IGNORED

Planning a week-long trip to Colorado from Houston

Theophilus

Tommy... I lived in Spring for 7 years, and rode another type of motorcycle back then... I led a group from our club from Houston to Grand Junction, CO and it was among the best rides I ever took.

PM me for details but we took 287 from Ft.Worth to Dalhart for first night. To Raton for the next- short leg cause we had to wait for another group to catch up to us. Across New Mexico on highway 64- one if the best in the west, through Taos, Pagosa Springs and into Durango for night three. Last leg came to Dolores and Hwy 145 north up the west side of the Million Dollar highway, Telluride, Naturita and 141 into Grand Junction. Return trip was diagonally across Colorado back to Raton.

Great trip. Cannot go wrong. It will rain in the mountains!

I think my primary question for those here is what options are there for "high roads" other than Trail Ridge Dr. in Rocky Mtn. Natl. Park? Most roads tend to follow rivers and valleys and allow you to look up at the mountains. I would like to ride a "high road" or two that would allow me to look across at mountains from elevations that approach those of the peaks being viewed. I would very much appreciate any help with finding such roads in Colorado.

(Thanks, Bob. See my PM.)

Tommy - It's a rare road that doesn't follow a valley or river for very long. Even Trial Ridge Rd is just a mountain pass and the "high road" concept only lasts for a few miles. It's always up and over. Any mountain pass will afford the best views of the area from the road and there are a lot of them in any mountainous area. Colorado's are just higher.

A week might only give you a taste, and a small one at that, since you'll spend a day on each end just crossing Texas.

Here's some information from another similar thread recently LINKY

Yeeha! Stephen
To Raton for the next- short leg cause we had to wait for another group to catch up to us... across Colorado back to Raton.

Always looking for a place to eat. Ever find a good place in Raton and live through the experience?

A week might only give you a taste, and a small one at that, since you'll spend a day on each end just crossing Texas.

Here's some information from another similar thread recently LINKY

Joel,

So true, so true. Thank you very much for the link. Lots of good stuff there!

Eating in Raton... yes, a challenge. We found a pretty good lunch spot just to the West of the main drag... I think it was on Brilliant, or State street. In an old house, filled with locals. Must be only good place.

A good place for dinner? Never found it... good luck, but I can suggest you avoid the Holiday Inn across the street from the Best Western. A good place to waste two hours waiting for service and then only mediocre food.

Just did a quick look at Google Maps and the Holiday Inn I mentioned seems to be gone... R.I.P. no big loss.

Archived