IGNORED

Shopping? We Don't Need No Stinkin Shopping, Sun. 12/23 Breakfast Ride to Julian

EffBee

I don't know about you, but I'm a little burned out on holiday shopping, so I need both a goal and a diversion. The weather man says it's gonna be 70 degrees this Sunday. That means a mid-40-degree ride up the mountain to Julian and one of those Marco omeletes with ham chunks the size of Vegas dice, enough cheese to have actually stressed the cow, and a pile of seasoned potatoes that a half bottle of catsup can't cover.

Of course, for you vegetarians or veg wannabees, there's always the apple/walnut oatmeal pancakes (another of my faves) as well as other small-plate delicacies guaranteed to be gentle on your waistline. lmao.gif

I doubt there will be much competition for restaurant seating at the Julian Bakery on that day, so an easy 7AM departure from my house, with an 8AM rendezvous with those who want to wait at the Mobil Station off I-15 at Hwy 79 South, puts us at breakfast at 9AM., out at 10 and home by noon, just in time for football and a nap, or vice-versa.

Believe it or not, this was the missus' idea. Hmmm, wonder why she wants me out of the house this close to Christmas?

Anyway, I'm going. Anyone else tired of shopping, let me know. FRS channel 2.0

Sure! Now it's 70 degrees.... WTF? Where was that two weeks ago! lmao.gif

Have a great ride!

Matt, it's just gonna be 70 for a day or two. Then it'll plummet back down to where it is today. 62. grin.gif

Sure! Now it's 70 degrees.... WTF? Where was that two weeks ago!

Umm.....I'll point out the obvious for ya, they knew you were coming! lmao.gif

Happy holiday's to all you "left" coasters!

Sure! Now it's 70 degrees.... WTF? Where was that two weeks ago! lmao.gif

Have a great ride!

Matt, it's just gonna be 70 for a day or two. Then it'll plummet back down to where it is today. 62. grin.gif

Yeah, sounds like our weather here.... Oh well. One of these days! wave.gifwave.gif Accept of course the beach is on the wrong side of the road...

7 a.m......7 A.M!!!!! Did I read that right!!???? Fernando, are you slipping???? No o'dark before the birds get up thirty??? You know I'm just joken. Wish I could be there but I'm gonna be where the high is 30 (if we are lucky in Truckee) and partaking in one of my other favorite sports - skiing!! Have fun and stay safe!!

The "Queen" wrote:

7 a.m......7 A.M!!!!! Did I read that right!!???? Fernando, are you slipping???? No o'dark before the birds get up thirty??? You know I'm just joken. <snip>
Very tempting... Hey, I rode 300+ miles roundtrip to Los Osos for carnitas last weekend with the FJR boyz - maybe 400 miles for apple pie in Julian isn't so zany? But wait, a 7 AM roll-away breakfast run from Pomona (?) is a little early for me to arrive given my location. If later and with predicted weather, this candy-butt (non-LD) rider might join in. I'd consider it a training run of sorts for the MLK DV Daze event!

thumbsup.gif

Jeff

Bill, looks like so far you're the only possibility. I guess you'll be taking Ortega Hwy over the top and down to I-15. I'll meet you at the Mobil station at the 79 South exit (hint: turn left at the offramp). If you're not there, I'll assume you're at one of those early-bird mall shopping specials. grin.gif

7 a.m......7 A.M!!!!! Did I read that right!!???? Fernando, are you slipping???? No o'dark before the birds get up thirty??? You know I'm just joken. Wish I could be there but I'm gonna be where the high is 30 (if we are lucky in Truckee) and partaking in one of my other favorite sports - skiing!! Have fun and stay safe!!

Norah, you won't get up to go riding at 5AM (OK, you did once), but you'll get up in 30 degrees to go skiing. You're one-of-a-kind.

Hope your holidays are happy ones, with lots of apres-ski. wink.gif

AdventurePoser

Great idea, Eff Bee...

Jennifer and I are tentatively in! Assuming the boyz in Service are done with my bike... thumbsup.gif

Steve in So Cal

Great idea, Eff Bee...

Jennifer and I are tentatively in! Assuming the boyz in Service are done with my bike... thumbsup.gif

Steve in So Cal

I'll go back there and break up their poker game and tell them to get on your bike pronto! grin.gif

Norah, you won't get up to go riding at 5AM (OK, you did once), but you'll get up in 30 degrees to go skiing. You're one-of-a-kind.

Hope your holidays are happy ones, with lots of apres-ski. wink.gif

What about getting up in 30 degree weather to go riding?
Great idea, Eff Bee...

