IGNORED

Starter service walkthrough is ready.

steve.foote

Many have commented about a loud whirring/squealing noise coming from the starter immediately after startup. It happens as soon as the engine starts and you release the starter button. The cause is a dirty starter shaft keeping the starter gear from properly retracting after startup. The solution is to clean and lube it.

Here's how:

BMW R11xx Sticking Starter Service

Edit: Try here for the PDF.

Steve

Thanks for your time and effort in putting this together. I haven't ecountered this problem yet, but it doesn't appear to be a daunting task.

If/when I do have to tackle this problem, I will have your reference with me.

Thanks again!

I can not seem to access the starter service PDF. Is anyone else having this problem.

Ken confused.gif

Sorry guys, every now and then my web server stops responding (even though it is automatically restarted every night).

It's back up now.

Awesome job, Steve!

Thanks! Uh and I can't thank you enough for coming up with something to give Jamie another project! eek.gifgrin.gif

Just trying to keep the guy busy. grin.gif

Very nicely done Steve! Not to mention timely. My starter has started to drag a bit when the butten is released and I will be doing this repair soon.

Thanks! thumbsup.gif

Jim cool.gif

Sweeeet! smile.gif Not only another project to distract me from ever finishing my garage, but I get to buy new tools, too! grin.gif

Thanks, Steve! I owe ya one, Buddy! thumbsup.gif

Great writeup and pictures Steve!

Hey, you've got very nice hands for a man (in spite of what David tells me).

grin.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

Jim, those ARE David's hands. I was holding the camera. eek.gifgrin.gif

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. wink.gif

Hey, and thanks to all of you for the nice comments. I've received so much useful information from so many of you. This is just a token of my appreciation.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I was wondering if it would be possible to get the owner of this site to make a tab for all these great procedures in a PDF format so they could be in one place instead of constantly searching for them?

Howard

I was wondering if it would be possible to get the owner of this site to make a tab for all these great procedures in a PDF format so they could be in one place instead of constantly searching for them?

Most of them are, Howard. smile.gif Click "M/C FAQ" from the menu at the top. This one was just created, but with Steve's permisssion (Steve? Steve?) we'll add it, as well. Meanwhile, we'll "keep" the thread so that it does not auto-delete.

Howard,

Most of the write-ups like this have been collected in the MC/FAQ page (click here) located in the header on each page under the "touring" in the site's title. There is also a DB faq below that, but they are different pages. As far as putting them all in PDF format, personally, I do not have that software (or ability! dopeslap.gif ) and or the additional time, but if you do, and would like to contribute any expertise to the project, please feel free! thumbsup.gif Remember this is a free site run by volunteers and it is always a matter of free time available to do things like this. Many people have stepped up and made some great contributions like this as well as even more time and resource intensive one's (like Ted's Spline Lube Procedure DVD! thumbsup.gif ) For our continued success, "We've come to rely on the kindness of strangers!" grin.gif

I would think that anyone who has posted these sorts of write-ups would not have any problem with it being made available in PDF format, but as a courtesy, I would check with the authors just to make sure. If you do put something together, let one of the Administrators know and they can add it to the M/C FAQ page for everyone to benefit from! cool.gif

This board is so great because of the time and effort the members contribute! clap.gif

[edit: Dang, that guy types fast! eek.gifgrin.gif ]

Thanks Steve, very well done. Perhaps I’ll take a look at the starter motor as a precaution this winter ,with your walkthrough it should be a breeze.

Thanks again

Steve: And another thanks. Since Jamie will have the tools perhaps we can all send our starters to him for maintenance!!!! Isn't that another duty of a moderator????

Most of them are, Howard. Click "M/C FAQ" from the menu at the top. This one was just created, but with Steve's permisssion (Steve? Steve?) we'll add it, as well. Meanwhile, we'll "keep" the thread so that it does not auto-delete.

David, I would be honored. cool.gif

Most of them are, Howard. Click "M/C FAQ" from the menu at the top. This one was just created, but with Steve's permisssion (Steve? Steve?) we'll add it, as well. Meanwhile, we'll "keep" the thread so that it does not auto-delete.

David, I would be honored. cool.gif

Done. Thanks, Brant.

Wow!!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

This board and the people never cease to amaze me!!!

Great job, and thanks for sharing!!!!!!!! thumbsup.gif

Archived