IGNORED

lane splitting in Canada?

bowcop

Hello all............

Can any on you tell me if lane splitting in Canada (B.C.) is allowed? And if so, do people try to ram you, open the car door, etc.....?

Just wondering cause this summer I am gonna ride in BC alot...

Thanks!

Tim

Hello all............

Can any on you tell me if lane splitting in Canada (B.C.) is allowed? And if so, do people try to ram you, open the car door, etc.....?

Just wondering cause this summer I am gonna ride in BC alot...

Thanks!

Tim

Lane splitting in BC is not allowed and will get you a ticket in a hurry. On that note, because it is not legal, it would probably have the effect in getting people to try to ram you off the road or open their door into your lane or yell at you...but then again, Canadians are such nice people that they might just leave you alone grin.gif

Enjoy the riding in BC, it is awesome! Make sure you head to Vancouver Island as well as there are some kick ass roads over there.

Cheers,

Misti

I ride every day to work, and constantly split between the cars in the right lane and parked cars. From time to time I have passed police cars doing this as well. No one has batted an eye. Mind you, I do it relatively slowly, which may mitigate things. Of course, the other thing is that the police car is mired in traffic, and hasn't a hope of catching up anyway. lmao.gif

Thanks Misti and Bob! I live in Blaine, but commute everyday to Pt. Roberts.....and the traffic on 99 and 17 can be pretty bad, I was just wondering if lane splitting or shoulder riding was a no no in BC.... Now I like the RCMP, but don't want to meet one under those circumstances!

Thanks again!

Shoulder riding is not tolerated. Don't ask how I know.

The lanes on our highways are pretty narrow and aren't "lane splitting" friendly. Having said that I was buzzed a couple of years ago heading east from Vancouver on Highway 1 by a group of sport riders lane splitting/shoulder riding and they got away with it .... for a while.

Mike Cassidy

At first, I though the subject was a joke. I would lane split in a heartbeat but I have never seen a traffic jam in Canada. But then again, my Canadian trips are usually to far flung corners: Gaspe, NL, NS.

Rocket_Cowboy
The 401 across Toronto is the busiest road in North America, so unfortunately, we do have traffic jams.

Indeed they do!

I was able to filter through traffic pretty easily without splitting the last time I rode the 401 through Toronto, and didn't detect any negative feelings from the surrounding drivers. I didn't see anyone lane splitting though ... granted I didn't see many other bikes at all as the last time I rode through Canada was mid-October of 2006.

You go right past my place - I am in Tsawwassen. Note that if you stay on Highway 99 to Highway 17, instead of taking the shortcut along Highway 10, you can take advantage of an HOV lane. It depends on the time of day whether that will be of advantage.

Hi Ron,

The route you described is exactly the way I go! I live in Blaine but work at Pt. Roberts....BTW..who do you use for service?

Thanks!

Tim

I would lane split in a heartbeat but I have never seen a traffic jam in Canada..

Then you need to come to Vancouver. From one end of the city to the other (just under 10 miles) there are 56 traffic lights that are generally red-synchronized. Works out to one every 1.3 blocks. Here, it is civic policy to CREATE traffic congestion!!

Archived