IGNORED

THE RIDER'S WORKSHOP

Jim Ford

Hello Folks, I don't often post so I first want to introduce myself. Jim Ford here of The Rider's Workshop (www.ridersworkshop.com) I am planning a scouting "mission" to sunny Florida to search out what I call Invisible Roads for my Workshops. These are local roads with an emphasis on interesting landscape, hills and curves. I have never motorcycled in Florida before, and a dear friend and riding mate of mine, Paul Mihalka (aka Old Fart,) suggested I post you all as a possible resource.

What region of the state has the most concentrated Invisible Roads? It being Florida, I understand it's a relative thing. Do you happen to have a few route #'s I could explore?

Paul tells me a number of you folks are a fount of knowledge. I'd be most appreciative if I could tap the well.

Hi Jim -

Paul knows South Florida well, and I think he'd agree with my avatar for this area. If any roads in Florida can be termed interesting, they would have to be located well North of Lake Okeechobee, likely in the NW quadrant of the state. Some of our riders mid-state will for sure chime in with specifics.

Good luck!

I think that you will be looking for roads in the northern part of the state. Probably north of I-4. If you can use GPS files, I maybe able to help out.

Jim,

Start w/a Good Atlas, such as DeLorme.

There are some loops with variations that are nice, 2 lane, rural, little traffic, with food, that abound in the north of Ocala, west of Starke, over through the midsection of the Panhandle region.

Most "coastal" roads are disappointing in that there are developments and traffic, BUT, there are some that offer views of the water with less population and congestion.

I'll PM you at a later time and offer some suggestions.

wave.gif

I agree mostly flat uninteresting roads south of orlando but some interesting views. Came up the east side of Lake Okeechobee over the weekend.

p1010021re0.jpg

Nice view (I've seen it many times) but Jim for his Rider's Workshop to work needs twisty two-lane roads that preferably also go a bit up and down.

pedro cerveza

We call Florida the opposite of the Dragon, 11 turns in 413 miles. There are a few interesting roads. Try CR 455 from Rt 50 in Claremont to Rt 19 in Howey-In- The-Hills. CR 561 intersects with 455 in 2 places and it is a great ride as well. The road around Lake Apopka has some fairly twisty sections and some sweepers too. You'll want to check out the Ozello Trail. It's the twistiest road we have and you end up at the beach on the Gulf coast.

I am planning a scouting "mission" to sunny Florida to search out what I call Invisible Roads for my Workshops.

I think you'll be highly successful finding "invisible roads" in Florida. lmao.gif

Sorry I couldn't resist. Having ridden a number of times down there it was the first thing that came to mind when I read your description. I'm sure someone more local can help.

Francois_Dumas

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I figured you might know some roads with 'curves'... we saw a few nice ones on our trip last year.

How are you Bill !? smile.gif

Sorry I couldn't resist. Having ridden a number of times down there it was the first thing that came to mind when I read your description. I'm sure someone more local can help.

Tim, I can understand people up the eastern seaboard complaining about the roads in Florida in the Spring, Summer, and Fall, but not on Ground Hog Day, I mean....

Hey Punxsatawney Al, tell us what the groundhog does tomorrow, like we care... lmao.gif

Jim,

Forget about South Florida. Wonderful beaches. Flat and straight roads.

Others may have good suggestions for the Panhandle of Florida where Tallman has taken me on some wonderful routes.

The best roads I know about are in Citrus, Hernando, Pasco counties in West Central Florida. Lots of elevation changes, lots of curves, scenic routes thru horse and cattle farms and fragrant orange groves. Two of the best roads are the twisty routes in Ozello (Ozello Trail, Rt. 494) and Istachatta Rd. in Istachatta. The former twists thru Everglades-like wetlands and the latter passes ranches and farms.

Foreigners from the other 49 states that I have led on these roads have all been pleasantly surprised. They thought that there were NO good roads in Florida. Wrong. wave.gif

Here's the section of Florida of which I speak:

249943862-L.jpg

Archived