IGNORED

The Big Easy at New Year - Louisiana Roads?

ElevenFifty

Sharon and I are riding to NO on the 29th and will stay in the Quarter till the 1st, then back to ATL. I've been to NO many times but never ridden around there. I'm looking for advice for a couple of day trips - 3 to 5 hrs tops.

I've read about Red Bluffs and am thinking about a run down to Grand Isle state park. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

River road both east and west banks--you can cross the river at I 310. Go Up to SR 70 cross back and come back down the east bank. The west bank has more plantations, but both sides are nice--not fast, but sweepers and decent surfaces and little traffic. On the east bank you will ride through the Bonne Carre Spillway--an "overflow" for the river to the lake.

The ride to Avery Island is a fairly long one--3hours??, but that area is pretty. I think you'd have to consider spending the night if you did it and toured Avery Island. Abbeville is a cute little town nearby.

Re New Orleans, proper, you can do the disaster tour (despite what you see or don't see on TV, there's lots of disaster left and will be for years) and head out to Lakeview and the 9th ward and Chalmette and St Bernard. You just head out N Rampart St which becomes St Claude Ave and then St Bernard Hwy, just follow it. For Lakeview just head out Canal St and then dogleg and follow Canal Blvd to the lake. When you get to the lake, take a R and follow Lakeshore Drive until you get to Elysian Fields Ave (yes, "Elysian Fields"). Take a R and you will be going through Gentilly, better recovered. Elysian Fields goes all the way to the River. You can take another R and you will be back in the Quarter within a few blocks.

an interesting ride is US 90 east bound over Chef Menteur Pass and The Rigolets.

If you are going to ride the city itself, do Magazine street--lots of shops and places to eat ( recs for that if desired). The Streetcars are supposed to be up and running on St Charles Ave by then and if they are running the whole route you should do that, ie leave the bikes and take the streetcar.

Esplanade Ave which borders the Quarter is a very New Orleans Street and heads to City Park. Whe you get there, you can explore the park or take a right and head out Wisner to the Lake. Just keep going and you will hit the lake. Take a right and you'll be near Elysian Fields.

get a map, because many streets parallel the river which curves and then there is a grid on top of that.

Directions are frequently given as River side vs Lake side, and Uptown side vs Downtown side (referring to Up river vs Down River)

any specifics, please ask. Don't be afraid to ask for directions, we know it's confusing and will try to help.

John

PS it is NOT pronounced "NAW-Lens"

New Or - Lee - uns is ok

New Or - Lens is ok

and we accept New Or - Leens from tourists--and in the song, which made every native cry after Katrina

Archived