IGNORED

Preliminary Christmas Trip Route: Suggestions Welcome

Patience

The image is a bit big to fit on the board, so here's the link:

The idea is to basically get south as quick as possible from Minnesota, then head west. The northern loop through Colorado is scheduled for the way back, so I can check out apartments to move to in the next couple of months.

Christmas Route

The California part isn't near done, as I haven't had a chance to review the pashnit site yet. It'll get a whole lot more squiggly before I end up leaving.

I'm not entirely sure on the dates yet, but should have those soon.

Any suggestions as far as places to eat, ride, visit, or stay, along the course of the route, would be welcome, detours are well within the scope of possibility. Hey... I'm retired for the next two months. thumbsup.gif

Since this is a bit more risky time of the year, and the likelyhood of getting stranded/waylaid is somewhat higher due to below freezing temps on various parts of the route, I'll definitely have my cellphone charging from the bike. If anyone would be willing to be a contact person I can get in touch with if something happens, in order to get a message on the boards, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your input folks!

Adam

Here's a pretty good route north from San Diego:

Before I forget, I thought I'd just write down a good route for you from Jamie/Leslie's to Monterey:

N on 15

NW on 138

W on Angeles Crest

NW on 210

N on 5

W on 126

W on 150

Ojai would be a great place to spend the night

N on 33

W on 166

N on 101

N on 1

Your route north through California should be Hwy 1 all the way from San Luis Obispo to the northern terminus. Maybe the best ride (over all) anywhere! Having said that, the ride is much better going south since you're on the ocean side of the highway. Much better!

The idea is to basically get south as quick as possible from Minnesota, then head west.

Are you getting far enough south? I know the roads into Denver have gates to let them close it, I wonder if those get much use. ;)

I'm slating that part for the way back, so I can hole up for a couple of days if I need to wait some weather out. Any good adventure merits a certain dose of insanity. Fortunately, I don't seem to have run out yet.

you're riding correct? when exactly are you planning to come through colo?

while 25 is a fast 75mph min! you have to come over Raton pass from NM as well as Monument hill between the springs and castle rock. it can be sunny on the plains until you get close to either one of these.

depending on your time frame i would suggest being at your destination before 4:30 each night. the trek across 70 denver/kansas could be delayed due to winds blowing across the hwy creating ground blizzards!.

as long as you have a back up plan good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
as long as you have a back up plan good luck.

My backup plan is Patience, and Joblessness. The combination of which allows me to sit on my bum wherever I end up if it starts snowing. thumbsup.gif

Okie dokie. I finally managed to squeeze some dates out of my parents for when they'll be there, so here's the preliminary schedule for the trip.

Hmm. It looks like my original link is funky too.

Here's a better one.

map pic

Sometime Between 12/28 and 12/31 Depending on weather:

Day 1 Leave Minneapolis, ride to Topeka, KS (~500mi)

Day 2 Leave Topeka, arrive in Denver, CO (~550mi)

Day 3 Spend time in Denver evaluating apartments to move to.

Day 4 Leave Denver, arrive in San Diego, CA (~1500mi) BBG

1/2 Sunday: Be in San Diego by this date.

1/3 Monday: San Diego

1/4 Tuesday: San Diego

1/5 Wednesday: San Diego

1/6 Thursday: San Diego

1/7 Friday: Ride to Costa Mesa, practice lane splitting eek.gif

1/8 Saturday: Costa Mesa

1/9 Sunday: Costa Mesa

1/10 Monday: Get up really early and ride to Modesto

1/11 Tuesday: Thrash Nor Cal

1/12 Wednesday: Thrash Nor Cal

1/13 Thursday: Thrash Nor Cal

1/14 Friday: Thrash Nor Cal

1/15 Saturday Ride to Bakersfield

1/16 Sunday Bakersfield

1/17 Monday Evaluate the forecasts and webcams, and decide whether Donner Pass is an option. Ride like a bat out of hell across the pass if it is. Arrive in Reno.

The schedule gets a little hazy at this point, as I may end up having to cut back down towards San Diego to cross the mountains. Either way, that's the start of my trip home.

