IGNORED

G 650 X Handguard install

Firefight911

I installed the BMW brand handguards to my G 650 X Challenge this afternoon. Took all of 45 minutes to an hour.

I am very impressed with the build quality of the guards. They fit up exactly as they are supposed to and there are no surprises along the way. Weird, but the instructions actually made sense as well!!

Here's the kit with the large handguard protectors that I opted for:

233171197-M.jpg

First, I installed the protectors. They slide over the bar and screw into it with the supplied bolts. The holes are threaded and line up perfectly.

233171467-M.jpg

I started on the left guard.

Cut a hole for the threaded mounts.

233171664-M.jpg

Here is the threaded mount installed:

233171856-M.jpg

Now install the bar end, bolt, and guard loosely to the bike. Then install the inboard bar mount with the bolt, supoort, nylok nut, and other bolt.

Once everything is installed loosely, align them as you want and tighten. I used loctite on all bolts except the nylok nutted one.

Note the three different sized allens!!

233172142-M.jpg

233172349-M.jpg

Left side complete

233172516-M.jpg

Throttle side is a little trickier but not really.

Cut hole and then roll the grip rubber back on itself to reveal this:

233172689-M.jpg

233172870-M.jpg

You need to cut the end of the throttle tube off to this point:

I cut from the hole on the end and made pizza cuts. I then removed those pieces. Aftr this I just shaved back until I had enough clearance to not bind with the bar end after install.

233173034-M.jpg

233173207-M.jpg

Threaded guard mount installed. Note that there is still quite a bit of grip rubber at the end. After install, I cut off the lip at the end as it would not allow the grip to rotate without binding.

233173398-M.jpg

All done. Here you can see the final trim of the grip rubber:

233173550-M.jpg

Hope this helps for those who go this route.

Nice writeup, thanks for showing those BMW handguards.

But Phil, seriously, your bike is TOO clean. smile.gif

My version of the same theme:

img0842cr6.jpg

Next week's episode of "Farkles for the X-Challenge" shall be "How to modify the front fender to stop mud & rocks flying to my own face."

--

Mikko

Yea, yea, yea!! I know. I merely hosed off the chunks and wiped it down. I HATE working on dirty stuff!!!!

Trust me, it will get dirty again soon!!!

230154606-M.jpg

P.S. Shut up, Danny!!! grin.gif

Good picture.

It's nasty that white stuff, makes the bikes want to take a nap...

I ran into it yesterday too, and boy I take boulders, loose sand, mud... anything rather than snow & ice.

--

Mikko

Disclaimer. My use of word the "boy", and any other word in this post, is completely without any derogatory meaning or negative undertones.

russell_bynum

Nice.

Do you think they'll be sturdy enough to do some good? They look fairly tough, but it's hard to tell just from the pics.

Edit: That throttle tube looks exactly like the one on Lisa's DR200 (and I had to cut the end off to install guards on her bike, too). I wonder if they're from the same supplier? cool.gif

Nice job Phil, how about a pic from about four feet away. I know, i'm a PITA. smile.gif I'm running out of time for getting a very good deal(I Think) on a X/C for myself. I Know you said you like the bike, but do you really like it? I would like to have a $h1t eating grin that I could not wipe from my face if I drop the cash on this. grin.gif

Pat

I see a flaw in their design.

Okay, two flaws.

They'll probably be fine for your level of riding tongue.gif, but the first time you whack a tree really hard, you'll find them.

lurker.gif

but do you really like it? I would like to have a $h1t eating grin that I could not wipe from my face if I drop the cash on this. grin.gif

Pat

If I could post this sort of grin here, I would!!! The bike is much better than the press it has garnered. This is, IMO, a true sleeper of a bike if ever there was one.

GO FOR IT!!!! It won't let you down!!!

I'll work on the distance shot when I get a chance. thumbsup.gif

I see a flaw in their design.

Okay, two flaws.

They'll probably be fine for your level of riding tongue.gif, but the first time you whack a tree really hard, you'll find them.

lurker.gif

Most of us don't, as a course of habit, steer INTO trees. Usually, I do my best to steer AROUND them!!! Must be an East coast thing, I guess. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Rookie!!! wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

lurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif

This coming from a guy who makes wooden teeth!!! Are splinters extra or a free added bonus?? grin.gif

Cut it out with the artsy fartsy photography, & go ride the thing already!!!

I guess you don't have trees any closer together than fifty feet, so maybe you'll be okay.

Till you hit snow again, anyway. lmao.gif

Oh, & if I'm such a rookie, howz come you keep PMing me with questions, hmmm?

Smartboy. grin.gif

Archived