IGNORED

Torrey Area Road to Get "Improvements"! ?? Alert

hopz

All the 'features' that they want to improve (make safer) are what makes UT12 such a blast to ride. Barricades, wider shoulders - bah humbug. Next they'll be telling us it needs increased highway patrols to insure our safety.

Another US 129 bites the dust via popularity and publicity.

It is nice to see the "Desert Doc" featured prominently in the artical. That guy is a real hoot!

I feel Utah has a good grasp on what brings tourist money to their state and hopefully the promises stated in the artical are preformed will minimal invasiveness to the joy of the ride.

There have been a number of hearings locally where people generally let it be known they didn't want guard rails. There isn't a lot of opportunity for straightening the road without massive and expensive engineering projects. I expect they will put the concrete barriers on the Hogsback because of the school bus driver's comments and add some turn out places but that's about it.

Seems the couple times that I did the 12 the scary thing was the tar snakes in the turns up top while cavorting in the twistys. Whata pucker factor! Wasn't watching the scenery so much as concentrating on the road surface.

All good things come to an end, 'specially when roads and areas are desinated as 'GOOD' by some power and then everybody has to go see what you knew all along. Then it's ruinated forever by the need to attend to all the folks that want to be there now! Oh, Dang the Bad Luck! dopeslap.gif

Did anybody check the comments on that story?

From "Atlas Spanked":

"As someone who lives along Highway 12, I'm disappointed that the state (which never spends money on anything other than asphalt) is going to dump a ton into upgrading this perfectly good road, and all to satisfy flatland RVers (most of whom are clearly seniors with diminishing road skills, who are totally unqualified and unfamiliar with maneuvering large trucks). Another beneficiary is the motorcycle clubs, who's aggressive driving - along with Porsche rallies, has become one of the biggest safety threats down here. An example: When a BMW cycle club stayed in my town last year, the president got up and addressed all the members saying, "the roads are so good down here you can go 140 no problem." In autumn, I regularly get passed by cycle riders going 90- to 120-plus, and last month, I had three of them zoom between me and an oncoming fuel semi, just because they were catching up to their pack. "

As much as I love those roads, maybe we need to dial it back a little bit, in the interest of keeping the locals on our side.

Did anybody check the comments on that story?

From "Atlas Spanked":

" When a BMW cycle club stayed in my town last year, the president got up and addressed all the members saying, "the roads are so good down here you can go 140 no problem." In autumn, I regularly get passed by cycle riders going 90- to 120-plus, and last month, I had three of them zoom between me and an oncoming fuel semi, just because they were catching up to their pack. "

eek.gifblush.gifcrazy.gif

More turn outs would be nicer than having them spend their money on a few more local LEO's.

Archived