IGNORED

Kilt Poll...Yes I said Kilt.

1100RTGuy

I own and wear a kilt?  

366 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dave McReynolds

When my son got married, the bride's family wanted both the bride's father and me to wear kilts. In an argument I didn't even know happened, my son said no way was I going to wear a kilt, so I showed up in the standard rent-a-tux, while the bride's father showed up in a kilt. I thought he looked kind of cool, with the little dagger and everything. His family background is more pure Scotch, where mine is more of a ba$tardized Scotch-Irish; I think we were kicked out of Scotland because we were too hard to get along with.

I really wouldn't have minded wearing the kilt, if I had been asked. I assume it was more that my son didn't want me to wear one. It must have quite an issue for him, because my observation has been that he pretty much dances to her tune on other things.

Anyway, the wedding was fun, the marriage seems to be working out, and I have a year-old grandaughter now, so things seem to have worked out okay without the kilt.

I really don't know anything about it.......

You better ask the expert.

222682006-L.jpg

See you at the airport in 3 days!!! You won't be able to miss me!! I'll be wearing the above kilt!! eek.giflmao.gifeek.giflmao.gif

Paybacks!!! wave.gif

See you at the airport in 3 days!!! You won't be able to miss me!! I'll be wearing the above kilt!! eek.giflmao.gifeek.giflmao.gif

Paybacks!!! wave.gif

the horrors.....

I really don't know anything about it.......

You better ask the expert.

222682006-L.jpg

Okay Whip...Tam and I are out...Didn't know it was gonna be THAT kind of party... eek.gif

Being a Firefighter in the U.S. whose tradition includes many from the Irish immigrants who took those dangerous, low paying jobs that no one else wanted to do. You will frequently see a pipe and drum band at a Firefighter's funeral playing Amazing Grace and most often dressed in traditional kilts with all the accoutrement (sporrans, daggers, belt, buckle, etc.). (here's an interesting link)

I'm pretty much a Heinz 57 mutt, but I do know of some Welsh/Irish/Norwegian heritage. I sometimes wish I had a more traceable heritage or a family tartan and I would love to wear one as an alternative of my "Class A" Uniform (dress blues for formal occasions). I have seen and heard the pipes played at Fire funerals and other functions and it is indeed very moving. I find that the kilt-clad pipers and drummers look noble and dignified (my captain learned to play the pipes in San Diego's Emerald Society and it is an incredibly difficult instrument to master! eek.gif ). Watching the ceremonies surrounding the establishment of the Scottish Parliament, I also thought it looked awesome . . . and Leslie would have the serious screaming warmies for Sean Connery if he weren't such a misogynist. tongue.gif

385px-ConneryKilt.jpg

It might be one of those things that if you don't have it in your cultural/professional heritage you never quite see the point clearly. JMHO.

Good on ya, anyway! wave.gif

Jamie,

While I find your infliction of Mr. Connery into this discussion interesting; you can't possibly be comparing this image:

385px-ConneryKilt.jpg

with this one confused.gif

222682006-L.jpg

the first will have the women flocking to him; the second...not so much lmao.giflmao.gif

Steve

After having completed your poll I decided to elaborate. My wife just completed her geneology and found that she is a direct line to Robert the Bruce (Robert De Brus). Now that I'm married to this royal Scottish lineage, I better learn how to suit up for a kilt.

Bruce

I'm so glad I saw this poll. Tomorrow's festivities involve dressing up as formally as possible, bicycle riding in a small space, and alcohol. I wasn't sure what I was going to wear, but a kilt is perfect bicycling attire - with bike shorts underneath, anyway. Only question that remains is whether I can track down a tomorrow. I'm in LA, so my guess is yes.

--sam

I'm so glad I saw this poll. Tomorrow's festivities involve dressing up as formally as possible, bicycle riding in a small space, and alcohol. I wasn't sure what I was going to wear, but a kilt is perfect bicycling attire - with bike shorts underneath, anyway. Only question that remains is whether I can track down a tomorrow. I'm in LA, so my guess is yes.

--sam

dopeslap.gif

Go ahead ..... show up at the 7-11 wearing it. You'll surely take the heat off me and my "Happy" leathers.lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I dress in drag once a year at a local function, along with some other "men", as an anual charity fund raiser (no I won't be posting pictures here). For me a kilt would be a manly step up. grin.gif

and Leslie would have the serious screaming warmies for Sean Connery if he weren't such a misogynist. tongue.gif

Most all the women I have ever met while wearing my kilt have thought it was dead sexy...and nearly every man I have ever met while wearing a kilt had to make some comment about my sexual orientation. There is a message there I would think. lmao.gif

It is a "clan" thing, if I have to explain you wouldn't understand anyway. grin.gif

I ordered my Kilt in June and it arrived about 3 weeks ago. My debut will be at our local Robert Burns nite celebration. I am soooo looking forward to donning the kilt for a variety of events.

If you do make the decision to go for it, make sure you do proper research first. A good place to start is on the internet where I am certain you will find a web site for your particular Clan. You may have more than one choice of plaid and it's extremely important to get the right one. Then there is the matter of how to wear it and what sort of accessories' you'll be needing.

I started with a book titled "So Your Going To Wear The Kilt" by J. Charles Thompson, visiting my Clan Campbell web pages, and attending several highland games.

I say go for it!

You need to do some more research prior to donning your kilt on your motorless bike. Proper wearing of the plaid does not include under garments! smile.gif

Being of the female persuasion, this was fun to fill out. If a girl is wearing a short, plaid skirt, is it still a kilt?

And yes, I always protect my image. That's why I'm ATGATT... except when I'm wearing... oh, who am I kidding. That skirt is from 25 years ago when I played in a fife and drum corps and there's no way I'm getting me spreading backside into it any more.

