IGNORED

Texas Hill Country Ride???

johnlt

I haven't seen a post yet but it is normally in March. Are there plans for a Texas Hill Country Ride this year? Just want to make sure I don't miss it. The 800 mile run east on I-10 is just lovely!

I have bowed out as the organizer and we haven't had anyone come forward to take over the event.

Any takers out there? This would be a great opportunity to move the event out of Kerrville and start fresh somewhere else. Leakey? Bandera? Junction? Camp Wood? thumbsup.gif

It would be sad to see it die. bncry.gif

You Could be the Next Organizer

76860591.jpg

I'd be more than willing to help if I can do it from Tucson via phone but it seems we will need some "local" as the focal point. Not sure you can do any better than Kerrville as a HQ. It is right in the middle of the best riding.

How bout Big Bend????

Mo betta thumbsup.gif

It would be nice to get out of the crowds. The only "bad" thing about BB is the tickets are costly if the V1 doesn't work in time.

Lots of photo ops and mucho DS roads for those with dirt in their teeth.

Big Bend would work great. We could call it the Southwestern Hill Country Ride. Not too many hotels in the area. The Chisos Mountain Lodge would be great but not sure of the size and availability. Closest town is probably Marathon which is about 40 miles from the entrance to the park and about 80 to the Rio Grande. Marathon would also allow routes northwest to the Davis Mountains.

THIS place is big enough to hold us all and it's in a perfect location. Easy ride from here to the Davis loop and a perfect drop in point to the River Road (SWEET).

They serve a great breakfast and there is a restaurant on the other side of the parking lot. It's even close enough for those who need to see the Marfa Lights.

Last October we rented the whole ground floor of the Ramada, still a good breakfast - the restaurant next door had new owners and their Food and Service were non existent. If you are inclined you can do a 3 day loop into Copper Canyon with out any problems-all good Black Top roads.

I constructed a route from Ft. Davis to the Chisos Mountian Lodge, Stata Elena overlook, Terlingua and back and it was ~300 miles. If you looped it through Presideo so you didn't ride the same roads back, it comes out 335 miles. Both very dooable.

I constructed a route from Ft. Davis to the Chisos Mountian Lodge, Stata Elena overlook, Terlingua and back and it was ~300 miles. If you looped it through Presideo so you didn't ride the same roads back, it comes out 335 miles. Both very dooable.

Some nice roads in there!!!!

thumbsup.gif

a perfect drop in point to the River Road (SWEET).

I did a River Road route and get about 335 from Fort Davis. closer from Alpine. Eric, is River Road GS dooable or do you need a "real" dirt bike?

Eric, is River Road GS dooable or do you need a "real" dirt bike?

It is the paved portion of Hwy 170 from Lajitas to Presidio. No GS needed grin.gif

Here is a picture from the river road:

Dscn0408.jpg

I'm going to start another post Titled "Big Bend Bash replacing Hill Country Spring Fling, a Poll" where I will try to judge the amount of interest.

Eric, is River Road GS dooable or do you need a "real" dirt bike?

There are 2 River Roads...Hwy 170 from Study Butte to Presidio is the one most street riders are familiar with...the other River Road is in BB Park... it starts near Castolon on the west side of the park and runs about 60 miles east to Rio Grande Village...it is doable on a big DS, but not particularly enjoyable unless you like riding thru deep sand and gravel...the east side is easy, but has lots of rain gulleys and washouts...the west side is dry stream beds with deep sand and gravel...most big DS riders say they didn't have a lot of fun...

Archived