IGNORED

Colorado CR9 & CR88 question

GTman

Can someone tell me if CR9 and CR88 between Canon City and Cripple Creek Colorado are paved all the way? Also, what about SR67 from Cripple Creek to Divide? I'm planning a trip for September and I thought US50 from Salida to Canon City looked more curvy and fun than to take US285 north to US24.

My goal on this leg of the route is to get from Black Canyon of the Gunnison to Pike's Peak and stay on pavement. Any suggestions? I prefer not going through Colorado Springs because I'll be doing that when I leave Pike's Peak and head back to North Carolina.

Can someone tell me if CR9 and CR88 between Canon City and Cripple Creek Colorado are paved all the way? Also, what about SR67 from Cripple Creek to Divide? I'm planning a trip for September and I thought US50 from Salida to Canon City looked more curvy and fun than to take US285 north to US24.

My goal on this leg of the route is to get from Black Canyon of the Gunnison to Pike's Peak and stay on pavement. Any suggestions? I prefer not going through Colorado Springs because I'll be doing that when I leave Pike's Peak and head back to North Carolina.

If you are talking about county road 9 and county road 88 due north out of Canon City, there are some dirt sections and a one-lane shelf road along that route. An alternative would be (assuming a start somewhere along US 50 near the Black Canyon area):

- US 50 to just west of Canon City (This takes you over Monarch Pass and along some very scenic twisties along the Arkansas river. Take a side trip to the Royal Gorge if you have the time).

- north on Colorado 9 (note: NOT county 9) to Hartsel

- east on 24 (If you want to see Cripple Creek head south on 67 . To answer your question about 67, it is paved all the way and a very pretty ride.)

On the way into Colorado Spring on US24, stop in Woodland Park at the Donut Mill. The strudel is excellent.

Another alternative would be to continue on US 50 through Canon City and then head up 115. This does take you into Colorado Springs but 115 is one of my favorite local rides.

FWIW....

If you are talking about county road 9 and county road 88 due north out of Canon City, there are some dirt sections and a one-lane shelf road along that route. An alternative would be (assuming a start somewhere along US 50 near the Black Canyon area):

- US 50 to just west of Canon City (This takes you over Monarch Pass and along some very scenic twisties along the Arkansas river. Take a side trip to the Royal Gorge if you have the time).

- east on 24 (If you want to see Cripple Creek head south on 67 . To answer your question about 67, it is paved all the way and a very pretty ride.)

On the way into Colorado Spring on US24, stop in Woodland Park at the Donut Mill. The strudel is excellent.

Another alternative would be to continue on US 50 through Canon City and then head up 115. This does take you into Colorado Springs but 115 is one of my favorite local rides.

FWIW....

Thanks for the tips on the local sweets and scenery. I think I solved my routing problem here.

http://www.sangres.com:80/coloradobyways/goldbelt.htm

I can take State Road 9 as you suggest but then head northeast on High Park Rd. then Teller County Road 1 to Florissant. The info at this site indicates they are paved the entire length.

FWIW....

Thanks for the tips on the local sweets and scenery. I think I solved my routing problem here.

http://www.sangres.com:80/coloradobyways/goldbelt.htm

I can take State Road 9 as you suggest but then head northeast on High Park Rd. then Teller County Road 1 to Florissant. The info at this site indicates they are paved the entire length.

That's a good alternative. I haven't been that way for quite a few years but IIRC it takes you past 11 mile reservoir and some nice scenery. Safe trip.....

Archived