IGNORED

RTE- Far Western Tavern December 29th

OlGeezer

That looks pretty interesting....have to keep an eye on the weather....I will let you know as the time gets closer. Any concerns with getting a camp site? I see it is a first come/first served type deal...

That looks pretty interesting....have to keep an eye on the weather....I will let you know as the time gets closer. Any concerns with getting a camp site? I see it is a first come/first served type deal...

There are always concerns. Kirk Creek is a very popular place and one of my favorite campsites (hint: this is where I've indicated I wanted my ashes spread; from the cliffs above the ocean at sunset). That being said, I didn't have any trouble getting a spot last year and it was magnanamous as usual.

Well I am going to give it a shot, but where I am snow is a possibility, so I cannot really make any promises yet....rain is no problem but ice/snow is something I can do wtihout riding in....I have the entire week off (24th-1st) and like the camping idea (and the steak idea)....I'll bring the cigars!!!

It looks like this needed a bump...

There is still room for a few more. There will be some interesting motorcycles in the parking lot (hint: I might be the only one without a fuel cell).

I am still trying to make it but (right on cue) we got 2 or 3 inches of snow last night so I will have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if I can make it out of here or not....supposed to rain later today, which would be great, but at this point I would say I am 50/50 on attending....I'll post here again tomorrow if I cannot make it out, will know by 6:30am or so...

I am still trying to make it but (right on cue) we got 2 or 3 inches of snow last night so I will have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if I can make it out of here or not....supposed to rain later today, which would be great, but at this point I would say I am 50/50 on attending....I'll post here again tomorrow if I cannot make it out, will know by 6:30am or so...

I've got a spot for you if you can.

Good luck.

It is 34 degrees here right now after a high of around 36 today, but I am hoping the predicted rain storm will materialize tonight and bring the temps up a few more degrees. I just need to make it the first few miles and the elevation drop will take care of the ice/snow....bike is packed and gear is at the ready...just need a little luck.... wink.gif

ARGH! I just rode by Guadalupe two days ago and did not know about the Far Western Tavern. Sounds like a grear place. However we did have lunch at a really good BBQ rest. called Rancho Nipomo BBQ. It located at Hwy 101 and EAST 166 on the west side of the interchange. The pulled pork sandwhich is great and easily enough for 2 people to share.

I hope the folks that make it have electric gear. I was fine on the way to Paso Robles on Wed. but coming back to SoCal on Thursday I was cold. Mid to upper 40's all the way to Santa Clarita. Ride safe and have fun.

If you are riding on Rt. 58 west from McKittrick, Ca to SLO make sure you go slow in the corners as you ascend up the Carrizo plain. There is a ton of SAND on the road. Once you get to the summit you will be fine.

Keith

AdventurePoser
ARGH! I just rode by Guadalupe two days ago and did not know about the Far Western Tavern. Sounds like a grear place. However we did have lunch at a really good BBQ rest. called Rancho Nipomo BBQ. It located at Hwy 101 and EAST 166 on the west side of the interchange. The pulled pork sandwhich is great and easily enough for 2 people to share.

I hope the folks that make it have electric gear. I was fine on the way to Paso Robles on Wed. but coming back to SoCal on Thursday I was cold. Mid to upper 40's all the way to Santa Clarita. Ride safe and have fun.

If you are riding on Rt. 58 west from McKittrick, Ca to SLO make sure you go slow in the corners as you ascend up the Carrizo plain. There is a ton of SAND on the road. Once you get to the summit you will be fine.

Keith

I hear you about the cold...

lmao.giflmao.gif

flag.snow.bike.jpg

Steve in So Cal

Not sure who showed from this forum other than Bill (nuts, I didn't meet you), but what an opportunity to see LD bikes and riders converging on a place for a steak sandwich. This was a RTE event at it's best! The Far Western Tavern seemed like a start of an Iron Butt Rally where most of bikes sported fuel cells and related farkles! Thanks go to Bill (OlGeezer) and Dean (NinjaBoy) for extending an invitation!

Jeff

I did end up making it also, rained all night and melted the snow off. Just got back a few hours ago after camping out last night w/Bill on the coast at Kirk Creek as planned. Last I saw the olgeezer he was heading south for home from Half Moon Bay after we had lunch around 2:30pm or so....

p1010004aqu5.jpg

p1010006ij8.jpg

I made it back. I just got out of the shower. 7-1/2 hours from Half Moon Bay to San Juan Capistrano (486 miles). Not bad for an OlGeezer, eh?

What an incredible weekend. Lunch at a nearby restaurant with some good friends (both old and new), spending the night falling asleep to the waves crashing on the cliffs down below, riding along the Pacific Ocean on the last weekend of the year. A great way to wrap up the year!

thumbsup.gif

Archived