IGNORED

Things to See in Southern AZ

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

Attention all you southwest riders...

If you had 3-5 days to meander around southern Arizona, where would you go? What roads would you visit? Fun restaurants? Things to see??

Yuma? Bisbee? Tombstone? Patagonia? Kitt Observatory??

Any suggestions would really be welcome!

Cheers,

Steve n So Cal

Kitt Peak is pretty cool, and they have a night tour thats awesome, but it gets COLD up there! Saguaro National Forest is pretty cool as is Bisbee, but at 5000+ ft it can get cold there too. Go on the copper mine tour if you go to Bisbee. Riding is much better in the mountains so consider riding East...

Two words of advice for you adventurous types:

>>>"Kartchner Caverns!"<<<

Just spectacular; even worthy of a repeat visit. They offer advanced ticket sales (online, if you prefer), but I seem to recall that they also reserve a few spots on each "tour" (yes, you get a guided tour) for walk-ups. This is a world-class cave site. The entire experience is extremely educational, mystifying, and - surprisingly - not necessarily a problem for anyone prone to claustrophobia! dopeslap.gif

There is a serious downside to visiting, however... as in, "seriously expensive!":o eek.gifblush.gif Get ready for some sticker shock.

But I still maintain it is totally worth it. cool.gif I'll be back!

Be sure and take the ride up to the top of Mt Lemon outside of Tucson the view and road is wonderful! If in Bisbee be sure and stay at the Copper Queen Hotel (haunted), dinner at Roc's ( may need res.). If in Tucson on a Sunday with significant other brunch at Hacienda Del Sol the ride up to Mt Lemon.

There are so many great rides in AZ it's hard to know where to start!

Randy

AdventurePoser

Thanks, everyone! We also plan on riding thru Ajo and down to Organ Pipe Nat'l Monument. We'll ride east from there on 86 to Kitt Peak, and take 286 at Three Points to Arivaca.

Does anyone know if the road from Arivaca past Oro Blanco and Ruby is paved? It is listed as a scenic route AZ 289, and comes out just north of Nogales....

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Thanks, everyone! We also plan on riding thru Ajo and down to Organ Pipe Nat'l Monument. We'll ride east from there on 86 to Kitt Peak, and take 286 at Three Points to Arivaca.

Does anyone know if the road from Arivaca past Oro Blanco and Ruby is paved? It is listed as a scenic route AZ 289, and comes out just north of Nogales....

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Hmmmmm....now you have me stumped on that q!!!! PM Twisties...he was here last week. See what he did on his ride!!

So far everyone has failed to mention the best thing Tucson has to offer... besides the road up to Mt Lemmon (fantastic ride of course)... and that would be the Pima Air Museum on the south side of Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. It's on the Valencia Road exit off I-10. They've got some seriously cool aircraft on display. My favorite is the AP-2H Neptune, BuNo 135620, the same airframe which my dad flew a few times back in his Navy days. The B-58 Hustler ranks right up there on my list as well.

But then again, I am somewhat of an airplane geek!

So far everyone has failed to mention the best thing Tucson has to offer... besides the road up to Mt Lemmon (fantastic ride of course)... and that would be the Pima Air Museum on the south side of Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. It's on the Valencia Road exit off I-10. They've got some seriously cool aircraft on display. My favorite is the AP-2H Neptune, BuNo 135620, the same airframe which my dad flew a few times back in his Navy days. The B-58 Hustler ranks right up there on my list as well.

But then again, I am somewhat of an airplane geek!

Jim, I've been to "Palm Springs Air Museum" Once with my wife, and thought it was a nice collection of WW2 airplanes.

Steve;

I would leave Yuma off the list. Sorry to anyone out there from Yuma, but . . . Oh well. You've gotten some good ideas here. Having lived there for three years (my house is still there, can you drive by and check on it?) my advice for must see places is:

Kartchner Caverns. It is one of the worlds top five living caverns and the only one in the top five open to the public. Like Tool said, visit their website and you can buy tickets in advance if you want.

Kitt Peak. They have daily tours of different observatories. You can go online and see which ones at which times. ie. Lunar vs. Solar observatory.

Chiricahua National Monument. Really beautiful views.

Of course there's Tombstone for the tourist thing. Be sure and go to Big Nose Kate's in the middle of town. Other's have given you some good places in Tucson, be sure to hit Old Tucson and Saguaro Nat. Park. (It is in two locations - east and west).

Have a great trip and let me know how my house is doing. Bob

Yuma does have the old territorial prison. Thought it was pretty interesting and doesn't take too much time to go through.

Just outside of Tucson is the retired Titan missle silo. Didn't get to go there on our trip but have heard it's quite interesting along with the Pima air museum.

Howdy Steve,

Coming into Arivaca from the west, there are a few low places where you can expect sand on the road in the curves. Not bad, just be aware. The road south from Arivaca is paved for ~2-3 miles. You then encounter a large "PRIMITIVE ROAD" sign. Primitive is debatable, but it's certainly a GS road. Haven't tried taking my RT down it. The road east from Arivaca is paved, twisty, scenic and ends up at Amado and I-19. Personally, I like the food at the Cow Palace (immediately on right at stop sign in Amado). Frontage road continues most, if not all, the way south from there down to Ruby Road. On the way I'd stop at Tubac (arts, crafts, etc.) and at Tumacacori Mission.

If you continue into Nogales, instead of bypassing it on Ruby, you can park your bike and walk over into Mexico, if you like the border-tourist scene. If not, Ruby Rd. connects to 82 which leads on to Patagonia and Sonoita (nice). From Sonoita, 83 North is also a nice ride. You can also take a slight side excursion from Sonoita to Elgin.

Other folks have hit on a lot of highlights: Mt. Lemmon, Saguaro National Monument, Old Tucson (though I'd skip this), Desert Museum (must see), Kartchner Caverns, Tombstone/Bisbee, Kitt Peak...

There are a number of other rides out of here, from easy to fairly advanced.

'Case you hadn't figured, Ahm frum 'round heer. wink.gif

Drop me an e-mail if you want. I'd be happy to help with whatever I can.

AZ 289 shows as unpaved on the atlas Sharon just bought. We weren't over there. In fact I'm quite sure that we missed much more of AZ than we saw.

Our ride tale covers the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum that Leslie mentioned above. I highly recommend it if you are willing to give it most of a day. Admission is $12 for an adult, a steal. We spent half a day, saw about half, and loved every minute.

We also covered Organ Pipe NM and Ajo. Fantastic if you are willing to ride dirt. The road is not bad, partially paved even, but I did split my tire, so I would go slower than me. I was going about 30 mph in the relatively easy parts. If you keep it to 20, should be fine, and make sure you are unloaded. Either come and return to a hotel in Ajo, or drop your gear in the campground. Services are at Ajo, food and gas only in Why and Lukeville. The park has some great hikes, and is scenic. We loved it.

The ride tales are on the current active view, you should have no trouble finding them.

When are you going? They say the desert will have great bloom this year, if you can take the heat at that season.

Jan

Archived