IGNORED

My Dead R1200GS Engine - And Now the Rest of the Story

Ken H.

The photo pretty much tells the tale:

247859437-M.jpg

$2300 in parts, and I would guess about 50 personal manhours later.

Now to get 600 miles on it under 4000RPM and readjust everything. Not an easy task this time of the year in this part of the country, the roads are a mess. tongue.gif

Oh well, I'm just glad it runs again!

A big thanks to everyone who offered advice and encouragement. thumbsup.gif

The rest of the tale is here:

Can the Piston be Salvaged?

Resurrecting My Dead Engine,

Good job Ken. BTW do you have any theories as to why your bike sustained the damage it did? I've heard of countless examples of low-speed drops with these bikes but I can't remember even one that resulted in internal engine damage. Could there have been a raised chunk of pavement or something that nailed the cylinder head?

BTW do you have any theories as to why your bike sustained the damage it did? I've heard of countless examples of low-speed drops with these bikes but I can't remember even one that resulted in internal engine damage.
Yeah, tell me about it! And it was a rather mild 15 MPH or so low side around a city corner.

Nothing seemed to ever really add up. The damage was consistent with the cylinder itself having been pushed backward. For example the dowel guides in the oil passages between the block and the cylinder were deflected/bent rearward and the guild pin between the head and the cylinder sheared off, clearly in the direction of the cylinder having moved backward. OTOH there was no external damage to the fins on either the head or the cylinder. Heck in the end I had some minor work done on the head itself and reused it.

But there was a big dent in exhaust pipe right at the upper curve downward. The bike ended up against a curb, so I suppose when it slid into the curb, still running the exhaust pipe might have hit hard enough to case a momentary deflection that then crashed the still moving piston.

But overall it's really a mystery. Like you said, usually a boxer is indestructible in a low side.

"But overall it's really a mystery. Like you said, usually a boxer is indestructible in a low side."

Boxers are indestructible in a low-side if they are sliding, not if they hit something solid like a side walk edge. In that case the only thing that may help is a set of good solid old fashioned crash bars but those might bend the frame or damage attachment points.

Is that really a carbon fiber dash surround?
Yes, it is Ztechnik's.

ZTechnik

Yes, before anyone says it, I know, non-functional, non-environmentally friendly farkle...

So how did it feel as you were about to thumb the starter button?
Well I had turned it over by hand a few times (with a big socket on the crankshaft bolt) and then with the starter before hooking the fuel pump back up, so I felt somewhat sure I had it back together right, but still...

And it was 2 AM so I thought about resisting until the next day (I live in a multi-family condo) but in the end I couldn't resist find out. So I fired it up!

And it was 2 AM so I thought about resisting until the next day (I live in a multi-family condo) but in the end I couldn't resist find out. So I fired it up!
I think it would have been seriously tough to get to sleep if you hadn't... grin.gif
So, do you trust the bike?
I don't know, good question. Probably not entirely, but I've sort of got a wait and see attitude about it at the moment. On one hand I'm pretty confident the work I did is right, OTOH, is there some hidden damage I missed? I kind of figure if there is still an issue it will show up pretty fast, e.g. in 1000 miles/km, not take 10,000 to reveal itself. Besides in reality I have little choice, as the weather improves I'll just ride it to and from work each day and see what happens.

Way to go, Ken. Now you can tackle that BRAKE FAILURE problem.

I'm sure the letter to the Munich prosecutor is already in the mail.

The $2300 was everything. Engine only about $1600 I'd guess.

I haven't actually categorize and added it all up. Too depressing... blush.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
The photo pretty much tells the tale:

247859437-M.jpg

Wow, missed this thread. Congratulations, Ken! Sucks that it had to be done, but finishing a big DIY project like this has gotta feel good at this point. thumbsup.gif

So? There was some warm weather there for awhile, right? smile.gif
Yeah, I got a couple of days in to/from work before it snowed again. I've got about 200 miles on it so far. It's pretty vibey. I'll have to see what it's like after I make another pass through it all at 600. In particular I think I've still got then rocker arm end play all wrong. Also I've been mulling over about how much one side being tight and new, and the other side having 28K on it has on vibration / imbalance?

Also I've been mulling over about how much one side being tight and new, and the other side having 28K on it has on vibration / imbalance?

Probably a good theory given how much nicer a broken in BMW motor feels than a new.

You could go crash the other side?

Also I've been mulling over about how much one side being tight and new, and the other side having 28K on it has on vibration / imbalance?

Probably a good theory given how much nicer a broken in BMW motor feels than a new.

You could go crash the other side?

Ahh......with friends like these.....grin.giflmao.gif

Ken, I hope everything works itself out for ya. You certainly are due quite a few years of trouble free riding after partaking in that mechanical adventure.

Hey Ken,

If you need another bike, my '07 will be for sale in nov./dec.

I can deliver it to Ron's x-mas party cuz that's when my new one should be ready to be picked up. dopeslap.gif

Hey Ron, you are having a party, right? wave.gif

Hey Ken,

If you need another bike, my '07 will be for sale in nov./dec.

Actually I was going to get around to asking you about your '07. But Nov./Dec. is a bit far off. If I was going to switch I'd probably want to do it this spring. Thought you were going to but a 650 soon?

"Thought you were going to but a 650 soon?"

Marty would have the F800GS now in March if they would come, and you could have his R1200GS. frown.gif

• 10 months later...
So Ken,

How is the bike doing now?

Guys on ADVrider want to know!

see it here.

Jim :Cool:

Hi Jim,

The bike has been just fine. Put about 8000 miles on it since the repair.

I'll post something over there.

Cheers!

Archived