IGNORED

Mexico Feb 25

Urban Surfer

Urban Surfer

There is a small group of us planning a tour through the Baha Pennisula, then over to the main land.

We will be trailering the bikes to San Diego out of the frozen north. This trip will take two weeks beginning on feb 23. We will ride down to Cabo, and back up to La Paz where we will take the ferrie to Topolabampo, then to creel (copper canyon) north to Aqua Prieta, and crossing the border south of Yuma.

Any one interested, or any suggestions would be most welcome.

We have a resonably good map and plan. If every one comes who has show interest there will be 7 and a minimum of 4.

Bring warm and waterproof pants and jackets. Copper Canyon area is over 8K feet and can have snow at that time of year. Also, there a two small mountain passes to go over enroute to Auga Peitra that get a lot of snow also. Just because it is "south" doesn't mean it's warm in February.

Malcolm

Ditto on bringing warm gear and rain gear. A few places I would not miss is Bahia de los Angeles, San Ignacio (the actual town is about 2 miles or so off Hwy. 1, Mulege, and Loreto. I had to turn around at Loreto so I never made it to La Paz or Cabo. Not much to see at Cabo other than a bunch of hotels. Personally I would rather check out the whales 30 miles west of San Ignacio at Laguna San Ignacio. It is a dirt road to get out there. The whales are supposed to be thick as thieves in that bay and you will be there at the perfect time. My Baja ride 4 years ago is one of the best rides I have EVER been on. You will love it. The people are great and most of them speak English. Hotel rates are very low and the food is very good. A great combination eh? Have fun.

I would recommend you go by AAA and pickup a map for Baja California. Once you go south of El Rosario you are on a 2K foot plateau for 140 miles and the wind or rain can be pretty brutal up there. Trust me on this one. The view as you approach the Sea of Cortez at Bahia de los Angeles and Santa Rosalia is just breathtaking. Don't forget to buy gas whenever you can and don't be afraid to buy it out of a 1 gallon milk jug. Been there done that too. Gas is gas man.

One other item. You can get Garmin compatible map sets from Bicimapas (link: http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/English.htm ) I'ved used their Mexican Atlas a lot and it seems pretty good. I've also used their Copper Canyon Topos. Although I haven't used them, they have a lot of detailed maps of Baja. The ones I've used cannot "autoroute" but still very useful.

There is a small group of us planning a tour through the Baha Pennisula, then over to the main land.

We will be trailering the bikes to San Diego out of the frozen north. This trip will take two weeks beginning on feb 23. We will ride down to Cabo, and back up to La Paz where we will take the ferrie to Topolabampo, then to creel (copper canyon) north to Aqua Prieta, and crossing the border south of Yuma.

Any one interested, or any suggestions would be most welcome.

We have a resonably good map and plan. If every one comes who has show interest there will be 7 and a minimum of 4.

Arghhhh!!! Why did I go back to work??? I COULD have gone!!!! Next time! HAve a safe journey.

Please tell me if we can join in the mainland to the copper canion CAÑON DEL COBRE. I am from mexico city and i am very interested in the trip.

Also there is no conciern about the gas we made the trip to all baja with a harley with 3 gallon gas tank. Only if you intend to go over upaved roads you must carry extra gas, or buy it in jar buy the locals (low octane) if you wish a can give some advice about the ferry.

Dang, would have liked to come along, but no can do at this point. Sounds great, have a fantastic trip, ride those roads well, See some great sights, take lots of pics, post lots of ride tales when you get back!

thumbsup.gif

Urban Surfer
Please tell me if we can join in the mainland to the copper canion CAÑON DEL COBRE. I am from mexico city and i am very interested in the trip.

Also there is no conciern about the gas we made the trip to all baja with a harley with 3 gallon gas tank. Only if you intend to go over upaved roads you must carry extra gas, or buy it in jar buy the locals (low octane) if you wish a can give some advice about the ferry.

Check your PM

Hi Malcolm, I'm one of those guys that's sitting on the fence on this one. Only reason for that is I've been to Copper Canyon in March 2006 and March 2007 I was laying on the beaches south of Cancun.

This ride sounds like a blast and the company sounds great too. wave.gif

It looks like we may pass each other somewhere on Baja. I'll be heading North the week that you are heading South. I think we'll be starting back North from Cabo on or around the 25th. I'll be on a yellow 1150GS and my buddy'll be on a Buell Ulysses. Due to his bike, and my lack of dirt skills, we're going to be sticking to pavement and nice hard packed dirt roads. This rules out much of the Cortez coast but we may try the section between BoLA and San Ignacio.

Good luck, and I hope to run meet you in Baja!

Jonathan

When you get to San Ignacio let us know if you make it out to Laguna San Ignacio (Bay). I would love to know how many whales you see there. The dirt road to get out there is about 36 miles. I believe they have tents out there that you can rent as well as ponga's/boats to whale watch. Have a blast and ride safe.

Keith

Ok folks, thats eight riders confirmed, with two meeting us in Toplabampo.

We are going to cap it off at that, unless Joe and Dennis are comming?

Are you Listening (reading this )

The anticipation grows. cool.gif

Malcolm,

I think I'll have to sit on the side lines this time and wait for your ride report bncry.gif

I'll miss the company of you Cathy Tim and Holly. We had lots of fun in your neck of the the woods last summer.

Have fun and take lots of pics thumbsup.gif

Archived