IGNORED

Austin UN Tech Day Saturday January 5

Limecreek

I am off next Saturday and will open my garage to anyone needing service help, including changing tires.

This will not be a full blown tech day. Work will be limited to the need of the group. And it will be first come first serve.

I can crank things up at 8:00 and I'll go as long as we have work. You are responsible for your own parts and supplies.

Sign up here and PM me for directions. I promise I will not cancel this one. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the invite Greg, but I can't be there. Shucks, maybe next time. Where the heck is Austin anyways?

(j/k, I was recently contacted by a hiring manager for a large corporation in Austin, but it's not where I can live, currently)

Currently I'm sitting in snowy Wisconsin, but I'll be home on the 2nd. I might take a ride up your direction. I don't need anything, but I'd be willing to help out.

(j/k, I was recently contacted by a hiring manager for a large corporation in Austin, but it's not where I can live, currently)

You'd like Austin very much. There are quite a few Californians living here and working in the Tech sector.

I may actually be leaving the area in the near term and will miss living here very much.

Rocket_Cowboy

Greg ... I don't have any work currently needing doing, but will try to make it down just to lend a hand and meet more of the texas guys. Austin is close enough for a day trip.

It will be good to see you Charlie.

I'll have a set of the RTP brackets for you to look at while you are here. I'm going forward with plans to make copies and if the cost is reasonable will sell them for much less than the BMW bracket.

As of today we have one bike needing service for brake fluid change and final drive fluid change.

I may also demo changing the clutch fluid on my bike. This will be my first time changing the fluid on the new generation RTs.

I'm not very experienced at a lot of the things that appear to be necessary, such as changing out the brake fluids, so I guess my first question is, Greg, is your deal this weekend appropriate for a neophyte needing a 12k service?

My other questions have to do with what the heck is really needed for my RT at 12,000 miles. I have printouts of the BMW Motorrad maintenance schedules, and I'm confused.

1. It appears every 6k miles the oil should be changed, valves adjusted, and a bunch of minor checks done.

2. Then there's the annual, which adds gearbox oil change, complete brake fluid change, and more minor checks.

3. But then there's the "BMW Service with Annual Inspection (initially at 10,000 km, then every 20,000 km, annually), which is essentially the same list as the annual, with a bunch more checks.

But then there seems to be a disconnect, as every 10k km one is to change gearbox oil, except when one does the list on number 3 above, which calls for the change at 10k km, then every 20k km thereafter. ?????

Finally, how do we dispose of all these fluids?

Mark, I'll dispose of the fluid. It sounds like you are ready for just about everything--valves, sync, oil, gearbox, final drive and brakes. You'll need 4.2 quarts of oil and 2 quarts of GL-5 gear oil.

If you want to do brakes on Saturday, arrive with your gas tank near empty. You'll need 2 pints of DOT 4 brake fluid.

Make sure to ask for crush washers when you pick up your supplies.

I'll have a 12K service sheet for you, so you can check it off as you go and take it with you for your documentation.

Hello,

I wish I could come and learn a few things but I'm afraid the significant other has made plans for me this weekend ! Let me know next time I really would love to learn a few basic skills!

Randy

Rocket_Cowboy
man, I wish I could join you but I'll be moving our datacenter from point A to point B this weekend.

I've done enough datacenter moves, I can relate. Sounds like you'll definitely be up for (needing) a ride after next weekend.

Mark, I'll dispose of the fluid. It sounds like you are ready for just about everything--valves, sync, oil, gearbox, final drive and brakes. You'll need 4.2 quarts of oil and 2 quarts of GL-5 gear oil.

If you want to do brakes on Saturday, arrive with your gas tank near empty. You'll need 2 pints of DOT 4 brake fluid.

Make sure to ask for crush washers when you pick up your supplies.

I'll have a 12K service sheet for you, so you can check it off as you go and take it with you for your documentation.

Okay, I'm in, will bring supplies, sledge, and other tools I have, but let's make sure you're clear, Greg: me, personally, I dunno NUFFINK. If this means it's too much for this particular event, please say so.

Mark, it will be entirely up to you. I can walk you through how to do something, but you will do the actual work on your bike, so if you fear it is too much, pick the procedure you'd like to learn and we will concentrate on that one.

Mark, it will be entirely up to you. I can walk you through how to do something, but you will do the actual work on your bike, so if you fear it is too much, pick the procedure you'd like to learn and we will concentrate on that one.

I guess I should have asked, "Will there be enough time for me to accomplish the entire list, given given my inexperience?" [i'm not quite the mechanical dunce I make myself out to be]

Killer and I are tryin to fit Austin into our busy schedule.

I don't need anything, and please stay away from my bikes. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

.....unless you want to ride em.

Whip

Rocket_Cowboy
I don't need anything, and please stay away from my bikes. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

.....unless you want to ride em.

