IGNORED

Thinkin' 'bout Nova Scotia

paulcbrowne

Next summer, I'm thinking of doing a loop around Nova Scotia with the wife. Anyone know if your need to make reservations ahead of time(other than for the Cat ferry)?

I'm not into camping. Motels, B&Bs, or guest houses are my preference. I'd like to be free to go or dawdle though. (Went to Ireland and wished afterwards that I'd just obtained a cell phone to call ahead rather than pinning everything down ahead of time.) Advice from anyone who's been to NS recently would be most appeciated. BTW, I'm pretty open right now as to when to go.

When Beth and I went we had made reservations in advance.

We took 2 weeks and had 2 nights in a few spots and single nights elsewhere.

Most B&B's were booked.

We did change on reservation and found a small B&B that had a vacancy that night.

During busy season, I'd recommend reservations.

The roads vary from very good to awful in places (frost heaves).

We rode every loop but stayed out of Halifax.

There is a Doers & Dreamers book available from the Nova Scotia tourism site.

http://www.destination-ns.com/forms/guide.asp

They also have lsits of B&B's w/types of accomodations.

With many visitors from other parts of the world, rooms vary from suites w/bath to bed w/bath down the hall.

The food was excellent at all the places we visited, the proprietrors friendly, and the other guests enjoyable.

We did 2 nights to give the luxury of exploring, visiting places, (like Fort Luisbourg) and not having to pack up every day.

Get there early for the CAT as the good seats go quickly.

Bring something for seasickness. My crossing was smooth as glass, but other friends were on ones where they ran out of barf bags. eek.gif

If you cut across the island on interior roads you can roll along (mindful of lower limits).

If you are on the coastal roads, the scenery is wonderful, many places to see, but the overall pace is slow and you should allow more time to cover distances.

There was a place to convert currency right after getting off the CAt that had the best rates and having some for small items is a plus, IMO.

But, your CC will aotumatically convert to current rates.

With the high rate of exchange, some places treated US currency like Canadian and gave change in Canadian.

Weather is variable, fog always a possiblilty.

We had great weather, but rain is common.

Laurie's motel inCheticamp had good rates, a lundry, and good food w/in walking distance.

Something to ask about is how far the B&B is from the "town". We found some that advertised as being "in" X put wre really a mile or two away. Not an issue if you want to ride for the sightseeing, but there are times it is nice to park and walk.

Have fun.

It's a great trip but you'll really want to make reservations ahead. Not many options if all the hotels are filled. Hey what happened to the Mountaineers confused.gif

I've been there twice with no res. I stay in the small towns in b&b's/usually check in about 4pm. Never a problem.

Donna and I were there on our 12GS this past summer (late August early Sept.) About the only thing I would add to what the others have said is allow more time than you might at first think. It's a lonnng way up to there, and NS is a lot bigger than it looks on a map. And depending upon what time of year you go, be prepared for cool weather riding. It gets cool/cold pretty early, especially along all the coast.

We stayed on Cape Breton, and rode among other things the Cabot Trail, but there are lots of great choices.

Not withstanding Marty's experience (he could talk the Governor into giving up his bed) I'd make reservations!

Do it! We had a great time.

If traveling in tourist season, I'd recommend reservations. Also, if you're going that distance, you should go to Cape Breton Island, and ride the Cabot Trail. If you do, I'd suggest staying in Mabou at the Duncreigan Country Inn (run by American ex-pats) http://www.duncreigan.ca/

If you stay there, you're within a five-minute walk of the Red Shoe Pub -- good food and drink, and great music. http://www.redshoepub.com/

I think August is your best bet, weather-wise.

I am in New Brunswick the province to the west. If you come in June or August it is highly likely you will not need reservations. July is peak tourism.

I ahve not heard anyone mention taking the Cat one way and driving the Bay of Fundy coast through New Brunswick on the other leg. Fundy tides are the highest in the world and can approach 30' from low to high tide. There are places you can walk 1/4 mile out from shore on ground that is under 25' of water every 16 hours or so. The bay supports a colorful and plentiful ecosystem that is different then anywhere else in the world. There are places in SW NB where you can take ferries and watch whales swimming if you're lucky.

Just a thought.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

The Bay of Fundy (at the North end of Nova Scotia, is a must see. Stay overnight in the area so you can see Max High tide and then about 6-8 hours later, you can "Walk on the bottom of the Ocean"--30+ feet below. Also, be sure to visit the very quaint village of Peggy's cove and the monument there to the Swiss Air flight that went down about 8-miles off-shore. Since you're in that area, plan to go across the bridge to PEI, and maybe even spend the night in the "West End Lighthouse" B&B.

Here is our route. We're leaving on the 27th of June and taking the CAT Saturday morning the 28th from Portland to Yarmouth. This is set up in 8 legs with an over night at the Bay of Fundy.

NovaScotia-2008.jpg

Archived