Steve in So Cal

I'll go back there and break up their poker game and tell them to get on your bike pronto! grin.gif

Even if they're not, maybe someone that works there can hook you up with a loaner or an extended test ride? grin.gif
What about getting up in 30 degree weather to go riding?

Naw, I'm too much of a princess. It has to be at least 70 with no wind and no sun in my eyes..........NOT. I think that any of us that have gone to Torrey have riden in some pretty cold weather. You all have fun on Sunday and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!

Hey Nora,

Remember, no passing on a double yellow. dopeslap.gif

Have a great holiday. wave.gif

Rest of you clowns, enjoy your ride and the pie. I'm jealous. grin.gif

Bill, looks like so far you're the only possibility. I guess you'll be taking Ortega Hwy over the top and down to I-15.

Naw, it will still be dark. I'll take I-5 south to 76 and then north on I-15 to 79.

I'll meet you at the Mobil station at the 79 South exit (hint: turn left at the offramp).

I know where the Mobil station is. I met you "fine gentlemen" for the Thanksgiving ride way back in Ought-6.

If you're not there, I'll assume you're at one of those early-bird mall shopping specials. grin.gif

If I'm not there, it won't be because of Christmas shopping. I told The Boss that I would be bringing back a pie, so I've got permission. It's always good to know what her price is.thumbsup.gif

AdventurePoser

I'm pretty confidant the Boyz in Red will have 'er all done today or tomorrow! They are a great group of service techs! thumbsup.gif

Steve in so Cal

I'm trying FB. I did something to my back and haven't been able to tie my work boots in 2 days. Even had trouble getting on and off that 06 RT on the showroom floor today. grin.gif

I'm trying FB. I did something to my back and haven't been able to tie my work boots in 2 days. Even had trouble getting on and off that 06 RT on the showroom floor today. grin.gif

Marco - You have to go. Who else is going to be my rabbit?

grin.gif

Maybe this question should be posted in one of the technical forums, but do you know if the restaurant can pack a pie so that it won't be cobbler by the time I get home?

Stop laughing. This is serious stuff!

Only if you have a top case. Take a tupperware type container with you and have them box it for ya.

I can't see you ever getting it in one of your side cases without it coming out looking like cobbler, it'll still taste the same just look a little strange.

I remember one time calling for pizza during a card game with my buddies when I lived up in the Mt's in Malibu. When we opened the box, all the toppings had slid to one side of it. Fortunately, we had already downed a few six packs by then and just laughed about it. lmao.gif

Only if you have a top case. Take a tupperware type container with you and have them box it for ya.

I can't see you ever getting it in one of your side cases without it coming out looking like cobbler, it'll still taste the same just look a little strange.

Even with the top case, it can bounce around, right?

Visualize me trying to keep up with EffBee while keeping that apple pie looking like pie.

eek.gif

Maybe this question should be posted in one of the technical forums, but do you know if the restaurant can pack a pie so that it won't be cobbler by the time I get home?

Stop laughing. This is serious stuff!

Bill, I do it all the time, and whether it's the top case or side cases, here are the tricks.

Cornering is not a problem. I've even scraped pegs. The issue is the abruptness of the transition from upright to leaning. Be smooth. This is particularly true if it's in the top case as the amount of movement is greatest the higher off the ground the pie is.

Accelerating from a stop should be done smoothly. Once at speed, the RT's acceleration isn't enough to dislodge a well-baked pie.

Braking. Ah, here there can be problems. Your braking forces can be quite high and this can dislodge the pie from the tin. Increase your braking distances (as well as the gap between yourself and vehicles in front of you) and you shouldn't have problems.

I've brought home three pies at once, thoroughly enjoyed a moderately brisk ride home, and didn't even have a crack in any crust when I got home. You might want to bring some towels so that you can "pack" each pie box in the saddlebag or trunk to keep it from moving around.

The sugar-crumb-topped apple pie from Mom's in Julian is out of this world. And their strawberry-rhubarb pie is exceptional as well. If you're ever there for lunch, go to Jack's Market. Inside, in the back, they operate a tiny deli out of a Dutch door. Most people don't even know it's there. They have a Black Forest Ham sandwich that's not to be believed.

Bill, I do it all the time, and whether it's the top case or side cases, here are the tricks.

I wasn't worried about the acceleration. After all, I ride a Boxer. I don't use my brakes, so that's not the problem. What I am worried about are the bumps at, ahem, the legal speed limit officer. Towels are a good idea. I'll be packin'.

Dennis Andress

'Nando....

If you've got the time, and don't mind a few extra miles, could you drop a pie off in Camarillo? wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

Just joking. But, we wish we could be there.

Dennis & Laney

It's going to be up to a whopping 32F at breakfast time! Whoohoo!

