IGNORED

Riding in Costa Rica

Keith S

My eldest daughter got engaged over the holidays. clap.gif She is having a “destination” wedding in Costa Rica. I searched the net for motorcycle rentals and tours and was wondering if anyone has any experience with motorcycling in Costa Rica.

Thanks, Keith

My eldest daughter got engaged over the holidays. clap.gif She is having a “destination” wedding in Costa Rica. I searched the net for motorcycle rentals and tours and was wondering if anyone has any experience with motorcycling in Costa Rica.

Thanks, Keith

FYI Some on this board are still wanted men in Central America.... lmao.gif

Oddly enough I've never ridden a motorcycle there, but I lived there for one year and have been back about a dozen times, and on each visit I rented a 4WD vehicle and drove all over the country.

As far as driving in Central American countries goes, it's the tamest by far. Roads are not in good condition anywhere, but I'm just talking about potholes and such.

It's a more sophisticated country in that the police are much more professional---so if you do get stopped, don't screw around with them. On the other hand, you're not likely to have your rights violated. They are largely an unarmed, friendly country. No standing army. Better medical care and higher literacy rate than the US, for instance, and they rely on US tourism as a major source of income.

Petty crime is rampant and don't be fooled by the civility. There are pick pockets everywhere and more sophisticated schemes that involve induced flat tires and offers to "help"--which turn into something else. tongue.gif

It's a wonderful, safe, great place to start an adventure in Central America. Sort of like an African who lived in a tribe all his life and wanting to get an introduction to the US, and so he's dropped off in Colorado first, saving Cabrini Green for last. grin.gif

Thanks, Keith

Costa Rica is a fabulous place. 5 times and counting for me. I personally would not ride there again. I did as you can see in the link provided. Drivers are HORRIBLE and the roads are HORRIBLE. 10 days and 800 miles on a KTM 640(? I forget) but it was by far the worst of my multi-continent rides so far....well, Cambodia comes close. bncry.gif

But you are a big boy, so beware my humble, but honest warnings. The roads have craters you can park a truck in which is why you have to watch out for the drivers who they themselves are trying to avoid, they wind up on your side of the road many times during a normal commute.

I was ran off the road no less than 3 times...once by a semi on the Pan Am Highway. No kidding, right off the road!!! And if it is not cars it is cattle, horses, goats, and an occasional howler monkey.

Beware the criminals as they lurk in many places just waiting to steal your goods when you least suspect. Do not expect the police to care, they are lazy and apathetic to say the least.

Also beware of the many, many speed traps on the highways. They are there a plenty my friend!!

The people in general are fantastic with a culture unlike the mexicans that people here confuse the C.R. people for...the C.R. people have a culture of their own.

If I were you I would see:

Arenal and Lake Arenal (one fine windsurfing lake!!)

Mal Pais (if you like surfing)

Tabacon

Manuel Antonio

Monte Verde (look for the Replendant Quetzal, rare, endangered and BEAUTIFUL)

Tortugero (during the nesting season)

Areanl Volcanic Park

Volcan Poas

Many of the eco tours in the area has the beloved ZIP LINES that will get the blood going!! The best one is to the north of Arenal...follow the signs.

Puntarenas

San Gerardo Del Dota

PM me if you want any more info....happy travels!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1926138463723510175

+1 on the potholes and bad roads. I did not rent a bike, but rather a 4x4 (which was needed to get out of the potholes grin.gif). They do jump out at you. You need to be constantly vigil. On one 60 mile stretch there were so many it was ridiculous. I've made better time on the trails around Moab.

I had no difficulties, other than that. Roads to the east were generally better than those in the mid and west part of the country. That being said, many in the country wondered why we traveled to the east at all. It is almost like two different countries in some ways, with the east less affluent.

Agent_Orange

I was in Jaco a while back and had no problems renting a bike. It was a 125 somethingorother. Had a ball going up into the rainforest and going about in general. thumbsup.gif

There were a lot of 4-wheelers also. dopeslap.gif

Thanks for the info folks!! thumbsup.gif My daughter has been there and agrees that it is a safe country. Kind of cool that they do not have a standing army using the monies for education etc instead.

That is quite a list of places to go and things to do, my daughter did not know all of them, thanks. Renting a bike to buzz off to the rain forest sounds cool, also riding around town etc.

Looks like I have an interesting trip comming up.

Thanks, Keith

Did a car trip there a few years ago and have friends that went a few months ago. Agree with what has been said but don't let it discourage you. It is worth it. Only piece of advise I can offer is get a GPS. Road signs are just about non-existant.

Have fun.

My experiences in a car:

+1 on horrible roads;

+1 on non-existent road signs (bought a great roadmap book beforehand, which saved our sanity);

+1 on police traps ... got stopped in a village at a roadblock, while all the locals drove past. fortunately, didn't get shaken down;

+1 on Arenal, which is a truly impressive volcano.

Also, Tamarindo is a great town on the Pacific coast.

Well, I'll just chime in with my 2¢.

As David, I've never ridden there, but I did live there for a few years and have been back. I got stopped in a "speed trap", but it was more of an inconvenience as a $20 bill later I was merrily on my way (although it was MUCH more expensive than being pulled over in the DR two weeks prior, but that's a different story).

The roads suck, and not just potholes. I've often stated that I think that all Central American countries make their roads ultra-windy (but not in a good way) just to make their countries seem bigger. I've often thought that a GS/KTM-esque bike would be ideal for the roads, but don't expect to get anywhere fast.

Sometimes the roads are just gone from the weather... And then you're forced to take somewhat of a sketchy detour. DAMHIK! (Limón to Puerto Viejo - Winter 2001.)

On that note though. Just plan on taking more time than you think it would take just by looking on a map.

It's a great country though. I know you didn't ask, but... I can't recommend the Hotel Bougainvillea enough as a great place to stay if in San José (assuming money IS an object.) Costa Verde is nice if you make it out to Manuel Antonio.

I don't know that I'd agree that the driving is "awful" in CR. It's just different and takes getting used to. To me, it's just like driving in any other Latin American country (except maybe Argentina, things are BIT more like the USA there).

And as long as you're smart about all your belongings, crime isn't a big issue. But if you're not, someone will be there to take advantage of you.

Thanks for the extra info.....wow lots to digest! The season she picks will dictate whether it is excusions via bike or car.

Thanks again, Keith

Archived