IGNORED

Tennessee, Missouri, Iowa Residents?

Exploreinman

I'm planning a ride to the Dakotas this summer and I would like to take all backroads there from my home in Augusta, GA. I'm looking at a route through Tennessee, Missouri, and Iowa. For those of you who really know your state, can you suggest some back country highways through your state in a general direction from Georgia to South Dakota? Any suggestions for scenic routes that "show off" the beauty of your state would be appreciated. Thanks, thumbsup.gif

From Memphis, riding up the Mississippi River isn't a bad way to go. Then follow the Missouri River from St. Louis or the Des Moines River from Keokuk.

For more twisty roads, you'll want to ride through central and southern Missouri and head towards Kansas City.

thumbsup.gif to you for choosing to ride through Missouri and Iowa instead of taking the more direct route through Illinois.

For more twisty roads, you'll want to ride through central and southern Missouri and head towards Kansas City.
Central and southern Missouri Missouri are indeed nice, but from there I wouldn't suggest heading toward KC. The problem is once you get this far west, from then onward is boring. Iowa or Nebraska north of KC is straight as an arrow. If it was me I'd stay more southern & eastern Missouri then go north. Eastern Iowa isn't as boring as the central part. Nor is southern Minnesota.

K-7 in Kansas is pretty nice, with the exception of when it piggybacks on 169. It clips the SW side of the KC area on through Leavenworth where it turns twisty again and follows the KS/MO border into NE. From Osawatomie to Mound City is one of my favorite riding spots. Plan to take it north to the border when it warms up again.

For Tennessee, from outside Murphy NC to Cairo IL and the crossing of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, I'd do something like this (opens in Google maps).

zz.gif

You get some Cumberland Plateau action on 30, some good rolling country around Nashville on 96 and 46, and a trip along the Land Between the Lakes in Tennessee and Kentucky.

You'll be missing the Cherohala Skyway, Deal's Gap, Newfound Gap, the Foothills Parkway and even the Blue Ridge Parkway all off to the north, so you won't be getting the "very best" of Tennessee.

Thanks Matt for the route through Tennessee. That looks really nice. I don't mind missing Cherohala Skyway, Deal's Gap, etc. I ride those all the time since their in my "backyard." Other than the mountains of eastern Tennessee, the only other part of the state I've seen has been on the Interstates. I-24 up to Nashville is beautiful, but I want to stay off of the Interstates and see the countryside. Thanks a bunch! thumbsup.gif

Archived