IGNORED

Hey, we may be gettin' somewhere in this Blue-ray vs. HD-DVD issue...

bakerzdosen

So, Warner Brothers (Hollywood's biggest seller of DVD's) finally picked sides. And they're going with Blu-ray.

It's not the death knell for HD-DVD, but it's a very big blow.

It seems that they finally caught on that people were basically waiting for the debate to end before buying anything.

Still, one alarming trend Warner keyed on was that consumers didn't appear motivated by price reductions on high-definition disc players.

"When we saw that was not impacting sales in the level that it should have, and the consumer research that we did indicated that the consumers were holding back from buying either one of the two formats ... we thought it was the right time to act," Tsujihara said, noting that even sales of standard DVDs were affected because consumers appeared unsure over which format to go with.

"That was kind of the worst of all worlds for us," he said.

lurker.gif

Here's hoping that there's just one format to choose from for next Christmas.

(I would have just added this to my thread from last August, but it's mysteriously disappeared...)

lurker.gif indeed.

And dopeslap.gif for finally discovering that many consumers don't care to own the next Betamax.

Maybe the prices will come down a bit faster now. Then I'll buy one.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I wanted to get into HD but was very leary with the format wars going on, so I bought a Sony PS3 (plays Blu-ray disks) a while back figuring if Blu-ray took a dump, I'd still have something the kids could use to play games, when and if they came to visit. I'm glad to hear that I won't have to buy another player or replace the Blu-ray movies I have accumulated. I've tried a couple of the games, but more than one button and a joystick is beyond my capabilites. What happened to Asteroids and Space invaders?

Rich

Hi Matt!

I've kept this thread now so it will not auto-delete in 90 days should other news need to be appended to it (like your nickname thread! wink.gif ).

BTW, I thought Betamax was the superior technology. Sony's big mistake was in not licensing it and letting the open VHS market price them out of existence (kind of like Apple almost did vs. PC/MS-DOS).

Well, good to know it's here if I need it... Just like the other one.

And FWIW, my mom always rubs it in my face that she knows I've made at least one bad decision in my life... I told them to pick Betamax instead of VHS back in '84...

Oh well, at least I got that out of my system early. smile.gif

It'll be interesting to see how fully vested companies (think Toshiba or Sony) will concede defeat if/when this thing finally ends.

Archived