleywine and made what should be a nice little beer out of the leftovers -I figured if it fails, the incremental cost was practically nil anyhow and I didn't want to waste what was left. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have to apologize to you guys here - I apparently gave you the impression this barleywine might be ready for ltljohn's arrival but it won't be - with luck it will just be going into bottles around that time and then it will need a couple weeks in them. I was talking a couple weeks farther down the road.

Of course I do have some other homebrew that is in portable 2L containers ready to go that I'd love to share... I've heard conflicting reports- is it legal to brown bag in UT? Anybody have any idea if the restaurant would care? I've never been there. I think it would be legal on a federal level since I'm not selling.

Yes, I kinda suck at subtlety grin.gif. It's going to be a whopper. 20+lbs of grain for~ 5 gallons. I pitched a half gallon starter of White Labs ultra high gravity yeast.

By the way, I took a page from your book - I mashed and sparged that monster batch of grain again after I boiled the barleywine and made what should be a nice little beer out of the leftovers -I figured if it fails, the incremental cost was practically nil anyhow and I didn't want to waste what was left. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have to apologize to you guys here - I apparently gave you the impression this barleywine might be ready for ltljohn's arrival but it won't be - with luck it will just be going into bottles around that time and then it will need a couple weeks in them. I was talking a couple weeks farther down the road.

Of course I do have some other homebrew that is in portable 2L containers ready to go that I'd love to share... I've heard conflicting reports- is it legal to brown bag in UT? Anybody have any idea if the restaurant would care? I've never been there. I think it would be legal on a federal level since I'm not selling.

As luck would have it, I will be back in SLC at least two more times this year dates are TBA.

As I said before- we will be there if the weather cooperates.

We had a little dusting this morning...

2230499829_0bea8f2570_m.jpg

Thats my front walk... you ought to see the driveway!

As luck would have it, I will be back in SLC at least two more times this year dates are TBA.

You might want to reserve judgment on how lucky you are until you meet us.

Holy mackarel Hopz! I had some drifts this morning, but that's ridiculous!

You might want to reserve judgment on how lucky you are until you meet us.

Holy mackarel Hopz! I had some drifts this morning, but that's ridiculous!

You ride Motorcycles and brew your own beer, how bad could it be?

From the Utah State Liquor Control Board website

http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Liquor_Laws/liquor_laws_affecting_visitors.html#brown_bagging

"Brown Bagging"

"Brown Bagging" is a term-of-art that refers to the practice of bringing alcoholic beverages into an establishment that is open to the public for consumption on the premises. This practice is generally prohibited, however there are three exceptions. 1) A person may bring bottled wines onto the premises of a full service, or limited service restaurant or private club liquor licensee (at the discretion of the licensee) and consume the wine. 2) Alcoholic beverages may be brought onto and consumed in limousines and charter busses under certain restrictions. 3) A person may bring onto any premises, have, and consume any alcoholic beverage at a privately-hosted event (private party) that is not open to the general public (see

http://www.le.state.ut.us/%7Ecode/TITLE32A/TITLE32A.htm

From the Utah State Liquor Control Board website

http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Liquor_Laws/liquor_laws_affecting_visitors.html#brown_bagging

"Brown Bagging"

"Brown Bagging" is a term-of-art that refers to the practice of bringing alcoholic beverages into an establishment that is open to the public for consumption on the premises. This practice is generally prohibited, however there are three exceptions. 1) A person may bring bottled wines onto the premises of a full service, or limited service restaurant or private club liquor licensee (at the discretion of the licensee) and consume the wine. 2) Alcoholic beverages may be brought onto and consumed in limousines and charter busses under certain restrictions. 3) A person may bring onto any premises, have, and consume any alcoholic beverage at a privately-hosted event (private party) that is not open to the general public (see

http://www.le.state.ut.us/%7Ecode/TITLE32A/TITLE32A.htm

However, there is more. I won't go find the code, take my word for this. The above applies to items which are legally obtained in Utah and bear the state stamp. Restaurants will not allow wines bootlegged into the state in their establishments, they can lose their license. You can only bring wine, not beer or liquor.

