IGNORED

John Day area photo thread

MikeRC

Just to entice those sitting on the fence, I wanted to start an area photo thread. I've been through twice (east-west) and am looking forward to "poking" around the area more. Note the reference to how fast I (don't) ride.

I was hoping to keep this thread to photos within 3 or 4 hours of John Day. Say Santium/MacKenzie Passes to the west, the Columbia River to the north, west Idaho to the east and Burns Junction to the south. I'm sure there will be other threads on "what to pass through" on your way there or back.

StrawberryMountain.jpg

Strawberry Mountain from an Oregon Trail historical pullout on US 26 near Prairie City, OR.

US26_JohnDayNM.jpg

US 26 just east of John Day Fossil Beds National Monument.

BlackPoint.jpg

Black Point on the Hell's Canyon Road about halfway between Oxbow and Hell's Canyon dams.

HellsCanyon_fr_BlackPoint.jpg

Hell's Canyon from Black Point.

Mike Cassidy

Steve:

The pictures are great, but could you add labels so we can tell where they are from?

I have spent some time looking over the pictures and maps at Oregon Motorcyclist and it looks like a good place to start planning rides around the area.

I was thinking that some board members who had been to the area have some photos. I know a number of people have been to Redmond (for the BMWMOA) and John Day previously.

Mike Cassidy

Paul Mihalka

Looking at maps and mileages it looks like John Day is so central that the major well known super-scenic areas are all a little bit far away. Hell's Canyon, Mt. Hood/Columbia river, McKenzie Pass, are all a 400+ mile round trip. For a leasurely ride with photo stops a 300 mile day is ideal. I'm sure the local route experts will come up with some great day rides.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I'm sure the local route experts will come up with some great day rides.
Don't you worry yer little head about this one Paul. We got you covered. thumbsup.gif
For a leasurely ride with photo stops a 300 mile day is ideal. I'm sure the local route experts will come up with some great day rides.

You're right about the MAJOR Oregon scenic icons. But just think how much fun it's going to be just getting to John Day! The roads are the attraction around John Day but the scenery isn't too shabby either.

Check this out.

Excellent post Mike and especially for attaching the pics. Just dangling that carrot or hook out there aren't you? This is EXACTLY what I needed to get me really interested in riding up to this event. Thank you.

Hi Paul!

Hell's Canyon Dam is 173 mi from John Day, and you really only have to slow down through Baker City (for about 10 blocks) and Oxbow (for about 2 blocks). I remember OR 7 from the US 26 junction to Baker City as being a really nice ride, as was the Hell's Canyon road.

Other loops up to Enterprise may be stretching the days too much, so I was hoping for more photos closer to John Day.

Mike Cassidy

skinny_tom (aka boney)

For the GS riders:

discovery+075.jpg

Malheur Ford

DiscoveryTrail028.jpg

North Fork of the Malheur River

DiscoveryTrail041-1.jpg

discovery+079.jpg

DiscoveryTrail046-1.jpg

Along the John Day River somewhere

DiscoveryTrail011-1.jpg

Excellent thread!

For Jackie and me, John Day is the yearly motorcycling weekend to the Chief Joseph Rally. We're going to skip that one this year, and visit in July for the UN! Here are some of my favourite spots from the last 3 years (note to self: take more photos next time):

IMG_1521.JPG

Jackie taking the switchbacks on highway 97 just south of Shaniko.

IMG_1527.JPG

This one is near Clarno, highway 218

IMG_1528.JPG

This is again Highway 218, just a bit further east.

IMG_1540.JPG

Highway 395, between John Day and Burns.

IMG_1555.JPG

Highway 207, north of Mitchell.

IMG_2237.JPG

I think this is highway 207 again. Jackie is in there too.

IMG_2243.JPG

Rest-area near Austin (east of John Day).

And here's a map of the 6 photos (number 1 through 6). John Day is a bit to the right of the center. Sorry for the bad map, it was a quick cut-and-paste job.

map_john_day.jpg

I'm looking forward to it!!!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

edit: it looks my poor little server has some problems hosting the photos frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

too bad you all have hang out in such plain, nondescript, out of the way, fugly, barren, featureless part of the country.

lucky bastaaahds wave.gif

• 1 month later...

Archived