IGNORED

Transporting Motorcycle

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

My wife and I have always wanted to travel the Pacific Cost Highway and did not want to wait until retirement. We are currently in good health and you never know what tomorrow may bring. Unfortunately we only have two weeks vacation to do this and because we live in New Hampshire this would not be enough time, so we thought that we would ship the motorcycle to Washington state fly there to start our trip. Washington would be a good place because there are few states that we have not been in with the bike including Montana, Idaho, Oregon, California and Nevada. I have contacted a couple of specialty transporters and they would need my bike anywhere from three to five weeks ahead of time. Our riding season is short enough without giving up a month. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thought of Amtrak but they only transport vehicles going to Florida. Might have to wait for retirement.

I'd call my local long distance mover agents and ask them if they have any moves going to to the West Coast. For instance Allied Movers may have a cross country move scheduled and room on their truck for your bike. It's worth asking.

Allied moved all three of our bikes on the moving truck with our furniture and two other households going further south....all went very well.

Friends of ours moved to Oregeon from NJ with three bikes; it took only one week for the movers to arrive.

Have you considered renting motorcycles? The obvious downside is that you won't be on your own bikes but the upside is that you will have eliminated the arduous task of transporting your bikes.

Try eaglerider.com or calif-motorcyclerental.com, I have only rented locally but it seems like an idea to consider.

Just a thought. You are going to enjoy a lot of great riding between WA and CA...with seemingly unlimited options of great roads and a wide variety of scenery...and weather.

Steve Kolenda

Laura, I will check that out. John, we discussed that option but because of custom seats, intercom, gps, etc we decided we would prefer not to rent. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I've heard good things about Federal Motorcycle Shippers. They're a division of Allied, as mentioned by Laura (hey Laura wave.gif)

http://www.funtransport.com/about.html

Yes, in fact when we called Federal (after Haul Bikes/Daily Direct let us down because they were suddenly shorthanded) and told them our furniture was going with Allied they told us they were the "special products" division of Allied and we shouldn't hesitate to put the bikes on the truck with our furniture because the driver and crew would know what to do. They did and we saved about $800.00 to boot.

Hey Art!!! You have an open invitation down here, c'mon down and visit us. The riding is great !!

Archived