Cheers boys,

Kirsten

You need to do some more research prior to donning your kilt on your motorless bike. Proper wearing of the plaid does not include under garments! smile.gif
Only true if you are in a military kilt. The cloth and the pattern is called tartan. Plaid is the name of a tartan cloth worn over the shoulder.

If a girl is wearing a short, plaid skirt, is it still a kilt?
If it is pleated at the back and has a flat apron on the front, then yes.

Excellent forum for kilt wearers: X Marks the Scot.

Me in a rented Stewart Hunting tartan kilt:

formalrmc.jpg

My own casual Stewart Navy kilt:

withhugh.jpg

Showing off the pleats:

swing.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just joined the San Diego Firefighters Emerald Society Pipe and Drum Band last week (I played concert snare for a year once in Jr. High School and at one time actually knew a paradiddle from a flamacue) and I ordered my kilt, too! Someday soon I hope I'll be playing with the band at official functions, but I'll at least be representing the Coronado Firefighters marching behind our fully restored antique 1939 Mack Fire Engine in the St. Patrick's Day Parade in San Diego this March! cool.gif

I just joined the San Diego Firefighters Emerald Society Pipe and Drum Band last week (I played concert snare for a year once in Jr. High School and at one time actually knew a paradiddle from a flamacue) and I ordered my kilt, too! Someday soon I hope I'll be playing with the band at official functions, but I'll at least be representing the Coronado Firefighters marching behind our fully restored antique 1939 Mack Fire Engine in the St. Patrick's Day Parade in San Diego this March! cool.gif

A true photo op. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

themed_kilt_blwup.jpg

A true photo op. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Well, if you're wearing yours from Whips' post above . . . nothing personal, but I'm not so sure I want to be in that shot. tongue.giflmao.gif

And quoting exwingnut:

Most all the women I have ever met while wearing my kilt have thought it was dead sexy...and nearly every man I have ever met while wearing a kilt had to make some comment about my sexual orientation. There is a message there I would think. lmao.gif

Leslie says she can't wait for my kilt to arrive! grin.gif

Maybe I'll pick up a Utilikilt to wear to your TechDaze in April . . . that is if you think it might still happen! dopeslap.gif

(p.s. I signed up for vacation on April 18th the other day and I start four days off on the 19th! thumbsup.gif )

Maybe I'll pick up a Utilikilt to wear to your TechDaze in April . . . that is if you think it might still happen! dopeslap.gif

(p.s. I signed up for vacation on April 18th the other day and I start four days off on the 19th! thumbsup.gif )

Hijack/

Oh, it's on like Donkey Kong!!

I am sitting here at work looking up the kart racing for Friday night. Saturday is locked in for the 1st Aid class and Sunday is locked in for the Tech Daze. Working the minor details for Sat/Sun. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

End hijack/

You wear your kilt and I'll wear mine!! Ahhhh, a tech daze to remember!! Good example to use concerning ATGATT as well. thumbsup.giftongue.gifcrazy.gif

I checked my geneology and it seems my great-aunt Frummeh was a direct descendant of Sir Haimish the Yid, who sold travel insurance to the clans just before Bannockburn and Glencoe.

They ARE considered very sexy by the ladies. The one time I wore a kilt a striking young woman approached me and asked in a sultry voice, "Are those your legs or are you riding a chicken?"

I see different engines in the background...was that a competition?

Unfortunately that was for the funeral for Steven Rucker who was a firefighter for Novato Fire Department and one of the many fatalities from the Cedar Fire , which was the previous "100-years Fire" in 2003 before these last "100-years Fires" (including the Witch Creek Fire and the Harris Fire) our county just suffered through just a few months ago. frown.gif

The Fire Agencies in San Diego County have finally had enough of this tragedy and all of us are now coming together and forming a County Council of Firefighters to see if we can work on solving our Fire Protection issues down here in San Diego County. I was just appointed the Secretary pro tempore for this group as we get off the ground and I'm hopeful that we can fix our Fire Protection problem so that we never have to have a memorial for another Firefighter who has died trying to protect lives and property in San Diego County ever again! bncry.gif

I actually just joined the San Diego Emerald Society and ordered my own kilt as well as the rest of the uniform so that I can at least march behind Coronado's refurbished antique 1939 Mack Fire Engine in the Saint Patrick's Day Parade here in San Diego next March 15th! San Diego supposedly has the third largest St. Patrick's Day Parade in the U.S. . . . sounds like a good excuse for an "In Search of . . . Ride" to me!! thumbsup.gif

I worked for a guy that mangled phrases. If you stuck someone with a knife it was "Up to the Kilt" frown.gif

Then it was "Whatever floats your skirt" frown.gif

Regardless, I'm man enough to wear one. lmao.gif

Being of the female persuasion, this was fun to fill out. If a girl is wearing a short, plaid skirt, is it still a kilt?

And yes, I always protect my image. That's why I'm ATGATT... except when I'm wearing... oh, who am I kidding. That skirt is from 25 years ago when I played in a fife and drum corps and there's no way I'm getting me spreading backside into it any more.

Cheers boys,

Kirsten

This is the funniest post of the whole thread. lmao.gif

thumbsup.gif HI Kirsten wave.gif

• 1 month later...
266631059_Ektor-L.jpg

I don't know what I was looking at, but at least I'm in step! lmao.gif

Could'na keep your eyes offen your sporan, could ya laddie?

They ARE considered very sexy by the ladies. The one time I wore a kilt a striking young woman approached me and asked in a sultry voice, "Are those your legs or are you riding a chicken?"

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Archived