IGNORED

Trip planning and Maintenance

TGarner

A friend of mine and I are planning on taking a month long trip around the country next Sept.I am planning on taking my 1996 BMW R1100RS. It should have 50K miles on it by then. What maintenance should I perform over the winter to be prepared for this trip?

Nothing more than you would normally do when servicing it normally.

Ensure fresh rubber and adequate brakes for the trip and perform any maintenance/parts replacement that would "normally" be required while gone yet would cause undue down time to maintain/repair. Eg., if the alternator belt is due at 55k and you are currently at 50k, yet your trip calls for 10k, it would be prudent to replace the belt prior to leaving or, at a minimum, inspect it for wear and make a judgment call on whether it is adequate to get you home.

Wear items are your concern. How old is the battery and how is it performing? Brake fluid swap? Shocks? Leaks? Rough running?

Correct anything that you have "been meaning to do that" but have not yet done.

Other than that, gas, pack light, and Ride Sally Ride! thumbsup.gif

Rocket_Cowboy

I agree with everything Phil said. Any where item that would need to be replaced during the trip (assuming a service is needed mid-trip), I'll go ahead and get that knocked out before I leave. I don't mind having service done mid-trip, but want to keep it as simple as possible ... just oil/filter/valves if I can get away with it.

I agree with what was said but would expand it... go find the maintenance schedule and ensure every required item on it has been done.

Fuel filter comes to mind....

Archived