Can I pre-order 2 hours of Tuono ride time please? :D

Greg ... I don't have any work currently needing doing, but will try to make it down just to lend a hand and meet more of the texas guys. Austin is close enough for a day trip.

I'm in the same position. You know where you're going? If I can convince Mike it is a good idea you mind a couple of tag alongs? I'm still 900 miles away from my next service. I need to crank through those before I head out to the MTF SMR so I can get the bike serviced before I go. This trip would put a little dent in those. smile.gif I would like to learn how to do my own so when my warranty is over I can take it over.

You'd like Austin very much. There are quite a few Californians living here and working in the Tech sector.

I may actually be leaving the area in the near term and will miss living here very much.

Austin kicks ass. Can't put my finger on it, but I love the place.

As of today, we have two bikes for service and about 6 other folks coming down to observe, hangout and drink coffee.

The forecast is partly sunny and 73. thumbsup.gif

ericfoerster

I'd love to ride down this weekend but I've got tee times Sat and Sun.

The weather should be great for post tech day rides thumbsup.gif

markgoodrich

I offered to bring donuts, but Greg said he's watching his waistline. What about us guys who can't find ours?

If anyone wants to see it, I can bring a Sargent tank bag I'm going to return, as it's the same size as my current bag. They've knocked the price down from $180 to $95.

Greg,

You know I'd love to come...I have an alt. belt I'd like to change and get someone to show me how to work this zumo doo dad I just bought but I have to work a funeral on Sat...I'll be thinking of you guys...Have fun.. thumbsup.gif

I'd love to ride down this weekend but I've got tee times Sat and Sun.

The weather should be great for post tech day rides thumbsup.gif

Bring your clubs....I'll take ya out.

Whip

Greg...new to the area. Moved to Houston in August..Haven't met any local BMW folks yet. Bike is just serviced but might like to ride down and meet folks. 2005 R1150RT. Please send info.

Yeeha! Stephen

Looks like I'm "in" for this one.

Don't need anything done, but I'm gonna show up and visit, help, or get in the way... I haven't decided which yet grin.gif

See ya' when I get there.

markgoodrich

Many thanks not just to Greg, but to his lovely wife Sandy for letting us take up the family's Saturday. I could never have done a tenth of the stuff we did today without the able and friendly assistance of Greg, Bob, Edd, et al.

Be sure to vote HERE

for the most appropriate renaming of yours truly.

Got back home at 10:30. Smooth ride all the way.

Thanks Greg and Sandy for offering your lovely home and your time.

I enjoyed meeting everyone. Communicating through the board is great, but it sure can't compare to getting together. I'll check my pictures in the morning and post a few.

Here are a few more pictures from the day's activities. Please excuse the the less-than-perfect photo quality.

standard.jpg

Mark, Dawn, and Greg are working on Mark's brakes. This is before we took a break, but it was after the bolt had broken.

standard.jpg

Here is Bob's bike, and though you probably can't tell (or least I hope you can't tell eek.gif) that is Bob in the picture. Sorry, Bob. This was the only shot from this angle that wasn't washed out by the sunlight. Herman's immaculate RT is the one in the background.

standard.jpg

Here is a little more flattering picture of Bob (Buckster).

standard.jpg

Herman was there to learn about servicing his brakes and his "lifetime" final drive.

standard.jpg

Dawn rode down from Dallas on her R1200RT. Notice her custom footwear near the rear tire.

standard.jpg

Here is Dawn's clever solution to being sure she can flat-foot her bike. She told us that lowered shocks are in the plans.

standard.jpg

Herman's RT looks like it has been to the chop shop. Mark was wondering if Herman would notice if one of his caliper bolts were to mysteriously disappear.

standard.jpg

Herman's "lifetime FD" has reached it reached it's lifetime. That was fast, only 7,000 miles. eek.gif

standard.jpg

Later in the afternoon we were honored with a vist from Killer and Whip. Whip avoided the hoards of paparazzi, but Killer strikes a pose astride the Touno.

Zog say "Tuono Fun".

Good to see everybody, Whip was pretty sneaky riding the Tuono on the way there, on the way home it was too dark and deery to have any real fun.

Zog say "Tuono Fun".

Good to see everybody, Whip was pretty sneaky riding the Tuono on the way there, on the way home it was too dark and deery to have any real fun.

Gee, I wonder if that was planned?? confused.gif

Sounds like a great & productive time had by all.

I am sorry I missed it! I'm sure I could have gotten in the way somewhat.... or perhaps even maybe attempted a throttle body synch. Oh well, there's always the next time.

Even though I missed this one... Thanks Greg for once again sharing your knowledge, tools and garage!

ps. is it too early to start talking about the '08 hill country ride?

ps. is it too early to start talking about the '08 hill country ride?

Last year was my last year as organizer--I'm retired. grin.gif

Someone else will need to step forward and take it over. Perhaps someone from the Dallas crew? hint hint wave.gif

Archived