IGNORED

Need Some Music Suggestions

marcopolo

I received several gift cards for Christmas that I want to use to get some CDs. Do you have any suggestions, like "must haves", if you were buying some music today yourself? Just to give you an idea of my tastes (such as they are), I recently bought: Kill To Get Crimson (Mark Knopfler); Raising Sand (Robert Plant and Allison Krauss); Mothership (Led Zepplin); The Reminder (Feist); and, A Hard Day's Night (artist goes without saying).

Joe Frickin' Friday
Kill To Get Crimson (Mark Knopfler)

Haven't got that one yet, but I've got lots of his other stuff, and it's all good. I'd recommend Sailing to Philadelphia if you don't already have it.

+1 on the Pandora suggestion. Another option is to browse the "Music" forum at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/ . The site is primarily for headphone enthusiasts, but they are also music enthusiasts who have incredibly wide and diverse tastes! I've gotten some stellar recommendations on everything from classical to jazz to trance. thumbsup.gif

Well, my musical tastes are all over the map. But here are some of my "essentials"

Beatles - Revolver

Stones - Let It Bleed

Green Day - American Idiot

David Bowie - Aladin Sane

The Trews - Den of Thieves

Wolfmother - Wolfmother

Indigo Girls - Swamp Ophelia

Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams

Jet - Get Born

Kinks - Give The People What They Want

Tom Petty - Damn The Torpedoes

The Ramones - The Ramones (first album)

Michael Franti - Yell Fire!

Black Crowes - Southern Harmony and Musical Companion

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run

Buckcherry - 15

Gov't Mule - Dose

Led Zeppelin - II, III, IV, Physical Graffiti, etc.

Los Lobos - Colossal Head

Macy Gray - On How Life Is

Neil Young - Ragged Glory, Harvest

Phish - Junta, Hoist, Rift

Allman Brothers - Live At The Philmore, Idlewild South

Audioslave - Audioslave

Bauhaus - The Sky's Gone Out

Robert Earl Keen - Picnic

Kris Kristofferson - Jesus Was a Capricorn

Joni Mitchell - Blue, Court and Spark, Ladies of the Canyon

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - So Far

Ed Jurdi - Longshores Drive

Trout Fishing in America - Big Trouble, Truth is Stranger Than Fishin'

I'm sure there are more essentials, but these would be among my top choices (today anyhow)

Another option is to browse the "Music" forum at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/ .

[hijack]

I thought I was the only person in the world who frequents that site for those reasons! That site is going to cost me a lot of money soon. There's not a lot of people who appreciate the virtues of a dedicated tube headphone amplifier, but I guess motorcyclists who encase themselves in something like a helmet over long distances would be among them! High Def for the ears. thumbsup.gif

[/hijack]

My short classics list:

Weather Report - Heavy Weather

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

Billy Cobham - Spectrum

John McLaughlin - Live at the Royal Festival Hall (I was there)

Steely Dan - Aja

Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach/Live at the Fillmore East (noted above)

Jimi Hendrix -Pick your favorite

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Pick your favorite as long as Little Wing is on it

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Yes - The Yes Album

The Essential Bob Dylan

Eagles "Hell Freezes Over"

Simon & Garfunkle "Bookends"

Cat Stevens "Tea for the Tillerman"

America "Greatest Hits"

Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"

Franz Lizt "Les Preludes" (This is for riding across from Torrey to Boulder -- especially if the weather is "semi-grumpy.")

Brian Eno "Before and After Science"

The Clash "Sandinista!"

The Rolling Stones "Hot Rocks 1964-1971"

Lyle Lovett "Joshua Judges Ruth"

Neil Young/Crazy Horse "Rust Never Sleeps"

Neil Young "Decade"

The Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense"

Jeff Beck "Truth"

The Band "The Band"

CSNY "Deja Vu"

Deep Purple "Machine Head"

Dire Straits "Making Movies"

The list really does go on and on.

Scots rock/pop group "Texas", any album really; their first, "Southside", makes my short list.

Cassandra Wilson; again any album will do; try "New Moon Daughter".

Michael Martin Murphy's first two albums "Geronimo's Cadilac" and "Cosmic Cowboy" (if you can find them) are great country; "Crack up in Las Cruces" from Cosmic Cowboy is my personal favorite.

Wooster w/extreme prejudice

NPR's All Songs Considered did their listener's choice top 20 and critic's choice reviews recently. There are a couple of CDs that I think I will be picking up from these lists. The website lets you listen to songs off of each.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17144780

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16974916

The hardest thing for me is finding new music and the NPR show, along with Pandora has been helping out.

Thanks, that's a great list. I second Beirut and The National. Have to check out some of the others.

I heard The National a month or so ago, and I've snatched up all of their stuff. It's been a LONG time since a new find appealed to me so much. They've got a really great sound. Get "Boxer" and the "Cherry Tree" EP, and go on from there.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Nick (Deadboy) and others who posted in the Johnny Cash thread a month or two ago. I've had a great time rediscovering all his old stuff. Awesome.

