IGNORED

Ohio River to Baton Rouge - need help with route

BucksTherapy

We are planning a trip from eastern Canada to the meeting of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers. We will then travel down the Mississippin to Baton Rouge. At that point we will turn east to Deals Gap, up the Blue Ridge and back home.

We would like to experience as much river road and ferry rides as possible along the Mississippi. I am surprised to find there is a lot of info on tourism in the area but not about roads that keep you near the river or about ferries below Illinois.

Can anyone help? If anyone has an interesting route programmed into their GPS pls send it along. bcbuch@nbnet.nb.ca

Thanks!

Bob:

Peter Egan has written at least three articles on his Mississippi River trips - two on motorcycle and one in an old Cadillac. See if you can find a copy of "Leanings" and "Leanings 2". He builds the trip around his passion for blues music, but you may find some info you want there.

Mike Cassidy

Sounds like a great trip.

If you have not seen it, you might want to look into Alton Brown's TV program called Feasting on Asphalt Two... (Food Network) he documented the riding and eating along the route you mention but from South to North.

There may be a web site with the roads highlighted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_crossings_of_the_Lower_Mississippi_River

This link will help you with the crossing sites along the river. There are many interesting sites to visit along the lower river also. Roads are not always within sight of the river and the farther south you go the larger the marsh lands and as a result the farther away the roads are from the river.

Hope you have a great trip.

BucksTherapy

I noticed on my GPS that there are a number of roads called levee roads that appear to run on top of levees. Can anyone tell me if these are normally paved or unpaved?

• 5 weeks later...

im sittin' here @ 40 miles from both rivers and 40 from the meetup. unless you really want to see the area i'd go straight through the middle of beautiful missouri and arkansas down to ole miss. guess i've been here a little too long. sounds fun, enjoy.

Archived