IGNORED

1953 South American Championship

Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka

If you'd like to read the previous two chapters, you can find them here:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/976246/an/0/page/1#Post976246

Mid-1953 there was in the program a South American international race, named "Campeonato Sur-Americano" even if it was only one race, to be held in Lima, Peru. The Venezuelan government's main sports authority "Instituto Nacional de Deportes", was willing to sponsor a team. Racing in those times was in four classes, by engine size: 125cc, 250cc, 350cc, 500cc. Original plan was sending the Venezuelan points leader in each class. In 500cc it was my German friend and tutor. In 350cc they had a problem. The most famous guy, folk hero, "El Negro Vivas", was racing in the 350cc class, but he was not leading. I was. So we both went.

Just getting to Lima was interesting. The National Venezuelan airline had one flight a week non-stop from Caracas to Lima and back, every Monday. I think it was more a prestige flight than business. Plane was a Lockheed Constellation. It was a 14 hour flight. So they took the seats out of half the cabin and loaded the bikes in there, nicely tied down. A curtain, and behind it the passengers - us. I don't remember if there was any additional passenger besides our team: the racers, one mechanic, the motorcycle racing organization top guy and of course two Government "authorities".

We arrived on a Monday. The schedule was half hour of practice on Saturday and the race on Sunday. They could not give more practice time because they had to close public roads. hmmmm. Very convenient for the local guys...

Most of our team went sight-seeing, partying, having a good time. With my German buddy we had a arrangement that a friend of a friend in Lima was going to loan us a bike. We made the connection and we were riding a beautiful better than mint BMW R69S!

The racing circuit was 7 km, +/- 4.5 miles. It was frequently used for local races, cars or motorcycles. After the start from a avenue it went down to the beach and did about half a mile on hard beach sand. Than up onto a rocky cliff with some nice tight turns and down again to just touch the beach. From there up again, through a unlit tunnel, about 1000 ft long and barely two car wide, then a few street corners and back to the start/finish avenue.

With my friend we spent the three available days alternately riding and walking the circuit. We did not do any fast riding but learned every piece of road surface and every reference mark on it. For instance where the street turned into the start /finish avenue it was a tight 120 degree corner which at one time was made more open by cutting off the inside sidewalk, but the new pavement was like what you would find inside a house - slick. We decided it is better to go wide and don't ride on that piece.

Practice went real well. Our days of exploration payed off. After four laps or so I did 4 minutes 8 sec, which was better than the 350 cc lap record . My partner "El Negro" had to show right away how fast he is, on his first practice lap of the circuit, and slid out on the slick cement we decided to bypass. Luckily no damage done.

Two of the riders lost their front fender on the bumpy road, crashing because the fender got into the front wheel. I checked the rules and with the local authorities, and nothing said you have to have a fender. So I took mine off.

My main competition was a Swiss gentleman, Theodore Roth, who owned the repair shop where we kept our bikes. He was a older guy, at least 35 years old :-) . He rode a Royal Enfield Bullet, supposedly a sportier bike than my Velo,

The race: Seven laps. I just kept it solid, tight and safe. Right away on the beach I passed "El Negro", with Mr. Roth right behind me. I rode with a hanky on my face to protect me from kicked up sand and stuff. I ended up not really needing it. What won the race for me was better brake and better braking. I noticed that on the couple of almost-U turns I always gained a lot on Mr. Roth. On the second lap, from the start/finish avenue a fairly steep down-hill and then a U-turn onto the beach, I left my braking late to my limit. As expected, Mr. Roth shot by me on the inside and rode about 100 feet onto the beach, in the wrong direction. He did not get very close to me after that. My fastest lap was the one next to last, but I did not improve on my best practice lap. I didn't have to. After the first lap all my laps were between 4 minutes 9 sec and 4 minutes 11 sec. Next day one of the newspapers called me "El Chronometro".

My German friend was riding very well a Triumph T100C but with bad luck, on the last lap something kicked up broke one spark plug and he finished third behind Argentine ace Juan Salatino on a Gilera Saturno Corsa and a local guy on a Norton Manx. My Venezuelan partners in 125 cc and 250 cc finished scond each of them.

Some pictures:

Before the race

i-fBnr7j9.jpg

i-xrHQZnh.jpg

On the start line - behind me is Mr. Roth. You can see my nice front brake on the bike

i-cnfbr69-L.jpg

Racing, on the course

i-Xj9hNLN.jpg

After the race :) :)

i-P3F8bNj-L.jpg

Next installment: 1954 on the 500cc Gilera Saturno...

Thank you, Paul. Salatino was a young up-and-comer during my Dad's last year racing in Aregentina, 1905 (the year he married my Mom). Your stories almost bring me to tears, remembering how my Dad used to tell us about his exploits.

I absolutely cannot thank you enough for these wonderful recollections, the pictures, the details. Bravo, bravo, bravo.

Te debo un abrazo.

George Brown
...Dad's last year racing in Aregentina, 1905 (the year he married my Mom).

Fernando, when I met you at Redmond, you didn't look old enough to have parents who married in 1905 grin.gif

Paul, keep this stuff coming it's fantastic! clap.gif

I understand you are finding time to post these excellent stories because you dropped a LT on your leg and broke it.

What are we going to drop on you next year??? clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Paul Mihalka
I understand you are finding time to post these excellent stories because you dropped a LT on your leg and broke it.

What are we going to drop on you next year??? clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

BUUUUUUUUUU...
...Dad's last year racing in Aregentina, 1905 (the year he married my Mom).

Fernando, when I met you at Redmond, you didn't look old enough to have parents who married in 1905 grin.gif

True dat. Typo. My bad. While I'm no spring chicken, it was in 1950 that my parents married. I was born two years later.

Thanks for the chuckle. grin.gif

Yes Paul, keep them coming. They are well written. I realize what seems as history to many of us, is your life and these events must seem as yesterday. I think they are an amazing story, no matter how we regard them.

I am struck by the way your experiences reflect what we so often call the "american dream", by which we usually mean the USA. But here you are, an immigrant come with nothing, who by dint of hard work, ingenuity, serious application, and I suspect a bit of innate talent, made a go of things! But you were not in the USA then.

You started out with the photographing and worked your way into riding, may I ask, was it paying the bills? In the midst of this success did you live well from the riding, or did you have a day job?

Anyway, it's great to read of this,

Jan

This stuff is priceless. Thank you Paul for taking the time to post this. Lest we forget that what we do today will have romantic importance many years from now.

Peter

What won the race for me was better brake and better braking.

I have a feeling it was a little more than that, and very little to do with equipment. Thanks again, Paul. Thought about writing a book? Some of my favorites involve motorcycles- Jupiter's Travels, One Man Caravan, Against the Wind, etc., and I'd bet they were first stories the authors of those books told to friends.

Paul you have me hook, line and sinker and I am looking forward to your next installment. Pulled me out of the infamous “lurker status” you did. I agree with other posters these stories are crying to be published as either a series in a magazine like you are presenting or in a book format at the end of the day. They are simply excellent, dare to dream, thank you for sharing them. These stories will now have me attending the Un-Rally under the pretense of getting a chance to shake your hand. Not to under score any of the other characters on this board attending or the great riding the area has to offer. Thanks again for sharing. Mike

Archived