IGNORED

"Barn Find"

beemer2000

I am considering purchasing a 2000 F650 with only 351 actual miles on it. Just wondering what I should expect from a scooter that has been sitting in a garage for 8 years plus? Break in oil probably still in it. Probably has water contamination?

What is involved in the "500" mile dealer service $$$?

I rode the bike and it is clearly "brand new."

I am a little reluctant because of all the unknowns of maintenance early on in its lifespan that haven't been done.

Can these things be put off? Should the passing of time be neglected and treat it as a new bike?

Any comments would be apprecitated. I need to make a decision soon.

Thanks

Hi Terry, if the price is right I would jump on it. I would do a fluid change, clean the carbs & check the tires for dry rot. After that just ride it & have fun. This is a picture of my 97 that I should of kept, never had a problem with it.

100_0706.jpg

Pat

One would think that in North Carolina, that humidity and intermal condensation may be an issue. Internal rusting of metal parts would be my concern, along with the drying out of rubber seals. The carbs would be a given that they would have to be cleaned, unless this bike was professionally prepared for storage, but the odds of that are..... tongue.gif

Thanks for the response.

I can't seem to find any info on normal maintenance on these scoots? How about valve adjustments? How often?

I suspect fluid changes and new tires/tubes will be the only initial thing that needs to be done but after that???

How many miles did you put on your '97?

I will have to make a decision soon!!!!!????

I believe the valve check is every six thousand miles. I didn't put enough miles on mine (8000) to prove this but, i've been told that they rarely go out of spec. This site has tons of info on that bike. Good luck.

http://www.f650.com/

http://faq.f650.com/FMainIndex/Engine.htm

Pat

The valve check is every six, but my dealer said don't bother and check until 12K, which I did. They were spot on. He said don't even check next time until 24K.

Thanks for the response.

Every 6K miles is a bitch for me because I ride a lot. That's the reason I got away from Airheads. It seemed like 6K came around every two or three months. And I am not much of a mechanic. Why dont they make every motorcycle with hydralic valves that never need adjusting???? I guess I am just lazy! I had a Suzuki dual sport that had those kind of valves. Wahlah! The Japanese again! Maybe they had a better idea???

Thanks again. I just counter offered on the bike today. We will see????!!!

Terry

Thanks Dave. This bike isn't a GS but the surging problem probably included all 650 bikes during that time. I think there is a slight difference in the GS engine compared to the F650?

I am having a hard time making a decesion on this scoot.

It is perfect in every way.

I think I will call and make another counter offer.

Cheers

Thanks Dave. This bike isn't a GS but the surging problem probably included all 650 bikes during that time.

Fuel injection started in 2001. Thats when surging started too. Mere coincidence dopeslap.gif That 2000 you're looking at should be carbed.

I think there is a slight difference in the GS engine compared to the F650?

Not sure whether the Rotax engine changed after 2000, but I do recall that the bike itself changed. It was assembled in Italy by Aprilia when it was called the F650, and then production moved to Germany after the 2000 model year, when it was redesigned as the F650GS and F650CS.

I've read some posts elsewhere about the Italian-built bikes that complained of fluid leaks and hoses that split and such things that were attributed to Italian manufacturing. If that's all true, you might want to give the hoses and other soft parts a good look to see if they are fit.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. This website is a valuable asset.

I have probably missed this bike. I counter offered but didn't hear back. Oh well. There will be others. This one was just so perfect and such low milage. But "everything that glistens isn't gold" is what my grandfather used to say. dopeslap.gif

• 1 month later...

I bought the "barn find."

When I first rode it it had 482 miles on it. Now it approaches 1K. I bought it March 1.

Everything is new. Although it is a 2k, it is so refreshing to backdate and think well it's a new motorcycle, even though it's 8 years old. Everything is crisp, the gear box, the clutch, the ride (suspension), and it really seems like a new scooter!

I am very pleased and actually like the model even though it is somewhat outdated as far as having a god-forbid "chain" instead of a nice clean belt. The engine seems to perform as I would have expected, even though I haven't ridden the later models. I am, however, dissappointed with the low end torque. It does not like anything below 3K on the tach.

One thing I was very surprised with, and dislike, is the noise level of the engine. And this might be an inherent trait that I am not aware of. When you stop at a light or for any reason the engine takes over the peace and quite. It makes A LOT OF NOISE!

Other than the noise level increase, and lack of low end torque, compared to other bikes that I have owned, I am very pleased with my "barn find."

Archived