IGNORED

Arizona and California Riding?

Twisties

Hi,

So, the bikes are staged in Phoenix. We're riding 12/22 through 12/31.

We have thought about Baja or Big Bend/Corpus Christie. I think both of those are out. Sharon is concered about ice storms in TX, and we're just not ready to deal with a foreign country again after Italy this fall.

So we're left with S. AZ and S. CA. Trip is a mix of camping and hotels. We're on RTs, so no heavy duty dirt. Limited well maintained dirt ok.

Looking for suggestions of roads and sights to see, maybe short hikes (up to two hours round trip).

Thanks!

Jan

Take the US 60 from Phx to Superior. Then head to Winkleman/Kearney on 77 S. At the T intersection ride north again to Globe turn west and head to Globe proper. The Salt River Canyon is 77/80 North.....88 to the 87 is a great ride too. But watch out for Barney Fife on that stretch! crazy.gif He is in to writing his mom and closet relatives, so watch the revs or you'll be getting an AZ coupon from the DPS.

If the weather is nice..and it very well could be, take 87 north to Payson and have lunch @ the airport.

Going south on SR 85 or the 1-10 to the 238 west to Gila bend then to the border, Lukeville is a not so twistie ride but Organ Pipe NM is there. On the return trip take the 86 East to Indian 15 north to Casa Grande then back on I-10 to Phx.

And if your up for a longer trip Kitt Peak Observatory is south of Phx on the 86 east @ the 386 turn off.

All of these are fantastic rides....the southern routes are longer than 4 hrs round trip w/o any sightseeing. Plan your day and remember that AZ is sunny and warm in the day but the nights turn very cold in the desert.

Ride safe and PM me if you need anything else.

Have a safe trip...and I am off those days, I can be a tour guide if I am around. Regards, Dave

Well if you like riding roads that are your namesake (Twisties),

and you also want to hike, I would suggest the Santa Monica's.

Yes, we do like those twisty roads thumbsup.gif.

That looks good... How long would you hang in that area, 1-2 days? Any particular canyon roads or hikes? Any recommendations on places to stay (hotel or camping) or eat in that area?

Lets say we did do a couple of days in the Santa Monica Mtns, then our trip might be something like Phoenix to San Diego, up the coast to Santa Ynez (love the wine country in winter), and back out to Phoenix. What else should we see along that way. Note: We've hung out in LA, but have never been in San Diego or along the coast between LA and SD.

Something like this (End of route from Beatty to Phoenix not shown):

ROUGH ROUTE

The weather looks good for that time frame.

If you just ride & not stop & smell the roses, you can ride most of the S.M. roads in a day.

Years ago I hiked up in the Circle X Ranch area & its along a nice riding road.

That said it is in the West end of the mountains which is in Ventura county & those roads are not as well maintained as the ones in L.A. county.

As far as lunch, there is small market located in the community of Tapanga that offers made to order sandwiches.

Then head up into the hills for a nice view & enjoy your lunch.

If you want to have lunch along PCH, then Neptune's Net is were the bikers hang out.

A bit to the East is Malibu Seafood, but for the best fish & chips (that I know of), Andria's cant be beat but its too far away to be practical.

I would avoid 166 as its too boring & crowded.

Instead go a bit further north to 58.

If you don't make it that far North, then 33 out of Ventura is a nice road providing it's ice/snow free( likely it will be).

Also I would avoid 178 as its too crowded. A few miles to the East (off 58 from Bakersfield) is Caliente/Bodfish road or North of Bakersfield is 155.

As long as you have the time I would chose the road(s) less traveled.

Yosemite? I wasn't thinking that far north or that high of elevation for this ride in December. Are you riding there this time of year?

We were talking about maybe doing the Sierras on our way to the UN, but now there is a suggestion of the Pied Piper North and Pied Piper South meeting in Torrey, so I am in a world of conflict. Maybe we will need a Pied Piper West too.

Thanks for the invite!

Archived