IGNORED

R1150RT oil filters

johnv

I ordered some oil filters online from Motobins hoping to receive the unpainted Mahle OEM filters. Instead I received black painted Mann filters. They appear to be decent quality at least from their outside appearance. Has anybody used these and are they at least as good as OEM filters? Thanks.

John Veilleux

Hello,

Not sure about this:

Motobins sells OEM and non OEM.

The non OEM is the DONIT brand.

Recent pictures I saw from a R1200 GS show a black oil filter from Mann+Hummel which I suspect to have become the new OEM supplier.

So may be you have effectively the OEM.

The non OEM Mann+Hummel filter was designated MW712.

Check yours.

Ride safe

Thanks for the info. The article is interesting. It would have been nice to include a cost comparison too. I would definitely stay away from the Fram and Purolator as they seem to be very low quality, not something I would put on an expensive motorcycle.

John Veilleux

The automotive MANN filter is about $5.10 from www.thepartsbin.com of course there is also shipping.

Less than the BMW filter, more than what you will pay for an AC or Purolator filter at the parts store.

The alternate filters you can get fit last generation SAABs and, more importantly, Saturn cars (and others I suppose) so they are readily available everywhere, in many brands.

Here is probably more info that you ever want to know about oil filters: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

This guy, whose research seems to be pretty good, likes the Purolator Pure One. However, it's the same price as the OEM filter so if you like the OEM filters, stick with them. He doesn't like Fram, mostly because of stories he's heard (not first hand info) of Frams coming apart. I just ordered a couple of Bosch 72161 filters from Kragen for $3.98 each. Haven't gotten them yet.

Has anyone tried using the Toyota oil filter listed in the archive for R bike maintenance part data? The part#'s are both superceded by part# 90915-DZZD1 ($5.41) which has an anti-drain back valve, the OEM filter does not. The physical dimensions are the same and it appears to be a high quality product which is readily available.

mobil m1-102, available at participating autoparts stores and sub $5.oo

These are rated very good also. You read some of the same info I did. No need to complicate things. Toyota? Online what? Just go grab one; I like that thumbsup.gif

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I followed Jerry's thread mentioned above:

>Here is probably more info that you ever want to know about oil filters: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

and ended up looking around on this site. Under his "break in" link I found an some interesting thoughts. Hmmm, I wonder how this method would work in a BMW with those renowned Nikasil cylinders???

The part about changing out the oil (and filter!) sooner rather than later to get rid of loose metal flakes does make intuitive sense to me.

What do ya'all think?

-Mike

...Bosch 72161 filters from Kragen for $3.98 each.

I wasn't aware of that alternative - have you tried it yet? I know the Bosch 3330 is an oilhead fit, and a good filter.

jv

mobil m1-102, available at participating autoparts stores and sub $5.oo

Where can you get that filter for under $5.00? I've only seen it for about $9.50 and up (to as high as $12.50). I agree its a good filter, although there have been reports of oil pressure blowing the cans off the flange.

Thanks,

jv

OK ya got me. I spoke too quickly. The filter is available locally, but the reason I was able to purchase them cheap was because the local store was selling filters at 40% off (with coupon) with the purchase of a case or more of oil. I bought two cases one for the bike one for the truck, and filters (extra) to match. But still my question is, why order a filter from europe, or play around with odd applications when good, affordable, locally available filters are possible to get? I think we go out of our way sometimes to complicate maintenance issues. crazy.gif

• 7 months later...

Archived