I'll plan the actual route through Cali at some point over the next few days as I go over the Pashnit site, but that's the main points of it. At any point along this route, If anyone's interested in riding together, grabbing a meal, or whatever, feel free to drop me a line. I'd enjoy the chance to meet some of you.

Leo Schamblin

Adam

the central valley (Bakersfield to Modesto) at this time of year is subject to intense fog. You might want to consider going up the coast and crossing over to Modesto. Weather on the central coast is usually very nice at this time, it will be a slower, twistier, but much more interesting route. San Diego to Modesto figure two days and enjoy the sights. I am located in Bakersfield and if you need anything while in this area do not hesitate to call. cell # is 661 204 4353

Leo

2-3 days in denver isn't enough to evaluate a place to live. job wise anything lined up?

denver itself is price crazy rent wise.

i might suggest one of the outside suburb areas.

also depending on time frame drop me a line perhaps we can have a beverage somewhere.

Take the comments about fog in California's central valley seriously. I was once in the midst of a 25 car collision on Highway 99 about 30 miles North of Modesto. Visibility was less than 100 ft. Usually the fog is worst at night and till about 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning. It usually clears up then untill late evening. I live in Modesto. There are some nice rides around here in both the Sierra foothills and the coastal foothills that aren't up into the higher, snow covered areas. One of my favorites is to go to Patterson, and head up Del Puerto Canyon and ride up to the Junction, and head out Mines Road to Livermore. Heading back over Old Patterson Pass Road makes a nice day loop ride. Lots of twisty curves and interesting views.

Say hi when you are in town,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a bunch for the info folks. Dave, I'll definitely watch out for the fog, especially after reading some of the discussions of what fog can do to roads under ride well, recently.

Since weather looks like it is cooperating, here's the final schedule. I've got a ton of PM's so I'm trying to consolidate the schedules involved. I've done my best to try and remember all the times that involve coordinating them. If I've missed anyone or any event, please let me know. Between moving and prepping for this trip, CRS is kicking in full swing.

12/28 Tuesday: Prepping bike, grieving the fact that the weather is going to be beautiful, and I don't get to feel tough by riding in below freezing temps.

12/29 Wednesday: Riding to Kansas City (BBQ at Lawnside @ 6pm)

12/30 Thursday: Getting up and Riding to Denver

12/31 Friday: Finding apartment to move to.

1/1 Saturday: BBG to San Diego

1/2 Sunday: Show up on Jamie and Leslie's porch @ 2am.

1/4 Tuesday: New Tire on @ Brattins, and do a bunch of service work. Lunch with Les & Jamie.

1/5 Wednesday: Go Riding around San Diego, practice lane splitting

1/6 Thursday: Go Riding around San Diego, practice lane splitting

1/7 Friday: Ride to Costa Mesa, practice lane splitting

1/8 Saturday: Tech Daze

1/9 Sunday: Costa Mesa

1/10 Monday: Get up really early and slab it to Modesto, spend the day Canyon Carving.

1/11 Tuesday: Thrash Nor Cal

1/12 Wednesday: Hang out in Napa Valley with Boney

1/13 Thursday: Thrash Nor Cal

1/14 Friday: Thrash Nor Cal

1/15 Saturday Ride to Bakersfield

1/16 Sunday Bakersfield

1/17 Monday Evaluate the forecasts and webcams, and head towards MN.

If anyone should need to contact me, my cell number is in my profile. I'll be hooking the cell phone up to the autocom today. Okay... now for the to do list...

12/28 Tuesday: Prepping bike, grieving the fact that the weather is going to be beautiful, and I don't get to feel tough by riding in below freezing temps.

12/29 Wednesday: Riding to Kansas City (BBQ at Lawnside @ 6pm)

At about 10AM PST, I got a cal from Adam with a slight revision of the above information. wink.gif

It seems that there is an ice storm in Minnesota right now and Adam is enjoying the view of said storm from the inside of a Harley dealership . He says he's the only bike there! grin.gif SO. . . Adam doesn't think he'll be in Kansas anymore (Toto) for the BBQ. He'll keep you posted through us as the trip progresses (or not) grin.gif

More later, I'm sure. Watch "Ride Tales" for further information.

Since this is no longer n the planning stage, and is now a Ride Tale, I'm closing this thread. Please see Ride Tales for Adam's continuing adventures.

Archived