From last year: Neko Case - "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood"

I'll bet that's good. I saw her on Austin City Limits a while back. Very good stuff!!

We have a lot of CDs, so getting it down was hard. This is my top 5%:

Alice in Chains – Unplugged

Allman Brothers – Eat a Peach

Darol Anger Mike Marshall – Chiaroscuro

B-52’ – Bouncing Off the Satellites

Jeff Beck – Wired

The Be Good Tanyas – Chinatown

Blind Faith (Self Titled)

Buena Vista Social Club (Self Titled)

John Butler Trio - Live at St. Gallen

Crosby Stills Nash and Young – Four Way Street

Cowboy Junkies – 200 more miles

Al Dimeola – This is Jazz 31

Dixie Chicks – Taking the Long Way

Dire Straits – Brother in Arms

Jerry Garcia / David Grisman (Self Titled -1999 Acoustic Disc, ACD-2)

Genesis – Selling England By the Pound

Grateful Dead – Ladies and Gentlemen the Grateful Dead Fillmore East New York City April 1971

Hot Tuna – Hot Tuna

Indigo Girls (Self Titled)

Jefferson Airplane – Live at the Fillmore East

Jack Johnson – On and On

Robert Earl Keen – Gringo Honeymoon

Live – Throwing Copper

Alanis Morrisette – MTV Unplugged

Nirvana – Unplugged in New York

Pink Floyd – but which album? Wish You Were Here

Rush – 2112

Rush – Hemispheres

Rusted Root – When I Woke

Santana – Live at the Fillmore ‘68

Michelle Shocked – Kind Hearted Woman

The Subdudes – Annunciation

Talking Heads – Stop Making Sense

Traffic – The Low Spark of the High Heeled Boys

Traffic – Welcome to the Canteen

U2 – Live Under a Blood Red Sky

The Who – Who’s Next

Lucinda Williams – World Without Tears

George Winston – December

Yes - Yessongs

Have a good time with your gift cards!

Jan

NPR's All Songs Considered did their listener's choice top 20 and critic's choice reviews recently. There are a couple of CDs that I think I will be picking up from these lists.

Thanks so much for posting this, Michael. I know I like a couple of the top 20's - Arcade Fire and Tegan and Sara - so I'll probably find a lot of other good music on the list. cool.gif

Myspace has re-kindled my faith in music. For many moons I've lost the ability to even walk into a music store. Due to this gizmo, I'm rediscovering an old love. These are artists and such I discovered this year. Not anything I was familiar with before.

These are not in order just as they occured to me. I was also trying for 10 but wound up with a magnificent seven.

Mike Farris. Amazing voice emanating from a small white guy. In person it's a cross between Sam Cooke, Mavis Staples and Terence Trent D'arby.

The music to the short film Apple Jack composed by Knoxville's very own Toby Dammit. (those are two distinct URL's folks. There are different noises on both.)

Doyle and Debbie. Pure Genius. Stop the song watch the video.

Valley Lodge. Like Cheap Trick? Beatles? Superdrag? (try 21st Century Man and Hey) Found it via a nutjob named Dave Hill who also plays a mean Ibanez Iceman in.....

Children of the Unicorn. Parody metal? I don't what the hell is it but it sure ROCKS!

Julie Lee. There's some sort of swing retro zeitgeist going these day. This is the best I've heard. (Try "Married Woman Blues" or "Winter")

Freeezebro's Glossary. The ODB turned me on to this. "Blood on the Knobs" and "Gasoline soaked Heart" are real close to home.

Here's some stuff I was familiar with or stumbled into in other ways.

This is Steve Earle's kid Justin Townes Earle. The "thing" is fully formed and has a life of it's own. I have a sneaking suspicion his paw will become known primarily as "Justin's Dad".

One of those guys that's a "musicians musician" The late great Eddie Hinton. His recordings were big back in the day on the tour buses and planes of folks like the Stones and Zeppelin.

I'll stop with a couple of friends.

The "staggering genius" behind Superdrag John Davis. This record brings the ROCK bigtime. (My favorite on this page is "Tell me I'm Not Free".)

Ex-pat Chattanoogan now living in Harlem Justin Thompson.

O yeh, I can't leave out my latest discovery.... CRAZY steel playing:

Kaki King. It ain't Gnashvilles approach.

You like BMWs. Ja?

Rammstein is ill. I love Du Hast and Ich Will. Have you heard the Rammstein/Depeche Mode song "Stripped"? I need translations though. Don't know German.

I heard a really positive review of The Magnetic Fields' Distortion today on NPR by a Rolling Stone reviewer. I haven't decided whether to buy the cd or just be impatient and get it off iTunes, but I'll do one or the other. It's different than most of the stuff I listen to, but not overly so and I like it after listening to the clips...

• 3 weeks later...

Very good choices. How's it Gonna Be is fantastic. Just downloaded the Fuel song myself. thumbsup.gif

How's it Gonna Be and Semi-Charmed Life are my fav 3rd Eye Blind songs. How's life in MN theses days? Cold probably. I'm from Michigan, miss the cold, crisp days this time of year. Snow is better than rain imho.

Archived