IGNORED

Help needed in planning a Anza Borrego area Road Trip for this weekend.

JerryMather

I need your help because I don't know about all those cool twisty roads that you guys down south are hiding from us Crest riders.

No, I don't really care about seeing Palomar, but I do remember Gleno, Sam and myself doing a few very cool roads around there one year on the 4th of July with Tool and a bunch of you from around here. thumbsup.gif

lurker.gif

Jerry

Your most direct route for you or the un-fun way to Borrego Springs if you need to make time to get out there is 101, 134, I-210, I-215, I-10, 86, S22.

There are a lot of choices for you. Rt. 79, RT. 76, Mesa Grande Rd. is an excellent choice off Rt. 76 across from Lake Henshaw, Palomar is good but a lot of LEO's. S2 is also good down to Rt. 78 (lots of high speed sweepers). S22 up and down Montezuma's Grade is a "must do" road. If you have time take Rt. 79 south of Julian and check out S1 to Mt. Laguna. It is a beautiful road. I can be more specific if you want a direct route. So there are a lot of options. If you are camping I would recommend Agua Caliente Hot Springs off S2 north of Ocotillo.

Jerry

Your most direct route for you or the un-fun way to Borrego Springs if you need to make time to get out there is 101, 134, I-210, I-215, I-10, 86, S22.

There are a lot of choices for you. Rt. 79, RT. 76, Mesa Grande Rd. is an excellent choice off Rt. 76 across from Lake Henshaw, Palomar is good but a lot of LEO's. S2 is also good down to Rt. 78 (lots of high speed sweepers). S22 up and down Montezuma's Grade is a "must do" road. If you have time take Rt. 79 south of Julian and check out S1 to Mt. Laguna. It is a beautiful road. I can be more specific if you want a direct route. So there are a lot of options. If you are camping I would recommend Agua Caliente Hot Springs off S2 north of Ocotillo.

We're going to run the backside of the Crest to get out to the desert and then into Joshua Tree area. We don't want to do much slab, (FWY) material if at all possible, until we're ready to head back up to LA.

Need help south of Palm Springs only.

Jerry

If you are entering Joshua Tree Nat. Park from Rt. 62 and coming out of the southern entrance go directly across I-10 and continue on that road. That road is called Box Canyon Rd. and you and your friends will love it. Nice tight canyon with some nice scenery. Watch out for sand after the rain. Stay on that road until you come into the town of Mecca. Turn left or south onto Rt. 86 and go about 20 miles. Then turn right or west onto Rt. S22 for 30 miles to Borrego Springs. You can see these roads on the Ca. state map. S22 west out of B.S. (Montezuma's grade) is a must do road. Just go to the top turn around and run it back down. I will be out there in Feb. myself. Have fun.

That road is called Box Canyon Rd. and you and your friends will love it. Nice tight canyon with some nice scenery. Watch out for sand after the rain.
I second that "Watch out for sand" as thats the canyon that got me and Dtool on the way to Torrey a few years back. A fine layer of sand that we couldn't see until we were stopped and standing on the pavement. Which, of course was too late at that point. Be very careful in box canyon if you do go that route.

Jerry,

Sounds as though you have plenty of advanced local help, more than we can give from our once through, but here is the link to the route Jamie took us on in our visit (see ride tales for the whole story):

Link to route

I was a great afternoon ride of the glass elevator, Julian, Mt. Laguna, etc. The glass elevator is the section east of Ranchita to Borrego Springs. Mt Laguna is the section called Sunrise Scenic Parkway on S1.

I would rate both of those sections as "Must Ride". Jeez I thought all you Socal types road those every day. Both can get chilly!

Have a nice ride, be careful on the elevator. Watch for blown sand on Mt Laguna.

Jan

Thanks guys ......... since we're going to Joshua Tree first, I'm thinking we'll run out of time to really explore the southern area that I'd like to. But the Krew will hopefully get a little taste of it and we'll be returning in the spring time when we have longer days and we'll go down there directly.

Thanks again. wave.gif

Archived