Homebrewing itself is of questionable legality here. The state statute is fairly explicit that "no person" may brew without a license, however, when you read the definition of "person" in the statute it is to be taken in context and includes entities such as businesses. The no person may be brew clause is clearly and solely in a commercial context.

Never the less, the ABC takes the position that homebrewing is illegal. However there are a number of brew supply shops operating with impunity, and they take the position that it is legal. There has been only one case and it went to trial, but the charge was dropped in a plea agreement (there were other charges) before the judge ruled. So the fact is we just don't know. In any event the state does not seem interested in enforcing their position.

My position is that the State was aware of the federal exemption allowing 200 gallons per household per year when it wrote the statute, and they failed to specifically address it. I think that lends strong weight to the argument that the legislature did not intend the clause to apply to individuals. Too, so far the tenth circuit has been pretty forceful in telling the State where to go in alcohol cases. On the other hand, I don't care to spend my personal fortune defending myself against criminal and tax evasion charges even though I might well eventually win, so I don't take homebrew to the park.

See ya'll Tuesday!

Jan

Great, now I'm a criminal...

More info here:

http://www.beertown.org/statutes/utah.htm

http://www.realbeer.com/news/articles/news-002675.php

Being aware of the federal law legalizing brewing under 200 gallons I never checked on UT. That cracks me up.

You'll take my hydrometer and my pint glass from my cold dead hands!

the "law":

32A-8-101 Commission's power to grant licenses -- Limitations.

(3) A person may not manufacture any alcoholic beverage unless an alcoholic beverage manufacturing license has been issued by the commission. A separate license is required for each place of manufacture, storage, and sale of alcoholic beverages. Violation of this subsection is a class B misdemeanor.

I always take the position that my hobby is so much more fun when it not only produces great beer but is a felony as well.

lmao.gif

after all, what good is reward without risk? clap.gif

Restaurants will not allow wines bootlegged into the state in their establishments, they can lose their license. You can only bring wine, not beer or liquor.

We tried to buy beer and wine for our beemer club's Christmas party at HAFB to reduce the cost. Several of us have access to the "candy store" at the base. However, the restaurant wouldn't allow us because alcoholic beverages at HAFB don't have Utah tax stamps. Thus, we had to buy from the state owned liquor store. You gotta love it here....

What a place, I asked a few locals where to eat and now it seems that I will be having dinner with 6 friends I have never met!!
Well, if I was gonna be in town, it'd be 7... frown.gif

What a place, I asked a few locals where to eat and now it seems that I will be having dinner with 6 friends I have never met!!

There probably will be seven. The wife is planning to come along if Sharon and Susie are going to be there.

Susie is planning to be there... maybe we need to call for a back room?

I'll give them a call Tuesday. I don't know if there is a back room. It's a small very casual eatery in a strip mall. We usually go to their other location which is near our house. I haven't been in this location in a couple of years, but I don't think it gets crowded.

Andy, is Debi coming? Mike how about Karla?

So I have it as:

John (ltljohn)

John (JohnBreyer)

Andy (hindsight)

Debi (Mrs. hindsight) ?

Al (awagnon)

Ms. Al

Bob (hopz)

Suz (Mrs. hopz)

Mike (fugu)? (last offically stated still checking w/Mrs., but sounds like in)

Karla (Mrs. fugu)?

Sharon (Bullett, Mrs. Twisties)

Twisties (Jan, Mr. Bullett lmao.gif)

So I have it at 9 to 12 persons.

Jan

It is unlikely that Debi will be joining us. Out built-in baby sitter has ballet class on Tuesdays.

But I will see if we can find someone else to watch the younger kids so she can come with. It may be a last minute thing so I hope we don't throw off the plans or skew the numbers if she is able to make it.

Thanks for asking.

See you Tuesday.

John (ltljohn)

John (JohnBreyer)

Andy (hindsight)

Debi (Mrs. hindsight) ?

Al (awagnon)

Ms. Al

Bob (hopz)

Suz (Mrs. hopz)

Mike (fugu)? (last offically stated still checking w/Mrs., but sounds like in)

Karla (Mrs. fugu)?

Sharon (Bullett, Mrs. Twisties)

Twisties (Jan, Mr. Bullett

Mrs. Al is Judy.

Archived