IGNORED

Myrtle Beach Area

peb

I've been there several times but I'm not a native so I can only say what I know. I've not had much luck finding good riding around the area. I suspect some locals will have ideas (and probably disagree with my assessment). I have done the ride down to Charleston several times (US 17) and it's pretty nice. There's a national/state forest on the way and the terrain varies a little. Hopefully you'll hear from some SC coastal natives on this though.

A very dull riding area as far as riding goes. The only local I know down there is a cruiser--bar hopper rider. There are a lot of sights up and down the coast to see and, of course, it is the miniature golf capital of the world. Only suggestion I can make off the top of my head is to plan a ride to Calabash for supper. Good seafood and lots of it.

Peb

Sorry but you at the wrong end of the state. Go west for the best riding of course. Pretty much what you have in the Myrtle Beach area is Hwy. 17 with restaurants and hotels on both sides of the road or you could take some secondary roads out into the country in that area. Another option is to go south on Hwy. 17 and see some plantations. Your best option, if you have the time, is to ride 120 miles north to Beaufort, N.C. and continue north to the Outer Banks.

I enjoyed riding around the Francis Marion National Forest which is about 50 miles south of Myrtle Beach on US-17, but it is filled with loose gravel and dirt roads, and I was on a GS. The first time I was in the area I was on my RT and ventured down one of the roads out of pure curiosity (it looked interesting on the GPS) and found myself slipping and sliding around everywhere and feared a tip over that would result in lots of broken plastic on the RT. It's probably what helped nudge me down the GS path, which is, of course, a path of no return! grin.gif

I think Myrtle Beach made the top 10 list of worst motorcycle roads in America. dopeslap.gif

Seriously, the area is just unimpressive from a motorcycle rider’s standpoint. There are things to see and do but you will never remember them as a good bike ride.

Think about leaving the bike at home and taking the golf clubs instead.

Thanks for the responses. I was afraid of some boring roads. However, even a boring motorcycle road is better then a day in the cage.

Merry Christmas thumbsup.gif

others have pegged it...pretty dull ride-wise. but if you want to do a little sight-seeing, Hwy 17 south toward Charleston will give you Pawley's Island...some good browsing/shopping there. Georgetown has some good eats downtown.

I'm in Charleston. Only "mountains"= bridge over harbor. Only good curves= interstate exits...

Coming down from MB, come into McClulinvile[sp] and take a right on Hwy 45. Nice road. You'll come to a horse stable on the left and just past that take a left on Half Way Creek Road. This will take you through the middle of the Francis Marion Forest. Many of the dirt side roads and nice to take if you have a GS type bike.

If not, I'd go on up Hwy 45 to Jamestowne. Watch the cops in Jamestowne. You can then plot your way cross country back home.

Hwy 17 is a boar to me.

We try to get to the western NC mountains 4-6 times a year. Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground near Cruso, NC. Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge near Stecoah, NC. And there's a motorcycle motel in Robinsville, NC.

Wonderful riding... Deals Gap, Cherohala Parkway, hwy 276, and Blue Ridge Parkway. etc etc etc . It's about 4.5 hours from Charleston.

Archived