IGNORED

Adventure Ride-> NorCal to Un2008

skinny_tom (aka boney)

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I'm putting out feelers for interest (I can't commit at this time to actually attending the event). I've got a lot of off road route information, and have promised some off-road routes in the John Day area to our UnOrganizer. (this means pre-Un scouting! deal.gif) I'm looking at tracks, routes, maps, atlases and electronic data, and I like what I see. It's giving me grand ideas.

Is there interest in a muti-day (3-5+) "adventure" type ride from the Bay Area, or regions north, to John Day?

Similarly, I have Oregon Backroads Discovery Trail tracks from Walla Walla Washington south to near John Day, and from Ashland north to Bend then east to near John Day which I'm willing to share. I've ridden these routes and can give you detailed information.

This would be for adventure bikes shod in knobbies and people with enough off-road experience to negotiate varying terrain, including small sections of sand, steep hills and loose gravelly roads (the UnOrganizer can bring an RT if he chooses wave.gif). The rest of the plan can be adjusted to suit the riders bikes, skillz, and availability.

What say you?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

This looks like a promising route from the end of Henness Pass Road. Henness Pass starts in Nevada City and is relatively fast, so a very early start in Nevada City could put the end of a long day right around the Black Rock Desert. It might make for some fun camping/sunset-sunrise pictures.

Alternately, some of the known slower stuff around Bordertown could be cut off and a pavement stretch could be added to Gerlach allowing for an earlier arrival to the Balck Rock area or get more miles under the belt.

I'm prolly in long as I can take the KTM and you guys will help me pick it up....

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I've told ya before, you pick it up and we'll take the pictures! lmao.gif

Oh, and I am offering up our place in Diamond Springs for the rally point start for this!!

Let the excitement building begin. clap.gifclap.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Oh, and I am offering up our place in Diamond Springs for the rally point start for this!!

Let the excitement building begin. clap.gifclap.gif

I don't know of any unpaved, relatively quick ways over the hill from that far south. Ideas? I'll start checking around.

Keep in mind that if I'm along, my pavement speed is considerably lower than yours.

Keep in mind that if I'm along, my pavement speed is considerably lower than yours.

That would be the great equalizer as my off road speed will be considerably lower than yours! grin.gifgrin.gif

I'll check around as well.

Great idea! That way you'll at least be able to visit with everyone for a few hours before you head in to work! eek.gif

[ducking and running] lmao.gif

Great idea! That way you'll at least be able to visit with everyone for a few hours before you head in to work! eek.gif

[ducking and running] lmao.gif

Hey, don't you have a spline to go lube or something!?!? eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

• 3 months later...

Boney,

Is this DS ride in the direction of the UN still being considered? I may be "IN", depending on departure date. Any route update? What kinda total distance/time are you planning the route for? I'm down for some dirt.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Yes, it is still being considered. I don't have a start date yet, or a definate route. Both of which can easily be tailored specificly for the bikes, riders, and time.

Archived