IGNORED

What I learned in Gunnison

Dakota Dave

Dakota Dave

Like all great life experiences I learned a few things at Gunnison:

[*] I learned how to replace a throttle cable (both the wrong and the right way)[*] I learned that Wurty and Glenno should have been brothers (oops maybe they are)[*] I learned Malcolm Smith’s phone number in Colorado (I am taking bids)[*] I learned that riding fast with fellow RT riders is fun (and riding really fast is REALLY FUN!)[*] I learned never to let Tom Roe pass you or all you will ever see is his taillight (a big brown one)[*] I learned that Dick Frantz is a very cool guy. (He also buys lunch on occasion, which makes him even cooler)[*] I learned that riding with Tom, Dave and Jake significantly decreases your driving time between locations (and dramatically increases your likely hood of getting a speeding ticket – wee!)[*] I learned that RT riders (and RS, S & K riders) are much cooler than Hells Angels (and better looking too!)[*] I learned that doughnuts are not fattening if you ride and RT (at least that is what it looked like from the way everyone was eating them)[*] I learned that riding over a 11,000 foot mountain pass in the rain and in the dark can be fun (and give you racing stripes in your shorts)[*] I learned that Pizza at 10:00PM tastes great when eaten with friends (especially after riding over a mountain pass – see line above)[*] Last of all I learned that I really like all you guys and gals and would do this again in a heartbeat!!!

russell_bynum

I felt like we should have had some triumphant music playing as we rolled back into town...what a total rush!

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard as that night at Pizza.

I learned that you should wait til you are done laughing to drink your Pepsi, or you might have a really bad choking episode. Oh well, it was worth a temporary lack of air...we had such a good time that night! Pizza at 10PM does taste mighty good!

I also learned that the people on this board are a mighty fine group of people...good-hearted, funny, giddy, and just downright delightful!

More later in a ride tale...if I can put it all into words!

--Lisa

sierrarider

I'd like to say that I learned a lot about about the kind of people that are on this board. We faced trying conditions, met interesting people (MALCOLM SMITH!!!!!!!!) We rode hard and fast in the hills. Late night pizza was a blast! I made new friends that will last a lifetime. I can't wait to do it all over again. See you guys next time...

>>>met interesting people (MALCOLM SMITH!!!!!!!!)<<<

Malcolm Smith came to Gunnison??!!!!!

Please elaborate!!!

Keith B.

02 R1150RT Silver

Marietta, GA

While the group was working with Lester to replace his broken throttle cable at a gas station east of Independance pass, Malcolm Smith saw the BMWs and stopped by to chat and kindly consented to numerous photos.

Sometimes a broken throttle cable is a good thing:

Team mechanical work is always fun.

Monarch pass at night in a thunderstorm is a unique experience

Wouldn't have passed up the 10:00 PM pizza party for anything!

Dakota Dave

By the way I want one of those Malcom Photos. I think I will make into a poster. It was great I can not wait until next year.

Wow, what a great story!

That would be like having Chuck Yeager stop by to chat while I was working on my airplane!

Please post a photo if possible. Thanks.

Keith B.

02 R1150RT Silver

Marietta, GA

russell_bynum

Here's the pic

It's big (1600X1200) so it'll take a while to download but it should be suitable for printing/desktops/whatever.

I'm gonna go out and sit by the side of the road with a flat tire on my bicycle in the hopes that Lance Armstrong will happen past....

smile.gif

In reply to:

I'm gonna go out and sit by the side of the road with a flat tire on my bicycle in the hopes that Lance Armstrong will happen past....

Uhhhhh, don't you mean Erkel??? Maybe PeeWee Herman?? laugh.gifshocked.giflaugh.gif

I once followed Malcom out of Elsinore atop a Scrambler. He picked his way carefully through the debris on the streets, and through wads and wads of backmarkers, and just seemed to be cruising, looking for a place to stop for a hamburger. When we entered the dirt, and I began to fall farther and farther behind, and faster and faster so, at full throttle he climbed a blind rise that had to be hiding at least a score of backmarkers, and just seemed to feel he could change that bike's course in mid-air. What courage.

But that courage pales in comparison to that required to stand there smiling in front of the most Motley Crew I've ever seen in one photo -- and know it would appear on hundreds of computer screens across the globe!!! What a guy!!

In reply to:

But that courage pales in comparison to that required to stand there smiling in front of the most Motley Crew I've ever seen in one photo -- and know it would appear on hundreds of computer screens across the globe!!! What a guy!!

I know! We should have had us ladies (Shelly, Connie and myself) pose with him instead...now that would have been a picture!!! JK. tongue.gif

--Lisa

I learned that I better try and make a Tech Daze because you never know when you have to perform major surgery on your bike. I also learned who Malcom Smith was. Give me a break I've only seen the show once, but I'll now get the video. Hey, I'm starting a little campaign to have the next Un in Arkansas. Oh come on we might be able to unite the east and the west. Besides I can't wait to the ole boys down here get a look at us guys and gals all duded up in our space suits strafing their hills. But if you here the banjo music it;s really time to take it up a couple of notches.

Archived