Actually, if we arrive at 9am it'll be 39 degrees, and by the time we leave at 10AM, we're gonna be in a 46-degree heat wave. BRING THE MESH GEAR!!!

AdventurePoser

Cornering is not a problem. I've even scraped pegs. The issue is the abruptness of the transition from upright to leaning. Be smooth. This is particularly true if it's in the top case as the amount of movement is greatest the higher off the ground the pie is.

Accelerating from a stop should be done smoothly. Once at speed, the RT's acceleration isn't enough to dislodge a well-baked pie.

Braking. Ah, here there can be problems. Your braking forces can be quite high and this can dislodge the pie from the tin. Increase your braking distances (as well as the gap between yourself and vehicles in front of you) and you shouldn't have problems.

I've brought home three pies at once, thoroughly enjoyed a moderately brisk ride home, and didn't even have a crack in any crust when I got home. You might want to bring some towels so that you can "pack" each pie box in the saddlebag or trunk to keep it from moving around.

The sugar-crumb-topped apple pie from Mom's in Julian is out of this world. And their strawberry-rhubarb pie is exceptional as well. If you're ever there for lunch, go to Jack's Market. Inside, in the back, they operate a tiny deli out of a Dutch door. Most people don't even know it's there. They have a Black Forest Ham sandwich that's not to be believed.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Steve

'Nando....

If you've got the time, and don't mind a few extra miles, could you drop a pie off in Camarillo? wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

Just joking. But, we wish we could be there.

Dennis & Laney

Whoa, yet another BMWST'er from Cam! thumbsup.gif

Jeff

Hey, you guys say you don't need no stinkin shopping, but all you talk about is shopping pies! Ok, I understand. I've been to Julian once and I love the pies. thumbsup.gif

It's going to be up to a whopping 32F at breakfast time! Whoohoo!

Actually, if we arrive at 9am it'll be 39 degrees, and by the time we leave at 10AM, we're gonna be in a 46-degree heat wave. BRING THE MESH GEAR!!!

You're right once again. EffBee. I was thinking eight o'clock, not nine.

Regardless, I'm going to have to bail and not because of the weather. I've been in bed all day long. It feels like the flu (I've experimented with several positions around the toilet) even though I've had a flu shot.

I did manage to get up for a meeting at a jobsite today. After about 30 minutes, I was feeling queasy and told the others I had to leave. Before getting in my car, I left a present. I guess I looked pretty bad. The client offered to drive me home.

I went back to bed when I got home and got up only to watch my beloved Cowboys. Hey, I'm not dead.

So, as it stands, I now have to do tomorrow what I was supposed to do today. Sigh...

Have a great ride. Sorry I'm going to miss it.

<snip> Have a great ride. Sorry I'm going to miss it.
Get well Bill and be healthy for your FW Tavern ride. It's looking like some FJR boyz plan to join you for lunch!

Jeff

<snip> Have a great ride. Sorry I'm going to 24miss it.
Get well Bill and be healthy for your FW Tavern ride. It's looking like some FJR boyz plan to join you for lunch!

Jeff

Thanks. I've lost four pounds this weekend. While many who know me would call that "a good start", I wouldn't recommend it as a diet plan.

I'm focused on next weekend. My string of 31 consecutive months with at least 1,000 miles per month (after subtracting commuting miles) is on the line. I've only got 924 miles to go blush.gif

It's only 225 miles from my house to Guadalupe, so I'm going to have to come up with some creative detours. I've thought about leaving Kirk Creek on Sunday morning heading north for breakfast on Cannery Row in Monterey then cut inland towards Hollister and then south on Hwy 25. That will give me about 854 miles leaving me 70 miles short.

I thought about going further north, stopping for lunch in Point Reyes for example, but the weather forcast shows a storm coming south that weekend.

It should be interesting. A ride to Julian today would have made the whole planning process simpler.

A ride to Julian today would have made the whole planning process simpler.

It was a nice ride. Steves1150plus50 got there ahead of me, as did John (bmwdude). RussellW showed a little later, rolling in all the way from Moorpark on his Tuono (and earning the day's long-distance award at about 400 miles round trip just for breakfast). Outstanding food and very good conversation. The place was surprisingly packed, given the date. We even had to wait a short bit to get a table. But it was worth it.

Put an apple/boysenberry crumb pie from Mom's in my left saddlebag and rode moderately back down the mountain, with RusselW and his Tuono patiently on my wing. Doubt that poor Tuono even used half its cornering clearance. But the pace was good and the pie got home without any cracks in the crust and maybe a half-dozen crumbs out of place.

Had some after dinner last night. MMmmmmmmm!

Hope you get your miles in. That's quite a string!

Archived